HELP HELP HELP

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

sithwarrior

Club Guest
People...I was travelling on the kerinchi link yesterday and I something strange happened to me. My wipers suddenly stopped working in a heavy downpour. Nothing I tried worked, then just at the bend, which by the way I did not see coming a balck van over took me and came really close. Just then I swerved and my car spun and almost hit the barricades. All this is becoz of my god damn wiper. But after I switched off my car and started it again. It worked fine again. Can any one explaine to me what happened ? The situation may not be as forgiving the next timeYour serious advice on this matter will be greatly appreciatedThanks in advanceSithwarrior

if it happen during heavy downpour, chances is that there might be some water got into your ecu. Better to open the firewall in your engine compartment and check for any sign of water ingress.

Another thing is to check for all the connectors in your engine compartment for water ingress. Sometime, the water diverter at the bottom of the radiator is missing. This will cause water to be splashed to the crank sensor and short the electric. (the crank sensor is located just below the water pump)

seems like water ingress into wiper motors or connectors. I am GUESSING but worthwhile to check. on connectors - remove, clean and wd40 the connectors ( taping may help ).

good to know you hit nothing along the scenery!

How fast were you travelling, did you slow down say to 15-20 km/hr?

Whoa bro, rain and E36 325i don't mix well. I had a few close calls too when I had my E36 (but then again, that was with gung-ho driving style in the wet and I was asking for it). Better to slow down in the wet.... just in case the tail decides to be "happy" and give you a scare.

dang,dude i hope ur alrite!
glad nothing bad happened to u buddy!

it could be tht ur wiper motor is on the way to heaven.....need to change lor.
or it could b the wipers itself,there rt many reasons why tht happened.
hope u get to the bottom f this buddy.
take care aight.
rgds,
-brad-

Sith,
Glad that you are alright. Agree with Jules, water must have sipped in causing a short-circuit on your wiper motor. Better get it checked and make sure its sealed water-tight to prevent re-occurance.
Cheers bro. :D

Thanks guys for all the advice,

Mtek, Jules yeah will do just that.. Calling Unker Jarance need your technical expertise.

Flash Yes I have to agree now that I have experienced it. What a scary feeling

Tyke yeah gonna get it checked

The rest thanks for the advice

Sith

Pls check the wiper relay. Sometimes when its about to kaput, intermittent like what you experience can happen.

Bro... glad nothin happened to u mate .

cereful..mate .

Anyways there is this rain sensor thingy . U know when u put it at low speed and say u stopped at lights . They wiper will automatically go to intermittent/ intermediate whatever mode .

Maybe that mechanism had screwed up. get that checked too bro.

take care

hope it didnt occur on yer way to my place rite eh dude? errr errr ...

rgds, B)
kahar abdullah

Sith,

Glad to hear that nothing happened to you.....as for the car, I think that you are allegic to bimmers..........muaahahhahahaha!

Originally posted by kevster30@Aug 15 2005, 05:23 PM
Sith,

Glad to hear that nothing happened to you.....as for the car, I think that you are allegic to bimmers..........muaahahhahahaha!
aiyo dont like dat lah... so sad lah if allergic to bimmers... not worth living oledi... :cry:

sith ...glad nothin happen to you and ya baby ....maybe you need to mandi

bunga lorrr :p

Sith,

Thank goodness your OK. Yes, I too am having a similar problem with my car; the damn wiper just stops working suddenly. This especially happens after I stop at traffic lights. Vigorously moving the wiper stalk switch up & down does not seem to work either. Then after a few minutes it starts working again. I've check & cleaned the stalk switch/connectors contacts and that doesnt solve the problem. Its most likely the wiper control unit, which has the speed sensor signal into it. There are a couple of relays + electronic components in this box. I wanted to replace the relays (soldered down to the PCB) but its not commonly found here. If you look at the parts catalog, you need to replace the whole unit - its under the dashboard on the passenger side. Its either you get a new one or get a reliable used one. I'm looking for one at the moment. In the mean time if it fails again then just pull over to safely park your car.

Thanks Guys really great advice.. felt like shite coz didnt know what caused it.. at least now I have an indication...

Thats why this is still the best club to be in :p
sith

Sith, there is a reason why I asked the question on how fast you were travelling at the moment of that incident. As fireblade has shared his experience, that is pretty normal. There is nothing wrong with the wiper control unit. It is designed to slow down when the car slows or stop at traffic. You can try this at home...just on the wiper and spray some water (to prevent the blades from being damaged). It should move maybe once every 20 to 30 secs. I believe there is a trick to set the time interval hehehe... :D

Top Bottom