Having Issue with Fuel Consumption E36 325i(A)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

drag

Club Guest
Anybody had issues with high fuel consumption, not a heavy footer and yet still the same problem..I get like 220KM for RM80..superbly bad that i don't drive the car often..Would appreciate any info on improving this matter..Thanks ;)

that's very bad, even for city driving.

Check the following:
1. Spark plugs, tire pressure, wheel bearings
2. O2 sensor
3. Knock sensor
4. VANOS (if you use VANOS most of the time)

The best is to go for a diagnostic test. With that kind of mileage there should be some warnings already. Let us know if you still could not find what is wrong.

You should get in the region of 400km (city driving) for that $$.

BTW, what size of rims are you using?

have you done anything to the car lately?

changed rear differential?

wirings for the car?

any performance parts added to the car?

when did you notice this abnormal situation, was it because the car wasn't driven for a long time?
if yes then suspect would be rubber hoses, connectors, and even hardening of the injector O rings can cause excessive fuel consumption

My beemer car run up to 510-520km/h for RM85-90 (after petrol price increased). But drive in normal way and no full throttle (city driving).

Dear All,

Thanks so much for the info...really appreciate you guys feedback on this..will personally try what u guys recommended..

Cheers,

Drag

I did 400km for Rm80 city drive with traffic morning and evening,
E46 320i, is this normal ??

but after taken out my cath converter it safe more petrol .... But i realise when stuck in jam FC goes crazy like drink water

From my own experience (328i), changing the non-functioning camshaft position sensor (as diagnosed by MODIC , the FC went up 50km. It also got rid of an irritating ticking noise. Too bad it cost about RM800 inclusive of labour and MODIC.

Originally posted by wkwoo69@Jul 12 2005, 08:24 PM
From my own experience (328i), changing the non-functioning camshaft position sensor (as diagnosed by MODIC , the FC went up 50km. It also got rid of an irritating ticking noise. Too bad it cost about RM800 inclusive of labour and MODIC.
huh, camshaft position sensor cost abt RM280/=, how did manage to chalk up RM800, is it the o2 sensor u were referrin to...

Can't remember how much the part itself cost, but when I queried, the mech said a lot of labour involved. Famous w/shop in Segambut....

to replace the crankshaft position sensor(CPS), a lot of labor is involved for example:
1. Removal of fan
2. De-pressurize coolant system
3. Removal of radiator hoses
4. Removal air filter box
5. Loosen a few parts to allow the CPS wire to wiggle out and remove the plug
6. Reinstall all and put in coolant and voila.

If you idle a lot in KL traffic jam dont expect your consumption to be like a small K car.

Hi there, I'm a new forumer here. Just got my e36/325. Also having problems with fuel consumption rm20/85km exactly as tested... :angry: ..the car is fiitted with 17"rims and ACS exhaust system. Should I run diagnost check, and can this rectify the problems? Mind if friends here could give the recommended w/s...thanks

Originally posted by affan66@Jul 12 2005, 11:56 PM
to replace the crankshaft position sensor(CPS), a lot of labor is involved for example:
1. Removal of fan
2. De-pressurize coolant system
3. Removal of radiator hoses
4. Removal air filter box
5. Loosen a few parts to allow the CPS wire to wiggle out and remove the plug
6. Reinstall all and put in coolant and voila.
thats not true, I can remove the crankshaft sensor just by removing the fan...

Might also check if there is excessive wear on the auto tranny causing too much slippage. Big power and fuel sapper.

dvng,
I am just re-capping what my mech did. If you can do it better, by all means. From what I observed, the wire should go under the VANOS cover and a few other places which is why the mech had to dismantle the parts I mentioned.
Maybe my mech can learn from you. I can save a few more bucks on labor.

Just tested with rm80 and can last to 350km city driving (+sport mode a bit :D )...think its normal (hopefully). Mine...e36 325i.

Bro Lionel, is it normal....? :huh:

Top Bottom