hard disk

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

willie

Club Guest
sorry, not sure under which furom this topic should go so i put it here lah..... i just bought a laptop, my question is how can i protect the hard disk??? i heard that it is very sensitive to vibration, which may cause damage to the hard disk, so won't last long, is it true??? but then to avoid vibration, what is the use of laptop???? previously my ex laptop only tahan me 2 years then the hard disk gong liao..... i hope that my new one can tahan longer leh....as compared to desktop hard disk, which one is more stable ah??? how abt SATA hard disk ( we all know that it has high RPM, but then is it sensitive to vibration ah??)))thanks,willie :p

You cannot really on any hard disk. It may kong in 1 year, 2 years or even 2 weeks. best is to backup your data. Get an external USB 2.0 or firewire harddsik to backup your data.

oo, i mean let's say my desktop computer is running, and i accidently kick the CPU(until the whole CPU moves), will i actually damage anything inside????

Which laptop did you buy? If its an IBM, the newer models now have a hard disk protection utility which basically sensors movement or vibrations and automatically protects the hard disk by pausing or parking the hard disk head. Pretty cool, so if you were to drop your notebook accidentally at least you have the comfort to know the hard disk will be protected. I know I have dropped my notebook and hard disk is still ok. :p

Your luck must be good that day. We have some bad sector harddisk with IBM thinkpads here.

Originally posted by ehoe@Mar 30 2005, 11:11 AM
Which laptop did you buy? If its an IBM, the newer models now have a hard disk protection utility which basically sensors movement or vibrations and automatically protects the hard disk by pausing or parking the hard disk head. Pretty cool, so if you were to drop your notebook accidentally at least you have the comfort to know the hard disk will be protected. I know I have dropped my notebook and hard disk is still ok. :p
yaya, my sister bought that got one system that pops up to tell u that ur harddisk is at risk, and it will take one second to lock the hard disk.....

but then, mine is compaq la......

Originally posted by soorian@Mar 30 2005, 11:48 AM
Your luck must be good that day. We have some bad sector harddisk with IBM thinkpads here.
actually how to check wheter got bad sector in the harddisk ah??? last time in command prompt can do checkdisk... but then now window XP how ah????

Hello...

Its the same like how you maintain any machine.... Maintenance cames into pictures.

I have Hard Drives which can last me 5 years and still kicking...You prefer nowadays bigger capacity and its cheap as well .

Maintenance on Defragmentation will be good every 2 months if you are doing heavy file storage. However one other thing you can do to reduce track reading time is to do calibration. Tools such as Norton Disk Doctor helps.

However the other thing you must bear in mine is the Vibration/handling of the disk. Try to minimise impact. Some Notebook cames with Impact protections. Ya... and try not to do "hard" shutdown ! its tends to create bad sector in long run...

Oh yeah.. like what Jarance and soorian said..... backup la bro...storage devices are cheap now.... get yourself a CDR/W drive or even a DVD/RW, its the cheapest backup solution you can have..... One more thing... the lesson I learnt... When my notebook was stolen, that "parker" stole my backup USB harddisk as well..... So... put it in a different place !!!!! :cry:

Cheers :wink:

Top Bottom