Getting an 36 - 328i - Need advise

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

legendeer

Club Guest
Hi guys,I am new on this forum, and so far have pretty much read up everything on the 36's. I need to get a car by early May, and i've decided its going to be the e36 328i.Moving forward, i would like to say i need advise here. My concern lies in power. If say, for example i get the car, and feel i need more out of it, what would it cost for me to fit in a S52B32 I6 (M3 '96-'99) engine plus all the necessary equipment that goes with it?Or would i be better off going turbo?Pls advise on both, power and costs.Rgds.

Hi Bro.. Here are my personal views towards E36 328..

Many actually op for 325 as the iron engine block of 325 has more potential and also more durable!! But if you take the 1997-99 328 then you will have traction control, digital aircon, better condition and etcs..

Sad things is the new alloy engine are very sensitive to heat.. once over heat!! you may have to say bye bye to the engine..

just my personal views, many other guru may share their experience with you..

Both S52B32 and turbo are good option, but
say, after few months, if feel like you want MORE power, you can always upgrade the turbo setup for more power.
you can't with S52B32. :)

Thx Geoffreylee, but i didnt quite get the new alloy part. U meant 2 say the 328i has alloy block?

And turbo, coming from you, i'd be disappointed if u said S5b2! (after all you ARE TURBOLOGY) :p joking ah. Thx 4 d advise dudes.

I wanna post another query at this point. Honestly, which would you guys do? Buy a new proton, or take the E36 325? (Considering cost of mantainance). Just wondering, as i am in a bit of a headache now, alot of opinions from alot of people. Oh i forgot to say i get the UDM parts at supplier price. What do you think? Proton or Propeller????

haha... if u wan less headache of cos buy proton.. maintaining bimmers are always hard and expensive...buying 40k used bm is different wif buying 40k new car

You need to get an expert to tune your turbo if you decided to go the turbo route. S50b32 is more than enough that you can handle. I would go the s50b32 route.

Over heating is not an issue if you take care of your cooling system. Just that don't get a car that has been over heated before. How would you know if a car has been over heated before? I honestly have no idea.

This leaves me at a dead end....Even if i get a Proton, i am gonna rip it apart and turbocharge it.....no difference. Kinda stupid 2 get a brand new car and mod it immediately yeah? Haih....dono la i think i shall meditate on this 2nite and decide tomorrow. Besides, i hate Proton's..

You all forgot to ask the first basic question.

"Got deep wallet or not?"

KE KE

South Africa got. You want ah? e39 M5 also got but must be patient lo. hehe

So how bro?

Before you make your decision:

1. Cheap
2. Reliable
3. Fast

You can only pick 2. Period. :D

Heh Africa ah....everything oso got. Dowan buy engine reach here i kena kastam angkut coz gt cocaine inside, instead of pistons...heh. Thx for the tip turbo. I think going turbo is cheaper...but long run M3 cheaper..Nice 3 choices....i think thats a law of nature.

OK dudes, mebbe i shud change this topic to getting a 325i, but would any of you have an E36 325 to let go? o ur frens? i nid sumtin in good cond, not 1 dat will break down on d way 2 work. If gt, i promise to look after her than i would look after my wife!

Wouldnt it be cheaper to get a 318iS manual or auto, n then get a turbo or supercharger on it? the fact that its a 4 cyl engine w an iron block means that its boost friendly and cheaper on fuel off boost? N lighter so its actually less nose heavy around corners??

Wouldnt it be cheaper to get a 318iS manual or auto, n then get a turbo or supercharger on it? the fact that its a 4 cyl engine w an iron block means that its boost friendly and cheaper on fuel off boost? N lighter so its actually less nose heavy around corners??

to all sifu here,is there any different for a E36 328i year 1999 compair with the early model?

spikyone;315634 said:

Not a bad idea. But 318iS quite rare and the panels are 90% different from other E36s. Parts might be different too. Whatever it is : Conclusion, Power no cheap. hehe Can easily spend double of your purchase amount and still no end in sight (i.e. RM40k for the 328i and another RM40k for mods).

Hello legendeer

Im a newbie as well .. i own a E36 328i , wat i feel is worth buying ...it , very powerful car , stable and i really feel maintenance as a big thing here as u will be happy to have and drive this car on the road and u will feel the experience ..

maintenance a little expensive , not much different comparing 325i or 318i here ... if u really want BMW , u must put a site cash for maintenance since its a 2nd car

I could say a little fuel save since its bigger CC car ..

and of course roadtax is expensive but if ur finance is ok .. i dun think so its a problem for u fren ..u can renew every 6 months once as u wont feel u spending so much

Top Bottom