German Castrol Syntec 0w-30 or Castrol Edge Sport 0w-40?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

autoque

Club Guest
Which one would be better for the N52 engine?German Castrol Syntec is known for using the Group IV basestock, thus a true full synthetic. But it is not the latest product from Castrol.The latest model is the Edge Sport, but I don't think it's a true Group IV based synthetic like the German Castrol. But it's probably got the latest technology in it.I wish I could get the German Castrol Edge, but that's not an option.I'm in a country that sees all four seasons, spring to winter. So I'm not too worried about the 0w part of the viscosity rating.So which one would be better?

I've heard nothing but praises for german syntec which the oil weight is on the heavy side of 30W :D

But imo both oils are very good since they conform to BMW LL standards. What is most important is regular oil change intervals.

B33mEr;581547 said:
What is most important is regular oil change intervals.

I agree wholeheartedly about the importance of regular oil change.

My biggest beef though is that BMW dealers in my country only authorize free oil change only when the computer indicates the need as part of the free maintenance program. And because I drive very little (but many frequent short distance trips), I waited for the first ever oil change 1 year and 8 months in a new vehicle!

In North America dealers are obligated to change the oil at least once a year.

So I plan to have the oil change done in between the free oil changes. I'm worried how much damage has already been done to the vehicle though.

Top Bottom