Gearbox warning lights up!! help!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

fashraf

Club Guest
Need help from all E46 sifus here. Recently my expansion tank leaks and I went to get it replaced. They asked me to check the water level the next day as they worry that air bubble might got trapped in the water cooling system. They told me it might cause the car overheated. But when I check the next day everything was just fine.But the 2nd day after that, I notice the transmission warning lights up intermittently. Normally after short drive. When this happen the gear shifting jerks badly. Sometime the "D" indicator also dissapear while driving. The "R" also sometime dissapear while reversing which cause the reverse light didn't lights up.I asked a different workshop to check and they have replaced a "transmission switch" which located under the gearbox and caused me rm1500 inclusive of replacing the transmission oil and filters. But sadly the problem, is still there. :( Just exactly like before any repairing!Any relation with the expansion tank replacement before? what could be the problem? Really need you guys help!!!!!

'Gearbox warning lights up'-same case happen to me but problem solve after changing gearbox oil (7 liters),auto filter & gasket.total damage - RM 550 only.

i have been down that road before and i am sure many others have been down this road with me. what's happening is that your gearbox is failing. slowly but surely and more catastrophic each time it fails. sorry to be so dramatic, but its quite true.

let me guess, your mileage is almost 100k or more than that. your gears don't engage properly sometimes (meaning u accelerate and nothing happens) and you drive for a bit and the transmission failure light comes on. you have to stop the car, restart, sometimes the light goes away and you can drive as normal, sometime it doesn't and you have to wait longer to restart the car. there are numerous other symptoms and issues which are too long to list.

no amount of repairs will ever fix it. if you intend to keep the car for some time still, i would advise that you bite the bullet and replace the entire transmission unit with a brand new one. this will save you spending RM1500 x 10 or RM3000 x 5 (which is what I did) and not having the gearbox issues go away. ever.

fashraf;477820 said:
Need help from all E46 sifus here. Recently my expansion tank leaks and I went to get it replaced. They asked me to check the water level the next day as they worry that air bubble might got trapped in the water cooling system. They told me it might cause the car overheated. But when I check the next day everything was just fine.

But the 2nd day after that, I notice the transmission warning lights up intermittently. Normally after short drive. When this happen the gear shifting jerks badly. Sometime the "D" indicator also dissapear while driving. The "R" also sometime dissapear while reversing which cause the reverse light didn't lights up.

I asked a different workshop to check and they have replaced a "transmission switch" which located under the gearbox and caused me rm1500 inclusive of replacing the transmission oil and filters. But sadly the problem, is still there. :( Just exactly like before any repairing!

Any relation with the expansion tank replacement before? what could be the problem? Really need you guys help!!!!!

sorry to hear that....i think seasonal as i have the same problem but slightly diff. Mine, if never use for a few days, the warning light appears....am in the midst of getting the gearbox switch change, hopefully it works hence using kereta potong so that dont spend too much if doesnt work...

coincidentally was discussing with the mechanic and he also say if the transmission suddenly change when driving, likely would be gearbox ecu problem....

I suggest u get a friendly kereta potong to loan u and if doesnt work, refund....pay only if work...

You may want to try but again if your mill is a little high, above 150 km, then, likely gearbox...

anyway, i'm just giving input from what i hear but didnt validate as yet...

cheers

leewint : yes my mileage is slightly above 150k. But mine when the warning signals pops out, the gears can shift as per normal, just when everytime the gear downshift feels jerky. Funny things is sometime the gear indication (P,R or D) sometime just dissappear (this is when the warning signal pops out). But when the indicator is back everything come back as per normal.

onepro : i did that already but the problem still there intermitently.

bmwlim : thanks for your advise. will do that in the future.

p/s : I have strong believe that my gearbox is still ok and the problem caused by faulty/intermittent electronics.I notice something now, my angel eye which was installed (aftermarket) before have failed on one of the ringlight. Can this cause the electronics to become heywire?

After checking everything and still dont dont what to do.. consider to check the thermostat for the ATF cooler. It located at the bottom and under the expansion tank. This thermostat tend to choke up due to the sludge built up from the coolant.

The ATF oil can overheat and cause the GB to go crazy.

The angel eye failure is due to the ballast got fried when it is installed in the headlight.

bro jarance,

can the atf cooler thermostat thingy can be easily done by ourself? what to check?

one Pro;477921 said:
'Gearbox warning lights up'-same case happen to me but problem solve after changing gearbox oil (7 liters),auto filter & gasket.total damage - RM 550 only.
Can i know what type of gear oil they change for u?

Bro kelvin teoh,
They use 'BMW ATF oil' RM 42 per liter (use 7 liter),for auto filter-RM 75,auto gasket-RM 45.

jarance;478280 said:
After checking everything and still dont dont what to do.. consider to check the thermostat for the ATF cooler. It located at the bottom and under the expansion tank. This thermostat tend to choke up due to the sludge built up from the coolant.

The ATF oil can overheat and cause the GB to go crazy.

The angel eye failure is due to the ballast got fried when it is installed in the headlight.

bro jarance,

i must thank you a thousand for saving my pocket from creating a big hole! I nearly change a reconditioned gearbox and the control unit as advised by the workshop which nearly cost me RM5K + RM4K!

The problem is due to the thermostat that was removed and never put back when they replaced the expansion tank earlier. Can u guys imagine my car was without the thermostat that suppose to take care of the gearbox temperature for the past 5 days. I guess if i continue another 2-3 weeks, my gearbox will totally kaput.:eek:

again thanks for your thought on my problem. You are a truly an UDM taiko!:top:

fashraf, I am really happy for u!
Jarance, u da man!:top:

By the way, which shop u r going? How can they be so careless? Suggest you not to go there anymore lah, who knows what will happen next?

fashraf;478845 said:
bro jarance,

i must thank you a thousand for saving my pocket from creating a big hole! I nearly change a reconditioned gearbox and the control unit as advised by the workshop which nearly cost me RM5K + RM4K!

The problem is due to the thermostat that was removed and never put back when they replaced the expansion tank earlier. Can u guys imagine my car was without the thermostat that suppose to take care of the gearbox temperature for the past 5 days. I guess if i continue another 2-3 weeks, my gearbox will totally kaput.:eek:

again thanks for your thought on my problem. You are a truly an UDM taiko!:top:

You are most welcome.

Learn from experience and watching people work.

For those who want to know the culprit, here is the picture of the thermostat.

P1040101.jpg

fashraf;478684 said:
bro jarance,

can the atf cooler thermostat thingy can be easily done by ourself? what to check?

Not easy DIY.. you need a special tool to remove the clutch fan in order to remove the radiator.

But once you remove the radiator, the job is quite simple. :listen:

BTW, if plan to DIY, there is two stoppers provided with the thermostat (one long, one short). Use the short one for petrol driven.

So better to leave it to the expert.. :listen: (or else workshop will closed).

Top Bottom