Gearbox Problem - First time I heard of this solution

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

freakster

Club Guest
Hi everyone,I've the problem whereby my GB warning light will light up and go on limp mode whenever I drive my car hard for about 30 mins or so, and when I say drive hard, it's like revving up between 3.5K-5Krpm or so.Previously, most workshops told me is GB problem, need to rebuild or overhaul, but today I went to MScope and the boss told me that one of the error code was due to the GB overheating, hence he advise not to proceed with the rebuild first, but rather change the cooler for the GB first.It was the first time I heard of this advise since I can't seem to find anyone talking about this problem/solution in the forum. Was quoted 800+ for this.If rebuild, will be 8K+ which is scary!Please share your opinion bros.Thanks.

i got fed up with the stupid gb warning, even after rebuild, ended up i changed to a brand new gb.

more costly, but more peace of mind.

freakster;697217 said:
Hi everyone,

I've the problem whereby my GB warning light will light up and go on limp mode whenever I drive my car hard for about 30 mins or so, and when I say drive hard, it's like revving up between 3.5K-5Krpm or so.

Previously, most workshops told me is GB problem, need to rebuild or overhaul, but today I went to MScope and the boss told me that one of the error code was due to the GB overheating, hence he advise not to proceed with the rebuild first, but rather change the cooler for the GB first.

It was the first time I heard of this advise since I can't seem to find anyone talking about this problem/solution in the forum. Was quoted 800+ for this.

If rebuild, will be 8K+ which is scary!

Please share your opinion bros.

Thanks.

Got the same advice before to change the cooler. then comes torque converter then rebuild/recond/used GB. the latter would solve it

Hi, I changed my gb cooler too as technician tested my gb's temperature was very high. Cost me RM800. Now turn up 'torque converter error', tried to deleted the code but still the same. Someone quoted me RM3500 to solve the problem....so expensive! Any other option?

Guys, an update. On the day that I was suppose to change the cooler, my GB died on me and had no choice but to do the cooler change and rebuild the GB. Ouch!

But the end result is the car feels more responsive now and drives much smoother.

polaris78;699105 said:
Hi, I changed my gb cooler too as technician tested my gb's temperature was very high. Cost me RM800. Now turn up 'torque converter error', tried to deleted the code but still the same. Someone quoted me RM3500 to solve the problem....so expensive! Any other option?

by replacing with a new torque converter?new or used?

m scope has be terrific for me, they try thier best to find out whats REALLY wrong before recommending a rebuild. sometimes its the cooler, sometimes its not.

Slide;699150 said:
m scope has be terrific for me, they try thier best to find out whats REALLY wrong before recommending a rebuild. sometimes its the cooler, sometimes its not.

bro, where is mscope?

polaris78;699105 said:

Bro what's make your foreman test your GB temperature ? Don't mind to share ?
Thanks in advance.

polaris78;699105 said:

what is ur gb model? If urs is 5hp19, I got 1 brand new original zf torque converter. . . Call me 0122207630 if interested. . Tq

Slide you are correct. They are very professional and come highly recommended. Unfortunately I believe the boss just left the country for a month or two, so in case you plan to go there, that's a bummer.

freakster;699143 said:
Guys, an update. On the day that I was suppose to change the cooler, my GB died on me and had no choice but to do the cooler change and rebuild the GB. Ouch!

But the end result is the car feels more responsive now and drives much smoother.

Bro, did yr gearbox die on you at the workshop or outside while drivin? Did u know it died or did them mech tell u so?

desbimmer;699410 said:
Bro, did yr gearbox die on you at the workshop or outside while drivin? Did u know it died or did them mech tell u so?

Didn't even make it out of my housing area. It totally stalled.

Normally when GB light comes on, it goes on limp mode but still can drive as it's still in 4th gear. This time, even when I revved past 5K RPM, car won't move at all. Had to call tow truck.

Right now, my car is in workshop changing the gearbox. The workshop offer me RM5000 for recond unit of GB including the torque converter. My car is e46 325i. My GB have show the report of 034 temp sensor, 049 symptom gear monitoring, 054 gear monitoring 4, 065 gear monitoring 4. The workshop gave me warranty of 6 month for the recond unit which i think very convincing.

Alex5522;699287 said:
Bro what's make your foreman test your GB temperature ? Don't mind to share ?
Thanks in advance.

Bro, foreman used scanner to test while pressing the accelerator. Showed that temperature keep going up btw 120-130 degree. Been adviced to change GB cooler 1st before touch GB.

ravenclaws87;699636 said:
Right now, my car is in workshop changing the gearbox. The workshop offer me RM5000 for recond unit of GB including the torque converter. My car is e46 325i. My GB have show the report of 034 temp sensor, 049 symptom gear monitoring, 054 gear monitoring 4, 065 gear monitoring 4. The workshop gave me warranty of 6 month for the recond unit which i think very convincing.

One thing about a recond unit is we do not know the history of that GB. It could be worse than your current one if you were to rebuild yours.

Get a second opinion from another workshop. I did mine at MScope last week and am a happy customer. SAme model as yours, e46 325 prefacelift.

Also, IMO, 6 months warranty is quite short, try to get them to warranty longer.

polaris78;699656 said:
Bro, foreman used scanner to test while pressing the accelerator. Showed that temperature keep going up btw 120-130 degree. Been adviced to change GB cooler 1st before touch GB.

Thnks for the feed back, actually i means what kind of symptoms from your car makes your mechanic test your GB temp.

Top Bottom