Gearbox 3HP-22 Problem.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

LeakOnU

Club Guest
Hi Bimmers,I m new to your site. I being a fan of BMW for couple of years. has driven the E30 (318i-Manual), E34 (520i-Auto), and now owns a E23 (735i-Auto), E34 (525i-Auto) & E36 (325i-Auto). I currently need advise on 3HP-22 gearbox on my E23 cos after replacement of the oil seal on the trans gear pump its still leaking again. Anyone out there can help kah? ;) ;)

did you fit the seal properly?.....

when its done wrongly....the tiny particles will break the center seal!....

did you glue it before fitting?...hows the housing on the gearbox...

lotsa things you will need to take into account!

Did you manage to rectify your gearbox problem yet? If not this may be a good opportunity to source a 4speeder auto for your car. They are more commonly avaible and I believe the fuel consumption should improve.

Mazin aka whl

I am also using the 3HP-22 gearbox on my E24.

I am toying with the idea to upgrade to a 4-speed or 5speed from say E32 or E34. How compatible are those gearboxes with my M30B35?

Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

I am toying with the idea to upgrade to a 4-speed or 5speed from say E32 or E34. How compatible are those gearboxes with my M30B35?

Cheers

very very different. the 3hp runs a independent module whereas 4hp and 5 hp has a much more complicated logic that ties to main dme and trp.

if you have change the oil seal and its still leaking, high chance is that your housing is scratch. very unlikely it is install incorrectly as it is a oil seal.. a bloody oil seal.. not rocket science. if you ever open it up again, do check is it leaking from shaft/plunger (the moving part) or the housing, the non moving part. if it is from moving part, then you have half a chance to fix it. reduce the length of the spring around the oil seal so that it should pull tighter. apply generous amount of rubber grease on it too. do not forget to sand teh surface down to smoothen too to remove the scratch. if housing is scratch, sand and smoothen it .. no promise it can be fixed though

zib;852117 said:

Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

very very different. the 3hp runs a independent module whereas 4hp and 5 hp has a much more complicated logic that ties to main dme and trp.

if you have change the oil seal and its still leaking, high chance is that your housing is scratch. very unlikely it is install incorrectly as it is a oil seal.. a bloody oil seal.. not rocket science. if you ever open it up again, do check is it leaking from shaft/plunger (the moving part) or the housing, the non moving part. if it is from moving part, then you have half a chance to fix it. reduce the length of the spring around the oil seal so that it should pull tighter. apply generous amount of rubber grease on it too. do not forget to sand teh surface down to smoothen too to remove the scratch. if housing is scratch, sand and smoothen it .. no promise it can be fixed though

zib;852117 said:

Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers

Top Bottom