Gear shift too quickly in D mode

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ess530i

Club Guest
help...! my tranny has become dumb...it changes gear too quickly in D mode making it difficult to accelerate smoothly and also creating drag which increases FC. by the time i reach 50kmh i'm already on 6th gear and it doesn't downshift until i press about 50% throttle. works fine in S mode. started to notice this after the SC installation...nothing like this when stocknot sure if this has got anything to do with my SC, hot air due to open top filter? software outdated? ESS tuning did not reflash the D program? i will post a video later to better explain my situation. sifus...pls help TQ

In Drive mode - If you are light on your pedal its most likely the ECU puts it on "economy mode" and upshifts as soon as possible. Try being heavy footed and the mapping will change accordingly.

3er;343261 said:
In Drive mode - If you are light on your pedal its most likely the ECU puts it on "economy mode" and upshifts as soon as possible. Try being heavy footed and the mapping will change accordingly.

hi 3er thanks for the input, yes i can change the map to XE (extreme economy) to E (economy) by being more aggressive on the pedal but i have to waste fuel to do this and it will return to E map in no time. problem is i did not notice this problem before superchargin (consequently reflasing & using open top filter) my car. is there any way to reprogram the adaptive transmission to remain in E map all the time instead of XE map?

ess530i;343263 said:
hi 3er thanks for the input, yes i can change the map to XE (extreme economy) to E (economy) by being more aggressive on the pedal but i have to waste fuel to do this and it will return to E map in no time. problem is i did not notice this problem before superchargin (consequently reflasing & using open top filter) my car. is there any way to reprogram the adaptive transmission to remain in E map all the time instead of XE map?

Probably not. I've been living with mine starting off in 2nd gear 95% of the time.

ess530i,

the adaptive transmission upshifts to a higher gear earlier as your sc is producing way higher torque levels lower in your rev range. the EGS senses there is ample torque to move the car and it shifts to a higher gear to be on the economy side as it does not require the engine to rev any higher.

leforte;343412 said:
ess530i,

the adaptive transmission upshifts to a higher gear earlier as your sc is producing way higher torque levels lower in your rev range. the EGS senses there is ample torque to move the car and it shifts to a higher gear to be on the economy side as it does not require the engine to rev any higher.

makes sense...just wonder why ESS didn't take this into consideration and program the E map to adapt to the SC set up as it really sucks to drive in E mode now...

ess530i;343457 said:
makes sense...just wonder why ESS didn't take this into consideration and program the E map to adapt to the SC set up as it really sucks to drive in E mode now...

the steptronic transmission is controled by the EGS and its a entirely standalone unit from the DME, some parameter are interlink but the shift maps are all located on the EGS unit.

ESS does have the performance stepronic tuning for the E46 330i (click here)but since you have a e60 and its using a different gearbox setup, you will have to check with absjorn@ESS if they have the performance steptronic tuning for you or if its even in their development schedule. another place to check for the performance steptronic tuning would be DINAN. these are the only two power house i know off with such capability.

okay.. I don't seem to understand much on the EGS nor ESS thingy.. but I started to notice when I slow down, the gear drops automatically but when I want to pick up again..my gear drags for the looongest time at 2nd gear! and when it changes gear, it jerks a lil.. I never had this before.. just today it started to give me some pain..

anything gotta do with me playing with the manual shift? I was told not to play with it too much..

or is it normal? I'm so paranoid.. I feel like just sending it right to the workshop..

Audrey93;355695 said:
okay.. I don't seem to understand much on the EGS nor ESS thingy.. but I started to notice when I slow down, the gear drops automatically but when I want to pick up again..my gear drags for the looongest time at 2nd gear! and when it changes gear, it jerks a lil.. I never had this before.. just today it started to give me some pain..

anything gotta do with me playing with the manual shift? I was told not to play with it too much..

or is it normal? I'm so paranoid.. I feel like just sending it right to the workshop..

Same here... I think it's normal? don't know also

i get the jerk and quick shifts also after i changed to supersprint back box and removed the resonator... modding mess up the ecu?

AC525;356451 said:
i get the jerk and quick shifts also after i changed to supersprint back box and removed the resonator... modding mess up the ecu?

can anyone confirm this? so far me & AC525 experienced 'jerk' and quick shifts after replacing our rear muffler & removing the center resonator. yes u do achieve higher power at mid-high rpm but the low-end driving is really annoying and feel's like a 518i

thinkin of going back to stock exhaust to solve this problem...

i heard someone swapping his 6speed stepbox with a 6speed manual..e60.

maybe u should seek this avenue..:wink: i know i'd be interested to see how that pans out..

darn...i thought i was gonna be the 1st in msia to do it hehe...been asking around and no one has the confidence to do it. pls tell me more about it...which workshop did the transplant, total damage, any probs, etc.

btw i changed my remus exhaust back to stock and fitted back my center resonator in attempt to improve the situation and in fact it did tremendously however it still doesn't drive as nice as stock (without the sc). guess it is the sc itself or ECU tuning (or lack of tranny tuning) that is causing the quick gearshifts

ess530i;379117 said:
darn...i thought i was gonna be the 1st in msia to do it hehe...been asking around and no one has the confidence to do it. pls tell me more about it...which workshop did the transplant, total damage, any probs, etc.

btw i changed my remus exhaust back to stock and fitted back my center resonator in attempt to improve the situation and in fact it did tremendously however it still doesn't drive as nice as stock (without the sc). guess it is the sc itself or ECU tuning (or lack of tranny tuning) that is causing the quick gearshifts

bro send your car for the transmission adaptation...they will adapt the car's tranny to the engines behaviour on the road...normally takes one day as they need to drive it around to program the tranny adaptation values...

t2ribena;379132 said:
bro send your car for the transmission adaptation...they will adapt the car's tranny to the engines behaviour on the road...normally takes one day as they need to drive it around to program the tranny adaptation values...

where can i do this? i also need to make sure the tranny programming do not interfere with my ECU tuning. ESS said the CCC or tranny s/w upgrade would erase their tuning

AC525;379125 said:
have u checked with ESS on this issue?

i did check b4...no reply

i am also wondering if this could be due to a failing torque converter...anyone know the symptoms?

ess530i;379117 said:

PMed:listen:

tho u're right about the value of the car,once u go for a manual tranny.i think an auto will fit the car's character better,but if u need more power than what u already have,i think a manual is the only way to go.

i'm quite happy with just the standard boost.. keeping everything else standard with no additional mods,so i think i should be okay with the 6HP19Z.

i am also wondering if this could be due to a failing torque converter...anyone know the symptoms?

i face the same prob with my 530 too...it it something to do with the torque converter...advisable to restructure / overhauled the transmission system...cost around 8-12k i guess...

Richard,I can vouch for the tranny shifting issues.After running with the s/c for about a month+ now,the tranny is still shifting faster to higher gears than normal.Maybe sensing the additional torque..even so,it is still over-optimistic I think.Even in manual mode,it was haywire..noticed this when I took the car to Sepang,it was all over the place.

Top Bottom