Gauge problems

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

affan66

Founding Member
hey folks,need help. While trying to get my instrument cluster silver rings and the EL lights, I had the needles removed. Bad and stupid move.The fuel gauge, temp, rpm and speedo are inaccurate. The RPM, temp and fuel gauge are slightly higher. The speed doesn't seem right.At cruising speed, I averaged 110km/h at 3,500 RPM. I think this is not right. If I remember correctly, it should be about 125-130km/h at that RPM.How do I get my gauges to read correctly? Thanks.... Hope I did not get any speeding tickets today. I went to Malacca but maintained a 110 km/h speed on the speedo but who knows? I might be doing a 140 km/h :(

Time to find another mech? :nyehehe: :nyehehe: Had my doubts that day....

the needles and the gauge motor behind it does not have a marking. So there is no way to tell whether the needles are pointing correctly or not.

My only way to check now is, based on previous reading, assuming no changes.

1. Temp gauge - manually adjust until the temp stays slightly below mid.
2. RPM - idle about 700rpm, on P or N, aircond ON
3. Fuel gauge - max when full
4. Speed - 3K RPM, I believe the speed should be about 120-130km/h. Can someone confirm with this?

Specs: E36 325i(A), 17" 225/45 rims. No other mods.

Affan, there is a test where you check all the light and guages. it will swing the guages to FSD (Full scale deflection) when you conduct the test.
Do you know how to do the test?

Originally posted by affan66@Feb 17 2006, 11:57 AM
the needles and the gauge motor behind it does not have a marking. So there is no way to tell whether the needles are pointing correctly or not.

My only way to check now is, based on previous reading, assuming no changes.

1. Temp gauge - manually adjust until the temp stays slightly below mid.
2. RPM - idle about 700rpm, on P or N, aircond ON
3. Fuel gauge - max when full
4. Speed - 3K RPM, I believe the speed should be about 120-130km/h. Can someone confirm with this?

Specs: E36 325i(A), 17" 225/45 rims. No other mods.
Affan, have you tried the procedure to test all gauges to see if they will make the full sweep i.e. hold the odo reset button while turning the ignition to "on".... me thinks. Perhaps then you check if the needles are reaching the max reading.

flash / jarance,

how do I know if the gauge has reached the max though??

thanks in advance.

did the FSD test.
Steps:
1. Press the ODO button
2. Turn the ignition key to the first position (1?)

You will she following:

some mileage (36K kmsomething) - 1
another mileage (4K km something)- 2
another mileage (200km) - 3
another mileage (46km) - 4
another mileage (0km) - 5
another mileage - 6
then the FSD. Inspection, oil service, green/orange/red, check engine and brake lights and the sweep.

The gauges just swept to max (what is max) and then returned. This procedure did not help.

am wondering if there is specific readings I can get from a multimeter at max/min/mid.

By the way, anyone can help me on this?
3,000 RPM, what's your speed? same car, same spec of course.

Top Bottom