Fuel system cleaner ... what do you use?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ALIAS

Club Guest
Just watched an episode of Fifth Gear. They got an old VW Corrado's HP raised from 177 to 183 a week after using Redex fuel cleaner system. Questions : what's a good one to use? Which ones to avoid? How often does one need to do this? A bottle of fuel injector cleaner is the same thing or not? Thanks.

thanks for creating this thread.. i've always been curious about fuel additives. hope to learn something from responses.

how to know that our fuel system is having problem?

sorry for the newbie question...

ALIAS;853928 said:
Just watched an episode of Fifth Gear. They got an old VW Corrado's HP raised from 177 to 183 a week after using Redex fuel cleaner system.

Questions : what's a good one to use? Which ones to avoid? How often does one need to do this? A bottle of fuel injector cleaner is the same thing or not?

Thanks.

A few of my customers are chemical engineers attached to a leading petroleum company, who're very familiar with the formulation of fuels, additives and various lubricants. and being hardcore, highly fastidious owners with a technical background, they go to great lengths to locate fuel system cleaners for their own cars.

They only purchase those from Redline (the SI-1), from Bardahl (a top class but forgotten brand), and the Russian/Ukrainian Zado (very popular in Penang).

In Malaysia, these 3 are the easiest to purchase fuel system cleaners that contain PolyEther Amine, the strongest nitrogen-based cleansing agent in the fuel cleaning additive industry.

It is widely known that this cleaning agent is the only one that can give decent results in direct injection engines where the high heat + pressure within the combustion chamber can cause very stubborn deposits that cannot be removed by other cleaning agents such as the older PBA or PIBA. Some cleaning agents, such as PBA, can even cause a buildip of new deposits (!!) (Thanks to Lim of Shell for this non proprietary general info).

Even worse, the lowest end products use mainly solvents such as Naptha, and Benzene as cleaning agents.

Hnece, on my vehicles, I use only Redline S1-1 and occasionally XADO.

plutoII;854026 said:
A few of my customers are chemical engineers attached to a leading petroleum company, who're very familiar with the formulation of fuels, additives and various lubricants. and being hardcore, highly fastidious owners with a technical background, they go to great lengths to locate fuel system cleaners for their own cars.

They only purchase those from Redline (the SI-1), from Bardahl (a top class but forgotten brand), and the Russian/Ukrainian Zado (very popular in Penang).

In Malaysia, these 3 are the easiest to purchase fuel system cleaners that contain PolyEther Amine, the strongest nitrogen-based cleansing agent in the fuel cleaning additive industry.

It is widely known that this cleaning agent is the only one that can give decent results in direct injection engines where the high heat + pressure within the combustion chamber can cause very stubborn deposits that cannot be removed by other cleaning agents such as the older PBA or PIBA. Some cleaning agents, such as PBA, can even cause a buildip of new deposits (!!) (Thanks to Lim of Shell for this non proprietary general info).

Even worse, the lowest end products use mainly solvents such as Naptha, and Benzene as cleaning agents.

Do you know of any dealers here selling the Redline Diesel Fuel Catalysts?

- - - Updated - - -

plutoII;854026 said:

Do you know of any dealers here selling the Redline Diesel Fuel Catalysts?

A few E90 320d that I detailed were especially quiet at idling, and seemed to be noticeably smoother than the other 320d units that I always drive. The owners are mostly from the palm oil industry and they told me that a "secret" thats not widely publicised is that our palm oil is an excellent cleaner for diesel engines...especially the higher mileage ones that're starting to run slightly rough and noisy.

On a noisy 320d and E60 530d, I saw them pour 1 small mineral water bottle of palm oil (yes, the one used for cooking) into the fuel tank, and after a quick blast to Putrajaya and back to PJ, the 2 cars felt so different!.....very quiet at idle without that usual diesel clutter, exhaust fumes smell a bit weird, and the engine was so much smoother.

They said that the local palm oil institutions have done various tests, and found no detrimental effects at all. On the contrary, palm oil somehow enabled a more complete and cleaner combustion process, leaving behind much less deposits while slowly getting rid of old deposits. I drove those 2 cars for the next 2 weeks, and I was amazed. It also works even better on diesel trucks and even 2 stroke bikes!

Just try Caltex 97 for 1 full tank . Be alert with ur engine and U"ll definitely get the result . Unless ur fuel system is already in top form . Give it a try U got nothing to lose , maybe U might gain extra mileage . :dancing2:

Xthree;854048 said:
Just try Caltex 97 for 1 full tank . Be alert with ur engine and U"ll definitely get the result . Unless ur fuel system is already in top form . Give it a try U got nothing to lose , maybe U might gain extra mileage . :dancing2:

Good choice. If Im not mistaken, PEA was invented/developed by the lab boys at Caltex, and it remains the "best" fuel cleaning agent to date.

Xthree;854048 said:
Sory just asking,how about Vpower>?

I was told that to keep the diesel injectors clean, pour half pint or less of engine oil into diesel tank. Most of the diesel engines tends to knock after some time due to poor quality of diesel. The engine oil helps to smoothen the injection. Thus less noise at the same time better power. This person is a career cab driver for over 30 years and used to maintain his diesel cab this way. What do you all think?

plutoII;854033 said:
A few E90 320d that I detailed were especially quiet at idling, and seemed to be noticeably smoother than the other 320d units that I always drive. The owners are mostly from the palm oil industry and they told me that a "secret" thats not widely publicised is that our palm oil is an excellent cleaner for diesel engines...especially the higher mileage ones that're starting to run slightly rough and noisy.

On a noisy 320d and E60 530d, I saw them pour 1 small mineral water bottle of palm oil (yes, the one used for cooking) into the fuel tank, and after a quick blast to Putrajaya and back to PJ, the 2 cars felt so different!.....very quiet at idle without that usual diesel clutter, exhaust fumes smell a bit weird, and the engine was so much smoother.

They said that the local palm oil institutions have done various tests, and found no detrimental effects at all. On the contrary, palm oil somehow enabled a more complete and cleaner combustion process, leaving behind much less deposits while slowly getting rid of old deposits. I drove those 2 cars for the next 2 weeks, and I was amazed. It also works even better on diesel trucks and even 2 stroke bikes!

This is interesting.

FYI...the Pug 308T and other Pugs using the same engine are renowned for the notorious build-up of carbon on the inlet valve. It has become a classic problem.
On a customer's 3yr old 308T, he has been consistently using Shell VPower Racing since Day 1 (contains PEA) coupled with Redline SI-I ( also containing PEA), and his car never had any such problems. Its now covered 130K and still running beautifully.

Food for thought, eh?

Ok just found Gumout fuel cleaning system at Ace Hardware. RM30 per bottle. It's one of the names other than Redline that has Polyesther Amine.. 1 full tank for me is more than 50 liters. Gumout looks like a cheaper option.

Anybody tried Gumout?

Xthree;854048 said:

for petrol engines, the active ingredient that really helps is Methyl ester based solution. i have use 2-3% MEKP-9 which cost ard Rm30 per liter. be careful not to drip on your paint. after 1 tankful, it immediately clears off some stuff from my fuel line or injector. it feels much smoother.

for diesel, i am trying out some stuffs right now. it will be another ester compound very similiar to some earlier postings.

Grandmaster Alan, a few questions if you don't mind.
1. Can point out which brand of additive contains the ingredient you mentioned? Otherwise, it'll be like searching for a needle in the haystack.
2. How often do you have to use it? Isn't methyl ester the chemical name for biodiesel?

I'm suddenly reminded of Marvel Oil, the stuff made of palm oil I put into my fuel tank many years back.

alantiong;854216 said:
for petrol engines, the active ingredient that really helps is Methyl ester based solution. i have use 2-3% MEKP-9 which cost ard Rm30 per liter. be careful not to drip on your paint. after 1 tankful, it immediately clears off some stuff from my fuel line or injector. it feels much smoother.

for diesel, i am trying out some stuffs right now. it will be another ester compound very similiar to some earlier postings.

- - - Updated - - -

Grandmaster Alan, a few questions if you don't mind.
1. Can point out which brand of additive contains the ingredient you mentioned? Otherwise, it'll be like searching for a needle in the haystack.
2. How often do you have to use it? Isn't methyl ester the chemical name for biodiesel?

I'm suddenly reminded of Marvel Oil, the stuff made of palm oil I put into my fuel tank many years back.

alantiong;854216 said:

- - - Updated - - -

Found out Redline is RM52 per bottle.

ALIAS;854123 said:
Ok just found Gumout fuel cleaning system at Ace Hardware. RM30 per bottle. It's one of the names other than Redline that has Polyesther Amine.. 1 full tank for me is more than 50 liters. Gumout looks like a cheaper option.

Anybody tried Gumout?

- - - Updated - - -

Found out Redline is RM52 per bottle.

ALIAS;854123 said:

Anybody tried Gumout?

Top Bottom