Fuel Gauge reading.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

yip

Club Guest
Hi guys, I have this perculiar problem with the fuel gauge and am wondering if any of you guys have experienced it. Here goes... When i turn off the engine, the gauge stays at the same level. But if i leave the car for a long period of time eg over night, then the next day, the level goes down a little. Not a lot. I wouldn't have notice it if i didn't check the OBC remaining range. Just wondering if its normal. I am using a E46 328i Y2000. Thanks...

I dont this is a problem. The guage is analog and tend to have some free movement which is terms as backlass. Furthermore, overnight the fuel is cool down and volume is reduced but not a lot (about 0.5%)

The fuel sender is basically a mechanical float which in turn slide across a resistor. The value of the resistor would also changed depending on where you park the car. Also there is a condensor or filter to slow down the reading changes. This is to prevent the fuel guage from jumping up and down when you go over a bump.
So over time, the reading is updated slowly and hence the true reading would be lower after a certain time.

Top Bottom