Free Play Problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

onionbay

Club Guest
guy. need some advise..i'm driving a e30 runnning on a M40 engine Auto trans lately, i felt that when my car running on the 4th gear, i can fell the free-play (when i release my acc pedal) causing a loud knock sound on the rear axle. how can i fix this problem? normally when this occur, i'll just pull knob to 3rd gear and the knocking sound dissapear.

refering to your feeback, does that mean that i have to dismantle my entire gear box to check it? i'm been using this gear box for almost 3 months. my 1st gear box broke. it only happen lately.

Don't think u need to remove gbox. Couplings are the joints in the driveshaft to the rear axle etc.

Get your mechanic to confirm whether gearbox coupling etc. They would know better.

onion bay,

Check the following:

1. Long-shaft coupling (guibo)
2. Differential mounting.
3. Longshaft centre bearing.
4. Gearbox mounting.
5. Subframe bushing.

These are the usual suspects that will cause the symptoms tht u r experiencing.

kevster30 said:
onion bay,

Check the following:

4. Gearbox mounting.
5. Subframe bushing.

and that small round white plastic thing that holds ur long shaft join (alaaa .. forgot the name laaa ..)

Try to accelerate and the let go off ur gas - if u can hear the noise ; the list above will be the likely culprit. E30 M40 - famous for that .

kevster30 said:
onion bay,

Check the following:

4. Gearbox mounting.
5. Subframe bushing.

All the above can cause the free play/knocking noise. If you eliminate those and still have the problem, then it could be excessive play in the differential gears. It's not that uncommon.

hai onionbay,
i got that problem too but mine is manual e30 tranny.. my mech said cld be the rear axle bu i havent done anything at all since the car is not my daily ride..

Anyway, let us posted man hows the outcome, whether the repairs done solve the issue.. it could be useful for me and others too..

Thankx

Top Bottom