Finally getting the feeling of true E34 ability...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

fandango

Club Guest
After lowering my ride on eibachs, the infamous 90kmh shimmy became more pronounced despite doing on-wheel balancing. decided to change the upper arm bushes, and the mech also found that the centre tie rod ball joint was loose. After changing those items, went to do on-wheel balancing and alignment again...and...walla! the car's handling and steering response is transformed! no more excessive steering freeplay, no more 90kmh shimmy (well maybe just a tiny bit left...)...steering feel is tight, feelsome, and car rides and handles sweetly. wow, now I know how well a well sorted E34 can handle! for a 1.5 tonne behemoth, amazing! :top: now if only i can get my hands on that manual transmission...:)

fandango;411937 said:
After lowering my ride on eibachs, the infamous 90kmh shimmy became more pronounced despite doing on-wheel balancing. decided to change the upper arm bushes, and the mech also found that the centre tie rod ball joint was loose.

After changing those items, went to do on-wheel balancing and alignment again...and...walla! the car's handling and steering response is transformed! no more excessive steering freeplay, no more 90kmh shimmy (well maybe just a tiny bit left...)...steering feel is tight, feelsome, and car rides and handles sweetly. wow, now I know how well a well sorted E34 can handle! for a 1.5 tonne behemoth, amazing! :top:

now if only i can get my hands on that manual transmission...:)

bro - personally - i won't do the on-wheel balancing. The car is heavy and when they jack it up - only one side is off the ground - meaning - the other tire /bush are holding the 1.5 tons weight !!

As for the manual trans - ehemmm ... :top:

535i;412019 said:
bro - personally - i won't do the on-wheel balancing. The car is heavy and when they jack it up - only one side is off the ground - meaning - the other tire /bush are holding the 1.5 tons weight !!

As for the manual trans - ehemmm ... :top:

Bro 535i, MPS Auto in PJS7 do on-wheel differently. They jack both side up :top:
maybe you can try them.

IsaacVky;412025 said:
Bro 535i, MPS Auto in PJS7 do on-wheel differently. They jack both side up :top:
maybe you can try them.

Yeah they jack up both sides at the same time. On wheel balancing by them solved the vibration problems on the e34.

Being an E34 owner I was wondering if u or any one with similar experience could help. Car engine has been running smoothly. Timing and idling consistently at 700 RPN. With aircon on and auxilliary fan kicking in and out, the RPM seldom
blip above 750 RPM. However, last month I had to change to new Idle Control Valve (ICV) as revving ws hovering & locking at 2,000 rpm. I noticed to change the ICV, the mechanic removed the Air intake apparatus, not sure if you call it the MAF box, to remove and replace the ICV.

Although, the new ICV was idling and regulating the RPM at 700, the engine was vibrating harder then normal and with the Aircon on, when Auxiliary fan kick in and out, the RPM would blip momentarily from 700 to 900 before coming
down to 700 RPM at a standstill. Driving wise the engine felt some power lacking and I need to press the acelerator down more then normal to get the car moving.

Has it got anything to do with the Air Control or ??? Any advise from any Si fus would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

integramania;412075 said:
Bro Fadango....which mech is this? Thanks

Kin Alignment at Sunway - 0123991335

a bit pricey tho - the price 'varies' according to the amount of effort - they do the balancing 'by hand', if u know what i mean.

Guzzler;412324 said:
Being an E34 owner I was wondering if u or any one with similar experience could help. Car engine has been running smoothly. Timing and idling consistently at 700 RPN. With aircon on and auxilliary fan kicking in and out, the RPM seldom
blip above 750 RPM. However, last month I had to change to new Idle Control Valve (ICV) as revving ws hovering & locking at 2,000 rpm. I noticed to change the ICV, the mechanic removed the Air intake apparatus, not sure if you call it the MAF box, to remove and replace the ICV.

Although, the new ICV was idling and regulating the RPM at 700, the engine was vibrating harder then normal and with the Aircon on, when Auxiliary fan kick in and out, the RPM would blip momentarily from 700 to 900 before coming
down to 700 RPM at a standstill. Driving wise the engine felt some power lacking and I need to press the acelerator down more then normal to get the car moving.

Has it got anything to do with the Air Control or ??? Any advise from any Si fus would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

bro,

1. to change the ICV you do not need to remove the air filter housing.it is a direct,simple and straight fwd change.
2. as for the current issues u are facing I would bet that you have an air leak between the air filter housing and the throttle body,which from your description I suspect that the mech messed things up....check the rubber boot for possible cracks

initialM;412652 said:
Bro can you explain more on this process?

it means they use their hands as the "sensors", instead of the machine. the machine is just used to spin the front wheels.

first they jack up the car on both sides. then one guy sits on the wheel spinning machine and spins the wheel that is higher off the ground. He puts his hand on the wheel arch, and another fler puts his hand on the steering wheel. after that, they stop the wheel spin and the fler repositions the weight and/or change the weight and does the same process over again until they feel its ok.

fandango;412762 said:
it means they use their hands as the "sensors", instead of the machine. the machine is just used to spin the front wheels.

first they jack up the car on both sides. then one guy sits on the wheel spinning machine and spins the wheel that is higher off the ground. He puts his hand on the wheel arch, and another fler puts his hand on the steering wheel. after that, they stop the wheel spin and the fler repositions the weight and/or change the weight and does the same process over again until they feel its ok.

Wow they must have rough hands:top: how much the cost?

fandango;412544 said:
Kin Alignment at Sunway - 0123991335

a bit pricey tho - the price 'varies' according to the amount of effort - they do the balancing 'by hand', if u know what i mean.

Hi bro....Oh Kin...this fellas are well know as they do many drift cars and can align to the needs of the customer....but are they the ones who solved your shuddering problem? Tx

Hi Guys,

I lost track of the original post and would appreciate if anyone could provide the address to BMWorld, I believe the one in Desa Tun Razak, the name of the foreman and tel no if available.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

fandango;413209 said:
the shudder was solved by me changing the upper arm bush actually :)

Actually I managed to improve my shudder last time but lately when they swapped my rims from back to front the shudder came back....aisey....but they adjusted again...now i think slightly better....damn headache man this one

thot i'd share this update:

last sat i went to swap out my 17"bbs with 235/45/17 for 16" e39s with 215/55/16. here are the results:

1. eibachs handle the reduced rim/tire weight much much better...ride is noticeably improved (more stable, faster rebound etc)

2. acceleration, throttle response improved.

Overall, i'm much much happier driving the car now...:driver:

Downside: lost the nice looks of the bbs...:106:

Top Bottom