Feeler - E36 Manual tranny conversion

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

tumbleweed

Club Guest
Hi there,To those who have done a manual transmission conversion on their E36, how is the process like? How long will it normally take? And what is the approximate cost which will be incurred (whether foreseen or unforseen)? And is it worth the hassle? And how difficult is it to gather all the necessary parts for it? :confused: Backside itchy so just toying with the idea. But I've been spoilt with an auto tranny so I'm kinda on the fence. :confused: I don't want to think about the times when I'm stuck in a jam with a manual transmission.But anyway, just thought I'd ask for some comments. Thanks dudes.

try and get yourself a set of Switchlogic, it is better than manual.
Switchlogic was the mother of all steptronic,tiptronic,paddletronic,etc

this was the first raw unmolested system, which i believe some agents do carry old stocks, but be prepared, it cost about usd800 or more brand new......

The king of that conversion is Lionel, please get in touch with him to find out more.

teejay;215926 said:

this was the first raw unmolested system, which i believe some agents do carry old stocks, but be prepared, it cost about usd800 or more brand new......

:D ..... want mine ... :D

teejay;215926 said:

My car had SwitchLogic installed previously. The reason I know is because she still has the gear change paddle attached! Have heard of it but don't know how it works. Does it uses a special kind of gear box or is it just a matter of electronics?

daan;215948 said:
The king of that conversion is Lionel, please get in touch with him to find out more.

Yeah, I think I'll do that. In fact I met him the other day when he was just about to do his conversion.

tumbleweed;216098 said:
My car had SwitchLogic installed previously. The reason I know is because she still has the gear change paddle attached! Have heard of it but don't know how it works. Does it uses a special kind of gear box or is it just a matter of electronics?

electronics bypass system

basically its an electronic box that sends signals to the gearbox valvebody electronic to switch gears in a matter of nanoseconds

you have to set your gearselector to manual or snow, drive the car and try pulling or pushing the paddle and see if it shifts gears

if cannot, then you have to bring it to 535i mechs to troubleshoot......:cool:

teejay;216130 said:
electronics bypass system

basically its an electronic box that sends signals to the gearbox valvebody electronic to switch gears in a matter of nanoseconds

you have to set your gearselector to manual or snow, drive the car and try pulling or pushing the paddle and see if it shifts gears

if cannot, then you have to bring it to 535i mechs to troubleshoot......:cool:

Well, actually I think the previous owner took the electronics out except for the shift paddle. Oh, so it needs to be in the snow mode to work?? I don't drive in the snow mode much but I doubt it's working. I have since changed to the Jatco 5 speed gear box and if Ah Wai saw any extra electronics attached he would have told me.

tumbleweed;216099 said:
Yeah, I think I'll do that. In fact I met him the other day when he was just about to do his conversion.

When we met ?????

Maybe i dont know ur nick here ....but u can always can call me if u need any information .......

btw ...i still got another set of manual for E36 laying around :D

Lionel_Koh;216516 said:
When we met ?????

Maybe i dont know ur nick here ....but u can always can call me if u need any information .......

btw ...i still got another set of manual for E36 laying around :D

Oh, I got the M3 strips from you, remember? We met at Kuchai Lama.

How much does the manual (complete set?) cost? PM me if you prefer to keep it private.

check out motortrader..theres a manual 325i selling...but 80k!!!

kitt;218158 said:
check out motortrader..theres a manual 325i selling...but 80k!!!

At that price I better do a manual conversion myself. Unless that car is something special! Besides, I love my car too much to part with it! :D

tumbleweed;218565 said:
At that price I better do a manual conversion myself. Unless that car is something special! Besides, I love my car too much to part with it! :D

and if you sell your car, those LMs are mine!!!:D

teejay;218810 said:
and if you sell your car, those LMs are mine!!!:D

Muahahaha...... :D :D Don't think I'll ever sell it for the world. Those baby's are hard to come by. :cool:

Top Bottom