Feedback on E60

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

rsnavin

Club Guest
Hey guys,My dad is considering the 525i and the E240 Avantgarde.I heard from my uncle who owns a 530d, the maintainence is really high, also the brake pads needs to be changed very often. How high is the regular maintainence? I do hear of lots of E60s having troubles, and i do see them in the roads with the BMW service vehicle kinda often.Pros of the E :- nice interior- comfy ride- lots of featuresCons of the E :- performance not as good as 5We are kinda in a dilemma. What made you guys go for the 5 instead of the E?

between 525 sports (I pressume) and e240, i might be biased, but the former is my choice hands down. can you elaborate on "lots of features" pro point.

This is my words:-

Mercedes: Regret
BMW: Grow From Hate to Admire

Why?
Why dont you test drive it and test all the features and do let us know your opinion.

Spend some time and do a revision and do tell us again what do you think abt these

Pros of the E :

- nice interior
- comfy ride
- lots of features

Cons of the E :

- performance not as good as 5

had the opportunity to drive both the 530i (258hp) and E280(231hp).. if the daddy is getting the car for his own driving pleasure then go for the E-class.. unless he's a speed freak then go for the beemer..

do take note that the E240 will soon be replaced with the E280 (not sure when?!!) that comes with the latest 7G-Tronic transmission..

nor sure if the Mercedes Malaysia will offer Sports Package E-Class in Malaysia like what is currently offered by BMW Malaysia.. I know u can get one in UK.. A stunner, as seen in Mercedes F1 advertisement driven by Mika Hakinnen's Wife!!

Well, my mom's using a 530d (on my reccommendation), and we all love it! It's a great, great, car! Dunno about the 525, though. Maintainance has been as per usual, nothing extraordinary- your uncle must be a very harsh driver.

I would unreservedly reccommend the 530d, it's the best in the range by far. Go for that instead of the 525.

Oh, I think my choice would be: 530d > E240 > 525i.

Cos I think the 525 is terribly underpowered, so might as well go for elegance and comfort.

hmmm ic, i am not sure of how my uncle drives. will test drive both when possible, so far we've just seen it in the showrooms. I have been in my neighbour's 520i, a little boring inside. Dad's not a speed demon, but it really mesmerised by the looks of the 5.

as for the features, the benz has an electronic parking brake, retractable side mirrors (i was told the 5 does not have this), better sound system, it has stuff the bmw has such as the pdc, it has an on-board computer like the 5, except that the 5 has a nicer and bigger screen, electronic seats for both seats with memory, was told the 5 has memory only for the drivers seat, has an alarm sys with anti-tow away feature, 5 has no alarm, auto-dimming exterior rear view mirror, headlight cleaning system and so on, the other features that i did not mention is also available in the 5 series, such as the safety features and so on.

if the e280 will be replacing the e240, than we might as well wait for it. the price, i reckon, should be about the same as the e240 as it will be replacing it.

another thing, the 525i comes with an aluminium finish, i think the interior looks a little dull, after all you are putting in about 400K plus for a car, you should also expect a nice comfy interior.

thts all for now, will keep you all updated.

thanks for all da feedbacks.

I have been using an E60 523, have E240 Avantgarde W211 and also had the opportunity to use the E60 530D for a week.

Personally, I feel the E240 should be compared to the 523(about the same BHP at 177) and not 525. It is true the E240 has a number of features, but question is are they really useful or nice to have. Each additional feature is an additional possible point of failure if they are not really useful .for example, who use the headlight cleaner or electronic memory seats frequently anyway? In fact, I find the 523 a lot more responsive and nimble vs the E240, and you'd be surprised, a lot more economical in fuel consumption. E240 is more comfortable ina a straight line .

E530D? loads of fun!!! If you enjoy driving , this is the one to go for. But the diesel smell is there, somehow it permeates the interior over time.

Does the iDrive on your E60 just goes blank and "hang" which requires a restart of the car to bring it back to life?

A few of my buddies who own the E60 had this common complaint. Also oil leaks from the powersteering after about 2 year or so ownership.

So far they are all OK as their cars are covered under warranty, and wonder about the long term cost of maintaining their E60s..

Originally posted by E46Fanatic@Apr 27 2006, 04:01 PM
Does the iDrive on your E60 just goes blank and "hang" which requires a restart of the car to bring it back to life?
One of my company car did that many times already.... sent back to AB to check, nothing wrong was the answer....

Feedback was the first year was problem free and it start around 1.5 years or so after.

Other than my mom kerbing the alloys big time, the '60 hasn't missed a beat.

Edit:

We've had the car for around a year and a half.

Hi rs navin,

the e280 apparently will be out end may..............and also the facelifted model will be aut in august........price was abt RM440 range .............

Guys I own an E60 525; Nice car to drive but very frustrated with some minor problems in the car.

Previously my I-Drive use to hang and blank out. Then currently today, my whole I-Drive black out, nothing show in the screen.

Really piss off.

But this is a nice car to drive.

Send it back to AB. I was told they will replace the iDrive module to fix this... Cost a bomb outside warranty period.

hmm, i guess will wait for the e280 and compare both before buying, my main concern is the problems that most e60 owners face like the i-drive problems, knowing bmw, it would cost a bomb to repair.

or rather ask ur dad this - which car would he be seen having / driving over time?

As for me 530d with the awesome torque is the best deal one could buy in the executive class.

Been running around since mid last year on the 530d andyes brake pads are kinda concern. Well I found the cause - too much fun pedal usage and hence braking in return..hehe

guys,

sorry been sometime since i kept u guys updated. think my dad will go for the 5. he is in da midst of finalising it. between the 530i and 530d.

thanks for all your feedback.

Top Bottom