External smell getting into cabin

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

hky

Club Guest
Dear all E39 sifus,Whenever I drive pass the drain or an area where there is an open burning, I can smell the foul smell coming into the cabin.I have change the microfilters and also put the aircon to always recirculate internally, but still the same.Any ideas?Thanks in advance.

have you check rubber seals on car doors?? That may be an issue, if rubber is off the place, not aligned or simply damaged..

I feel the carbon filters are working great in my car, u might try them. Price is double the normal one.

hky;577567 said:
Dear all E39 sifus,

Whenever I drive pass the drain or an area where there is an open burning, I can smell the foul smell coming into the cabin. I have change the microfilters and also put the aircon to always recirculate internally, but still the same.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

As the car ages, the flippers which control the air vents may not have closed completely even though the "re-circulated air control button" was activated.
These flippers are located behind the micro-filters housing.

A very simple solution is to seal-up the air vents with a sponge. See Naidu (behind Shell, Jalan Gasing) Cost less than RM 50. You will save the cost of changing micro-filters for life!

Ecc0;577568 said:
have you check rubber seals on car doors?? That may be an issue, if rubber is off the place, not aligned or simply damaged..

nope, didn't look damaged to my eyes

bmw7833;577576 said:
I feel the carbon filters are working great in my car, u might try them. Price is double the normal one.

previously was on the carbon ones, but the frame got warp due to heat and got gap. so changed to normal one, but still.

Jerman;577594 said:
As the car ages, the flippers which control the air vents may not have closed completely even though the "re-circulated air control button" was activated.
These flippers are located behind the micro-filters housing.

A very simple solution is to seal-up the air vents with a sponge. See Naidu (behind Shell, Jalan Gasing) Cost less than RM 50. You will save the cost of changing micro-filters for life!

IC, but I got a stupid question, what happens over time when the sponge starts to break or brittle? Wouldn't it get suck in?

hky;577602 said:
IC, but I got a stupid question, what happens over time when the sponge starts to break or brittle? Wouldn't it get suck in?

The sponge was quite hardy and I have been using it for more than 4 years now. The acid test was following closely behind a bus with "black smoke blowing hard and furious" and yet nothing permeates the cabin. Try it, after all it's really a cheap & fast solution!

E39 has good sound & smell proof ever provided your car is in good condition lar

initialM;577674 said:
E39 has good sound & smell proof ever provided your car is in good condition lar

i'm sure you have seen the car before :)

Yeah I did that using those air con foam, no more outside smell, but downside is cannot recirculate air when someone fart. Haha

When someone or may you fart ...buka tingkap la ...unless your power window kong ...he he..

but you have to admit that the re-circulate function is very effective compare to just open window. :)

me...felt like smoke from front car get into my car...is it related to aircond?

ELnino;592681 said:
me...felt like smoke from front car get into my car...is it related to aircond?

May not be the air-cond. As the car ages, the flippers which control the air vents may not have closed completely even though the "re-circulated air control button" was activated. These flippers are located behind the micro-filters housing.

if u can tell us which part that need to be closed...then more better..hehehe..quite confusing here...

Top Bottom