Excessive fuel consumption

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

shaunng

Club Guest
Hi all,I drive a 1995 E36 325i manual and I clock around RM0.20 - RM0.23 per kilometre depending on how hard I floor my accelerator. That translates to RM20 - RM23 every 100 kilometres.Now, I have a friend that drives 1999 Mercedes Benz CLK 200 Auto without the kompressor that clocks RM0.50 per kilometre. That translates to a whopping RM50 every 100 kilometres! I think we do not need a rocket scientist to tell us that his fuel consumption is BEYOND human comprehension.I have tried helping him to analyse what could have caused the problem. He has:1) Checked his exhaust sensor (not faulty)2) Changed his mass airflow sensor3) Changed his spark plugs4) Cleaned his throttle bodyWhat else could cause this problem? We're thinking it could be his gearbox sensors but it seems to shift gears like how a normal car would. Any ideas?

Check the engine.. maybe there's slug (carbon deposit) inside the engine! what is your friend's service interval???

John_Smith;599571 said:
Try checking O2 sensors also...if it's spoilt, it may be running rich all the time.

To be specific, it is lamda sensors aka pre-cat sensors.

shaunng;599516 said:
Hi all,

Now, I have a friend that drives 1999 Mercedes Benz CLK 200 Auto without the kompressor that clocks RM0.50 per kilometre. That translates to a whopping RM50 every 100 kilometres! I think we do not need a rocket scientist to tell us that his fuel consumption is BEYOND human comprehension.

I have tried helping him to analyse what could have caused the problem. He has:

1) Checked his exhaust sensor (not faulty)
2) Changed his mass airflow sensor
3) Changed his spark plugs
4) Cleaned his throttle body

What else could cause this problem? We're thinking it could be his gearbox sensors but it seems to shift gears like how a normal car would.

Any ideas?

My elephant weight E34 with faulty oxygen sensor still can get 13Xkm for RM50 under heavy foot. 17Xkm for RM50 under occasional spirital drive. Considering that I have a higher axle ratio which i clock 3000rpm at 110km/h @fifth gear.
The CLK really got something wrong.

morpheus5039;599678 said:
My elephant weight E34 with faulty oxygen sensor still can get 13Xkm for RM50 under heavy foot. 17Xkm for RM50 under occasional spirital drive. Considering that I have a higher axle ratio which i clock 3000rpm at 110km/h @fifth gear.
The CLK really got something wrong.

I think fuel consumption should be calculated as ???km / per liter. ???$$$ / per km is not so accurate since the cost of various grades of fuel varies.

udm68;600264 said:
I think fuel consumption should be calculated as ???km / per liter. ???$$$ / per km is not so accurate since the cost of various grades of fuel varies.

My OBC reports 6.3km/litre. By averaging about 5000km.

Top Bottom