European Grand Prix

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Originally posted by fabianyee@May 30 2005, 03:56 PM
anyway, it's hard to say at that time.. Sometimes, it's a clearer picture when u're not in the midst of it...
Thats exactly my point, its the crew's duty to gauge things and feed the drivers with proper information.

Originally posted by ALBundy@May 30 2005, 04:41 PM
Opinions on whether the one tyre rule really spiced up the sport or endanger the drivers..

http://www.planetf1.com/features/letters/story_19720.shtml
The teams have to esure the compound chosen can last the race, but of course they always try to push to the limit. So it';s not the rules that are endangering the drivers but the teams when they choose softer compounds.

I think the FIA should increase the groove depth of the tyres with a rule stating that all four grooves on each tyre must still be visible at the end of the race.

Originally posted by affan66@May 30 2005, 02:33 PM
I think that Kimi should have changed the tires. It was outright dangerous. If he had been a second closer to Button, he might have crashed into Button and endanger someone else. The stewards should have done something too.

Just like we advise people to be careful of what we do on the road and make sure our cars are safe, F1 should have done the same. Kimi knew of the dangers. He should have gone for the tire change and still get points. GREEDY!!!!
It wasnt Kimi's call at that time. McLaren decided not to pit him.

Heidfeld said he was particularly happy with this result since BMW William's ongoing aerodynamic developments were focussing on next few races. This implies more to come from BMW camp. Right now, they are still behind on pace but ya never know about upcoming races. Sad for BAR Honda tho. Still no points!

IMHO, the call for Heidfeld's last minute pitstop spoilt any chance for BMW to be challenging for 1st......I would firing my race strategist, if I was the team boss! ( of course, I say all this in hindsight.....but they could have refueled him to the finish earlier )

Changing rules for tyres? We are in a speed sports...so some danger is a MUST!

Alonso had nightmares with his tires in monaco and now its kimi's turn to suffer the same.. I can guarantee there will be another fumble with tires among the tops teams in the upcoming races this season. Frm my point of view, its silly and foolish to abolish the tire change procedure during pit-stops in F1 races.

Kimi could not change tires becuase the rules does not permit him to. Only thing he can and should have done was to BACK OFF the pace and keep blocking Alonso all the way to the finish line.
Kimi is a great blocker like Trulli, DC, Alonso and Heidfeld. Going for it has its risks as we witnessed.

When it was 6 laps left, I got a distinct feeling Kimi was not going to finish. When it came done to lap 3, my face was almost 12 inches from my TV. Its a 37inch tube set!. The shaking was just amazing as the commentators said. You really cannot see at the corners just like in some badly setup karts you rode on the karting track!. Its just blurry scene and you hope you find the right line to turn the corner and stay on it!.

I think the only guy who knows how to nurse his car/tires is Schumi. He is the master at preserving his car and he seems to know it very well. If Montoya were to be in the situation as Kimi, we would have seen a blowout when there are 4 laps left!. Montoya is pretty hopeless in trailing behind the red car for over 20 laps. I don't get it!. Finally, he is listening to Ron Dennis' instructions to hold pace ?. Even at Williams, Montoya never listened!. Maybe new team , so he needs to prove himself, and also he is not the main man in McLaren YET!.

Drivers like Schumi, Alonso, Trulli, Montoya,and Kimi hardly ever listen to the team bosses when they are in the lead unless there are engine problems from the telemetry data. Else, these guys will go for the win. Its just their temperament that will not change. Their motto is race to win!. Even if it means "Hero to Zero" scenario as we have seen with Kimi.
Back Luck to Kimi but Thats Racing!.

I think Kimi can change tyre cause it can be proven that the flat spotted tyre can be a threat...
the regulation said that u can change the tyres provided the team can prove that it's not safe to go on with the same tyre...

Top Bottom