Engine Stalled after high speed/rev

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
A

armereth

Dear All,Does anyone know what it the problem?Happened twice1) Sat nite, was revving to about 4500rpm then come to a junction. Slow down to almost stopping then turn and wanted to rev again but suddenly the engine died in the middle of the junction luckily it was 2.30am. Did not happen on sunday after driving the whole day. Probably because I did not rev the car2) This morning, revving along jalan loke yew, should be about 4500 - 5000 rpm then slow down to exit at VI, while turning the egine suddenly stopped. Luckily no car cucuking otherwise will be making report now.Also, when stopped, i sense the idling is a little bit erractic but very minor. Just changed plug 1 month ago. So sifu-sifu, would appreciate any advice. Thanks a lot.Arms

could be a lot of thinks, MAF,ICV,fuel pressure regulator,Crankshaft sensor,O2 sensor etc etc

A diagnostic check should reveal the problem. I personally suspect it to be the cam sensor.

happened to me too....that was before I installed the SMT6...could it be the ECU???

you might be having a sensor problem at the icv hoses that might be clogging it up.. or the oil is comming up a lot at the hoses..

or check this out first, cos you are always reving high, the oil is accumilating at the trottle body, so a quick clean-up with 'carb-clean' would do the job... i always use do it on my old e34 and current e30..

no worries.

pussy

So many good suggestions already, so I will summary the steps in order here:

1) Do a complete ECU reset. Find the procedure somethere using Search function.

2) Check hoses, ICV, clean MAF/AFM. Check Ignition coil and Plug Wiring harness for breaks/cracks/sparks. Easiest is to spray a water mist when engine is running near the ignition wires, if you see sparks dancing around, time for new Wire set for plugs!.

3) Check plugs too as two or more could foul already for some reason.

4) The rest of the sensors, your mechanic is better place to check them.

Good luck.

Thanks all for the info.

I tested again just now, pushed to 4k rpm and made a stop immediately. But problem not recurring. Anyway, if it happens again, I think this will be my elimination checklist.

1) Reset ECU.

2) Throttle Body Cleaning. I kinda have the feeling this could be the problem as it only happens after high revving. I have seen some carb cleaner in Brothers. Can it be used?

3) Fuel regulator check. But what and how to check? mine is running on some aftgermarket fuel regulator. See pic.

4) If the above doesn't work, then I will send in to check sensors.

5) Check ECU.

BTW, what is ICV? MAF/AFM is attached to throttle body right? or it is throttle body. Plug shouldn't be a problem. Just changed 2 months ago.

WJ,
Nolah. Afraid of the CREATOR. Advice kinda "inaccurate".

Kawei, Naza2
So, just reset ECU? How much does it cost you? Where did you get it done?

Albundy, Pussy, Zoggee
Thanks

Originally posted by armereth@Jun 20 2005, 07:27 AM
Kawei, Naza2
So, just reset ECU? How much does it cost you? Where did you get it done?
They fine tune it for me for ermmm ...... , ~ RM 270 :)

Try checking all vaccum hoses first. When was the last time you changed all the vaccum hoses? They are cheap, but often neglected by drivers

Originally posted by Vincent Hor@Jun 20 2005, 10:37 PM
Try checking all vaccum hoses first. When was the last time you changed all the vaccum hoses? They are cheap, but often neglected by drivers
Not sure. But they look pretty new. I check connection the other day. All looks connected. Should be no problem.

Kawei,
Hmmm.... RM270.. Where?

Originally posted by armereth@Jun 20 2005, 09:44 AM
Kawei,
Hmmm.... RM270.. Where?
Auto Bavaria, Penang

Threw the bill away, roughly RM 77 labour + RM 200 equipment

Hi Arm,

From your first pic, I see that the fuel pressure is just 32PSI ???. If this is correct, then you are running LOWER fuel pressure that could be your main problem. Stock FP is 3 bar or 44 PSI!!!.

Check if your FPR is adjustable and try to adjust it to 44-45psi, runing it for a couple of days. If your fuel pressure is so low, you will have a lot less power! Or running very lean!. If it is not adjustable, get a BMW stock FPR, it is one of the best build for stock application!.

urs do not have AFM. u have MAF: it's a hard plastic cylinder with an air sensor attached to it. most likely, it is right after your air intake (airbox).

the one in your picture is the throttle body.

i didnt reset my ECU. i had to replace mine.

E34Euro,
Ha. I thot the previous owner fixed this because we wanted to ensure fuel is enough. I will check whether it is adjustable. But after revving it, it climbs but not sure to how much. This is fxed aftermarket. BTW, mine car is running on SC.

Naza,
Oh. Ok. Then roughly I know where it is. So is cleaning it the same as cleaning AFM like what jarance show in his AFM service thread in DIY section?

Anyway, I am very confused about the parts. So, to make it simple, I have attached a pic of the engine with some labels on it. If you guys don't mind can you list the the name according to the alphabeth i.e. A = ..., G= Air Intake and so on. I think it will also helps some newbie.

Thanks a million

Bro, the picture you posted is the throttle body. MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) is the round tube with cable attached after the air filter. Yours is a M50 based engine and as such is called MAF rather than AFM (well they serve similar purpose).

As for the ICV (Idling control valve), its located beneath the intake manifold. And its not so visible.

Anyway, do you notice any significant loss of power? Is your idling consistent? Is your idling affected when you switch on/off the air conditioner?

Al

Originally posted by ALBundy@Jun 21 2005, 11:27 AM
Bro, the picture you posted is the throttle body. MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) is the round tube with cable attached after the air filter. Yours is a M50 based engine and as such is called MAF rather than AFM (well they serve similar purpose).

As for the ICV (Idling control valve), its located beneath the intake manifold. And its not so visible.

Anyway, do you notice any significant loss of power? Is your idling consistent? Is your idling affected when you switch on/off the air conditioner?

Al
Al,

Can you point me the ICV? Read from somewhere that servicing it really really helps even when engine does not give problem. It is a good maintenance practice.

No. There is no loss of power. Just that it stall after coming down from high revving. Thats all. Taruh again this morning but problem not recurring.

No. Idling not affected with aircon on/off.

So, I hope its nothing major isn't it .....please tell me is Oklah...very worrylah. he he he

Thanks
Arms

Top Bottom