Engine Replacement Or Overhaulin?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

arasly

Club Guest
Hi there forumers & sifus,I'm simply a novice, driving a '96 E34 single vanos 520i. My recent visit to a mechanic for regular service has indicated that the engine is consuming black oil. The mechanic has indicated that I have 2 choices:1. To do complete overhaul of the engine.2. To change to a 2.5 engine.The mechanic also said that the cost of changing a new (half cut) engine would be cheaper than overhaulin the engine.Questions to all sifus & forumers:1. Is it true that the cost of changin the engine would be cheaper?2. By changin the engine, I'm afraid of inheriting old problems that comes with the engine.3. Finally, I need to know feedback, pro & con of the above, i.e. overhaulin vs changin the engine.On the other hand, I'd like to have the feel of more power of the 2.5 engine!Decision...decision...decision!Regards & lookin forward to response from all of you.Thank you in advance.

Thanks guys. I think 2.5 engine would do just fine cos I'm no speed demon.

swap to bigger engine and get more poke. yes, transplanting with a healthy engine is cheaper than rebuilding the currrent one. i agree with felix, go for the M30B35..

Thank you all for the feedback. Yes! It'll be the engine swap but only to the 2.5 cos sudah tua la & kecut! No guts to go fast anymore. But it'll be good to know that u have a bigger engine under the hood in case u need the power as opposed to the snail like crawl of the 2.0 engine.

Now to save the mulah for the new (used) engine!

arasly;458231 said:
Thanks guys. I think 2.5 engine would do just fine cos I'm no speed demon.

......do like pussy says, change to a 3.5 M30 engine and u WILL be a demon:4::4:

3.5L engine is cheaper to run, parts are a lot, and the power to weight ratio of the e34 is much lighter hence a very good fuel economy...

cheers..

hehehehehe...2.5 vanos cantik masuk manual pehhhhhhhhhh
or
3.5 setan mari tambah manual...kalau mau enjin ada ..............manual gbox m30 pun ada
ADA BRAN...CONTACT TUAN HAMBA....:top::top::top:

Thank you guys. Gosh, racun datang bertubi2...nak elak pun banyak susah!

Anyway, appreciate your feedback and I pretty much has made my decision.....any 2.5 engine single vanos auto (for old man) available?

Cheers!

got a lot at chop shops... only must be lucky and best offer...

a few members here know all the towkay potong... why dun you ask them to look for you.

psst... they are the ones usually post in the classifieds....

cabuz...

Sawaddee krub.....sabai dee mai?

Good choice, thers plenty of 2.5 vanos here. Is your car here? or you will buy and bring it ther?

First depends on where do you live, so swap or overhaul...?
Swap and wirings are not correctly done, you'll get less fr wat M50B25TU can offer, 192hp/250NM.
Overhaul with right wshop, you'll get that almost 150hp/200NM back from your current engine, as long as the engine head still good (never overheat).
By the way, getting good halfcut with M50B25TU now can be headache.
Go and talk with your best known wshop.

vixxx;458808 said:
Sawaddee krub.....sabai dee mai?

Good choice, thers plenty of 2.5 vanos here. Is your car here? or you will buy and bring it ther?

Sawasdee krup...phom sabai dee krap. Khun Vixxx sabai dee mai?

My car is in PJ & will be in PJ. Intend to look around for the engine while saving $$$. Probably will make it a reality by year end. But makes it difficult to look for the engine while I'm in KK though. Ahh, well, patience is the virtue & hopefully good things will come when I'm ready.

Thanks for all your feedback guys...really appreciate it.

Cheers!

arasly;458735 said:
Thank you guys. Gosh, racun datang bertubi2...nak elak pun banyak susah!

Anyway, appreciate your feedback and I pretty much has made my decision.....any 2.5 engine single vanos auto (for old man) available?

Cheers!

.............wait till u see 'old man' XXX or 'old man' uncle lamoo drive their e34.

mandonna;458654 said:
hehehehehe...2.5 vanos cantik masuk manual pehhhhhhhhhh
or
3.5 setan mari tambah manual...kalau mau enjin ada ..............manual gbox m30 pun ada
ADA BRAN...CONTACT TUAN HAMBA....:top::top::top:

bro, gearbox or engin bro?....

Phom ko cernkarn krub, phom pheng pean ngan mai. Thorn ni phom ruam ngarn kab miecc (the mines).
Reang root phi nen, phom ko hen doi krub, chai yen yen mai thong reep lek cak dai khong thook lek dee.

vixxx;459553 said:
Phom ko cernkarn krub, phom pheng pean ngan mai. Thorn ni phom ruam ngarn kab miecc (the mines).
Reang root phi nen, phom ko hen doi krub, chai yen yen mai thong reep lek cak dai khong thook lek dee.

Gee vixxx, u lost me there, man! I told u my Thai is only bout 50%. Correct me if I'm wrong...what I got is that u are now working with miecc. Then u told me not to rush (I assume in getting the new engine) and the rest is like German...hahaha

Top Bottom