Engine Rattling Noise

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
pussy said:
K.M. first of all u neber tell what engine is yours m40,m42, m43, m44 ?

i presume it's a m40 engine, cos a m42,43,44 will never sound like that..

m40 only uses timing belt the rest uses chain. in your circumtances, the engine lifters or rocker arms or the cam is worned out..very common in m40's .. dun waste your time on a any type of oil.. thicker oil will kill your engine..

regards.

Whopps..sorry about that. My engine is M43 with timing chain.Care to explain further, why thicker oil will kill the engine?

The sound clip was taken from a bmw forum and VW forum as both coming from car running on timing chain.

sesat88 said:
i am blending & testing some cooking oils plus lubes this weekend will let u know soon ;)

Heehehehe

Sesat88,

What happen to your xperiment? What is the outcome? Able to find the culprit or not??

K.M.
Car feel lighter and smoother but of course la with new blood in it. Not much lagging with a bit more torque BUT the cursed !@#$-ing tippety tappety noise is still there. Not as loud as it use to be. I am going to run it for a couple of thousand first b4 i make my conclusion.

Notice one thing, last time the rattling comes on pretty quick like after a few mins after I start my engine, now it takes like more than 5 mins or so when the engines is warmed up nice, then the rattling happens... so there is some progress after all ;)

sesat88 said:
K.M.
Car feel lighter and smoother but of course la with new blood in it. Not much lagging with a bit more torque BUT the cursed !@#$-ing tippety tappety noise is still there. Not as loud as it use to be. I am going to run it for a couple of thousand first b4 i make my conclusion.

Notice one thing, last time the rattling comes on pretty quick like after a few mins after I start my engine, now it takes like more than 5 mins or so when the engines is warmed up nice, then the rattling happens... so there is some progress after all ;)

Are you telling me that by pouring cooking oil into your engine make your car smoother now?

K.M. said:
Are you telling me that by pouring cooking oil into your engine make your car smoother now?
KM

No la..of course not cooking oil la!

Any progress on your side?

sesat88 said:
KM

No la..of course not cooking oil la!

Any progress on your side?

No progress at all. I think I juz let it be like that for a while.
The car is not losing power and the engine running smooth.
It juz minor problem with noise. Well, it's a 10 years old car.
Need some patience and will repair it slowly. It's a journey of perfecting my car.

K.M. said:
The car is not losing power and the engine running smooth.
It juz minor problem with noise. Well, it's a 10 years old car.
Need some patience and will repair it slowly. It's a journey of perfecting my car.

make your car soundproof..
so, you wont hear that noise again..
he he.. :D

metalrizca said:
make your car soundproof..
so, you wont hear that noise again..
he he.. :D

Its already sound proof. I only hear the noise when the windows are down. If not, I only hear the wind and tyre noise. The car had became very much quiet now compared when I first purchase it. Anyway, I love the car very much and I think its going to be my last.

K.M. said:
Its already sound proof. I only hear the noise when the windows are down. If not, I only hear the wind and tyre noise. The car had became very much quiet now compared when I first purchase it. Anyway, I love the car very much and I think its going to be my last.

next upgrade,
bulletproof.. :eek:

erm.. :rolleyes:

A light engine knock, after cold start, that gradually dissipates as the engine warms up and is virtually undetectable (from inside the vehicle) once the engine has reached operating temperature, is a normal characteristic of these engines. Repair attempts to reduce this type noise are generally unsuccessful.

metalrizca said:
next upgrade,
bulletproof.. :eek:

erm.. :rolleyes:

My engine is not like that. The sound will always come once the engine warm and rpm reach 1000-1500.I have a great feeling that it is cause by the tensioner. Anyway, after hari raya will take a look at it again.Hopefully got trip to KL after hari raya....need to pay a visit to BMWorks.

Top Bottom