Engine Rattling Noise

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

K.M.

Club Guest
Hello Bro&Sifus, I just wanna ask, did anybody experienced this kind on rattling noise on their E36(Please click the link to hear the noise). The noise coming from engine front side, perhaps timing cover area. I couldn't identify whether it's coming from valve cover area or timing cover area.It only happen during RPM 1000 to 1500. Could it be timing chain tensioner, sprocket or valve lifter? http://utd.edu/~apirkle/m3_noise.mp3 Thanks.K.M.

K.M. said:
Hello Bro&Sifus,

I just wanna ask, did anybody experienced this kind on rattling noise on their E36(Please click the link to hear the noise). The noise coming from engine front side, perhaps timing cover area. I couldn't identify whether it's coming from valve cover area or timing cover area.
It only happen during RPM 1000 to 1500. Could it be timing chain tensioner, sprocket or valve lifter?

http://utd.edu/~apirkle/m3_noise.mp3

Thanks.
K.M.
let you know after i find that dirty rat! Am going to to some cooking ...this weekend with a few oils.... ;) Almost same sound as mine. Usually can be due to a number of things like:
1) tappets/lifter jamming
2) oil pump going off
3) blockage in the oil spray
4) conrod bearing shells

BTW, if timing chain is failing, the noise isn't like that... in fact..is screeches when it is about to die. Same thing with the tensioner.

K.M. said:
The second sample, the sound come out at constant 1200rpm.

Sound like a tappet or hydraulic lifter. Use ticker engine oil. Hope it may reduce the noise.

For better result change to new set. abt rm80 / pc x 16 pcs = rm 1280

Rgds

KK ONG

K.M. said:
Hello Bro&Sifus,

I just wanna ask, did anybody experienced this kind on rattling noise on their E36(Please click the link to hear the noise). The noise coming from engine front side, perhaps timing cover area. I couldn't identify whether it's coming from valve cover area or timing cover area.
It only happen during RPM 1000 to 1500. Could it be timing chain tensioner, sprocket or valve lifter?

http://utd.edu/~apirkle/m3_noise.mp3

Thanks.
K.M.

If your running on timing chain, check chain tentioner.

I almost confirmed it is the timing chain related because the link of sample sound is taken from VW forum where the had changed his timing chain guide rail. The sympthom wrote down almost the same like mine.

1.Sound only come out at rpm 1000-1500
2. He cannot hear the sound unless the window is open.
3. The sound can only be hear when the car when thru passing a wall giving sound reflection.

Anyway, if it is the lifter, I will feel more relief so that I have more time before change it. If it is timing chain related, afraid it could jump and destroy my engine.

Fortunately, 4 pot only got 8 valve lifter, RM80 X 8=640.

sesat88 said:
let you know after i find that dirty rat! Am going to to some cooking ...this weekend with a few oils.... ;) Almost same sound as mine. Usually can be due to a number of things like:
1) tappets/lifter jamming
2) oil pump going off
3) blockage in the oil spray
4) conrod bearing shells

BTW, if timing chain is failing, the noise isn't like that... in fact..is screeches when it is about to die. Same thing with the tensioner.

Sesat88,

If not mistaken you'd changed something on your timing chain part right?And the sound still there.

This morning I'd notice one more thing, the sound only come when engine become warmer and hot. First start in the morning, immediately push engine to 1300rpm, no sound can be hear. As the engine become warmer, the sound slowly come out.

With this, I can ruled out the guide rail and sprocket. It must be either tensioner or valve lifter. My theory, as engine become warmer, the liquidity of oil become less which result less oil pressure on the tensioner at low rpm. But at high rpm, enough oil pressure send to tensioner and that's why the sound goes away.

Valve lifter or timing chain tensioner? any idea?

K.M. said:
This morning I'd notice one more thing, the sound only come when engine become warmer and hot. First start in the morning, immediately push engine to 1300rpm, no sound can be hear. As the engine become warmer, the sound slowly come out.

With this, I can ruled out the guide rail and sprocket. It must be either tensioner or valve lifter. My theory, as engine become warmer, the liquidity of oil become less which result less oil pressure on the tensioner at low rpm. But at high rpm, enough oil pressure send to tensioner and that's why the sound goes away.

Valve lifter or timing chain tensioner? any idea?

sure is valve lifter...........:rolleyes:
i think that is 16 valve
so, RM80 x 16 = RM1280

try use engine oil more ticker 10-40w:cool:

joe_myinc said:
sure is valve lifter...........:rolleyes:
i think that is 16 valve
so, RM80 x 16 = RM1280

try use engine oil more ticker 10-40w:cool:

If valve lifter, then I just change the oil 1st...which brand is good to remedy this sickness..

K.M. said:
Sesat88,

If not mistaken you'd changed something on your timing chain part right?And the sound still there.
KM,
no change something.. change the blardy timing chain la.. plus conrod shell bearings ;)

K.M. said:
If valve lifter, then I just change the oil 1st...which brand is good to remedy this sickness..
use knife cooking oil larr. cepat di masak, sedap di bungkus..... hahahahaha

i am blending & testing some cooking oils plus lubes this weekend will let u know soon ;)

Heehehehe

K.M. said:

use castrol GTX
i think 4 litre below RM50
and add one valve treatment

try arround two week:cool:

if same................:rolleyes:
can't do anything
find one good workshop:eek:

K.M. said:

any mineral oil will do lah.............

joe_myinc said:
use castrol GTX
i think 4 litre below RM50
and add one valve treatment

try arround two week:cool:

if same................:rolleyes:
can't do anything
find one good workshop:eek:

OK, I will try. 10W-40 right.
some had said that if start the engine in morning with no sound and the sound only come after engine warm-up, it's not the valve lifter sympthom. Still a bit confuse.

K.M. said:
OK, I will try. 10W-40 right.
some had said that if start the engine in morning with no sound and the sound only come after engine warm-up, it's not the valve lifter sympthom. Still a bit confuse.

10W-40 will not solve your problem.

Try someything 15w-50

K.M. first of all u neber tell what engine is yours m40,m42, m43, m44 ?

i presume it's a m40 engine, cos a m42,43,44 will never sound like that..

m40 only uses timing belt the rest uses chain. in your circumtances, the engine lifters or rocker arms or the cam is worned out..very common in m40's .. dun waste your time on a any type of oil.. thicker oil will kill your engine..

regards.

Top Bottom