Engine FailSafe Program - Help

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

suren2485

Club Guest
Hi Sifu's I just bought an E39 523i, it is in pristine condition, lately off an on i get the "Engine Failsafe Program" when i first turn the key into ignition, i then turn off the ignition leave it for a few sec and turn back the ignition the error doesn't come back again. The error also comes and goes while driving but doesn't affect the performance of the car, the engine still runs smooth. I took it to diagnose the issue, the computer shows Engine Throttle, Sluggish/stuck. the mechanic said it could be a throttle body issue, he check the throttle body and its clean. He cleared the error and said you drive first and see most likely need to replace the throttle body. Any of you encountered this issue before and any tips to rectify this. appreciate your input guys. Thanks in advance

hi suren, kindly proceed to the newbie section for a brief intro.....i have never experienced this before. Btw, since you have cleared the error, just drive it as usual and do update us if the symptom persists...tq bro

Thanks man, after clearing the error i didn't get the message again for about a week, Today i was heading to work and the message came back, but i could still drive the car without any issues, i stopped turn off the car leave if for a min then start back the error was no more.

Hey Guys,

Now i'm having the same error message again, i get the "engine failsafe Prog" and the ASC light on, then when you rev the RPM doesn't go more than 1500. the engine will rev rough. I cleared the ICV and fixed and it was ok then the issue came back again. what could be the issue, Really need to fix it once a for all since this is driving me crazy. Thanks in advance

bro,you'll really need to have it hooked up to the diagnostic machine to see the error codes again.the asc is related to the throttle body.these cars are cheap to buy but not to maintain.if you DIY kaki maybe ken save a little.......gud lak

Since the diagnostic mention ASC, you should check the module and sensors to make sure they work. ASC can cut engine power when it is being given false reading of rear wheel slipping. It may or may not be related to the throttle - Sluggish/stuck error

Hi I have the same problem use to on and off the message will go off l guess could be the sensor module keep me update if hv found found any solution.

I would think this is related to throttle body, however u may wait for it to get real worst b4 u change the throttle body....keep us update if the change resolve your problem.

Hey guys the issue became worse and i had to get a new throttle body and it fixed the issue but now i have another new issue after starting the car for a while the engine stalls with Engine failsafe Program, when i read online many said it could be the cam position sensor :(

suren2485;796208 said:
Hey guys the issue became worse and i had to get a new throttle body and it fixed the issue but now i have another new issue after starting the car for a while the engine stalls with Engine failsafe Program, when i read online many said it could be the cam position sensor :(

cam position sensor ? Better meet me tonight. I got the scanner. I can check for u. My hp number is 016 395 3826. Whatsapp is 014 938 6599.

tweiboon;796245 said:
cam position sensor ? Better meet me tonight. I got the scanner. I can check for u. My hp number is 016 395 3826. Whatsapp is 014 938 6599.

Hi tweiboon,

Sorry i couldn't meet yo tonight since im working, btw what Scanner are you using ?, I have the scanner too, i use Carsoft application and did a diagnose and no error came up. Will you be free on Sunday ? Honestly appreciate your help man, Do let me know, cheers

suren2485;796464 said:
Hi tweiboon,

Sorry i couldn't meet yo tonight since im working, btw what Scanner are you using ?, I have the scanner too, i use Carsoft application and did a diagnose and no error came up. Will you be free on Sunday ? Honestly appreciate your help man, Do let me know, cheers

I have BMW Scanner 1.4, inpa Scanner and Super Scanner. I only use BMW Scanner 1.4 and Super Scanner.

I am free on Sunday.

hi bors,any update for the issue?mine oso gt this arror "engine failsafe prgm".mech check through alternater,ignition swithch,maf sensor,throtle body seem to b in gd condition,now he suspect injector giving pblm,as my engine oil gt smething like fuel smell. any idea what wrong wif my car?

ryucky81;797696 said:
hi bors,any update for the issue?mine oso gt this arror "engine failsafe prgm".mech check through alternater,ignition swithch,maf sensor,throtle body seem to b in gd condition,now he suspect injector giving pblm,as my engine oil gt smething like fuel smell. any idea what wrong wif my car?
Hi bro, my friend sufered the same trans fail prog last year. The culprit was the wet ecu which is located under the micro filter in tge engine bay. The ecu cover was missing,so it became wet during rainy days..now no more issue.. Get it checked, good luck bro.

hi all,my car pblm solve,main culprit is fuel rail,after change and it stll hv error show that throttle body stll gv pblm,after cleaning throttle body n clear all fault code,car drive normaly liao. part change:fuel filter,mas sensor,fuel injector,fuel rail,spark plug.

My car face engine failsafe prog as well. Changed Cam position sensor (Intake). Problem solved.

Sorry for the late reply. My issue was resolved with a brand new throttle body, cause the throttle sensor is build in the throttle body, howeever for the new m54 engine they have throttle sensor separate from the throttle body, so you can just change the throttle sensor.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

Top Bottom