elective changing O2 sensor

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

fssiaw

Club Guest
hi, i have read somewhere, after 100,000km we may have to change the oxygen sensor. do we need to ? if yes which one? what is the cost?i had changed my camshaft sensor, pick up improved . now itchy bottom, want to change somemore hoping to get more power....

If your fuel consumption worsens, then do a modic test to determine if the O2 sensor is faulty. Otherwise, no reason to change it. Depending on which model is your car, the price varies. Siemens sensor will be more expensive.

fssiaw said:
hi,

i have read somewhere, after 100,000km we may have to change the oxygen sensor. do we need to ? if yes which one? what is the cost?

i had changed my camshaft sensor, pick up improved .

now itchy bottom, want to change somemore hoping to get more power....
one of the E46 maintenance list online recommend changing O2 sensor at 75K miles coz they say its prone to failure around that age. i think it cost around 450. is yours E46 and how much did u change your camshaft sensor? Btw, my car just reach 100K n i have ask my mechanic about the O2 sensor coz i feel like changing it too, but like albundy mention, he says that if your fuel consumption is normal, your idling is fine and your car does not have power loss out of a sudden, then no need to change. the engine light icon may also appear in your dash display if something wrong with your sensor. we just need to monitor

Is there a warning light for O2 sensors? Mine failed, had to do a modic test to find out, then changed RM620 x 2.

no warning signs yet. not long ago, the car was sluggish and I sent in for modic check few times, but all ok. then until one day they told me the oxygen camshaft sensor was out. but no warning signs and after i have changed it, wow, a surge of power, lah. now at times can be sluggish but not often.
thats why,now itchy butt , want to change all the sensors !!!!

Mine i thought was the sensors, I changed them but no difference...hahah

Wasted 2 sensors.. ;(

mine is e39 523 1999. I do not know exactly how many sensors. i know there are pre and post catalytic and camshaft sensor.
I would like to know technically which one is related somehow to engine performance, then we can try changing them. I read that we do not need to wait for the light to come like my previous experience but considering the fact of old and worn out insulation, maybe it is wise to change them. what say you all?

publicbus said:
fssiaw,
How many O2 sensors are there? Mine is e39 523 year 2000.

If you have a cat converter, you should have 2, (1 pre and 1 post). The 2nd sensor monitors how well the cat cnvrtr is functioning. A failure in either 1 will illuminate check engine light etc.

If I'm not mistaken, Launch has a function where you can actually see the health of the sensors. Not just good/bad but actual fluctuations in the range of 200mv (lean) and 800mV (rich). I guess the ECU adjusts fuel/air ratio (combustion) to keep the voltage at about 400-500mV which is the optimum point (the stoichiometric air :fuel ratio). So on a healthy sensor should see a volatge in this range.

I think (not too sure though) I have seen this pulse from my car's sensor on the handheld Launch tool. If the readings are out of range you could probably say that the sensor hasn't failed completely but might be heading that way. Anyone care to comment.

Top Bottom