E90 320i cannot start

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

subraputra

Official Member
My car suddenly cannot start at all no sound from starter but all the light at dashboard working fine.due to no time to check what is the problem so I use another car to go work.on the next day I just try to start the car and everything is work well so what should be the problem starter or wiring problem....

subraputra said:
My car suddenly cannot start at all no sound from starter but all the light at dashboard working fine.due to no time to check what is the problem so I use another car to go work.on the next day I just try to start the car and everything is work well so what should be the problem starter or wiring problem....
Check battery terminal for loose connection.

Problem solve after change new starter.the old starter giving problem due to the power supply stud become loose and unstable power go to starter that y some time can start some time cannot.part need to change starter assy and manifold gasket cost rm 689.00 labour diy

quite a tedious job since the starter is located behind the engine...just changed mine, same symptom, starter alone is RM 500.00.

My car is 2010 E92 320i.

Just came back from outstation for the CNY holidays with the car. Upon arriving home, left the car idling for a good 5 minutes before i turn of the engine. All was good and fine.

After an hour, wanted to go out for dinner and the car couldn't start at first. The starter did kick start the car but the engine won't come to life.

So went out for dinner with another car. Came home 2 hours after and attempted to start the car again.

This time, did managed to start it. But engine stalled upon RPM dropping. This scenario repeated 3 times and i stopped to get it started to prevent further damage.

This is the first time I encounter this problem. It always has been a single push start and the car comes to life effortlessly.

Any ideas what's wrong from all the experience UDM owners here?

DanzE90 said:
could it be the crank sensor, sometimes my car does die while idling.
Hi bro @DanzE90,

Just to share with you and all the E9x owners here regarding the outcome.

Tried started it yesterday morning. Again RPM dropped till 500 and engine about to stall, so have to slightly step on the throttle to maintain the RPM @ 800-900.
Drove it to Auto Bavaria immediately since no fault codes were thrown to me nor loss of power suffered from the car.

Upon arriving at AB, the car seems fine. Left it for one full day there for them to run through diagnostics on the car. I was there the whole day as well to monitor.
Everything turned out to be fine and my car seems to be healthy. They test drove the car and everything was normal. Spark plugs, ignition coil, a few mentioned sensors and starter seems to be normal and healthy.

But the senior mechanic there did mentioned, MIGHT or MIGHT NOT BE fuel pump showing signs.

Was a smooth drive home from AB after that. And have since left parked at the carpark bay. Will usually use it on weekends only.

My car is exactly 6 years old this 24th February 2016. Done only genuine 26k mileage. Been with AB service centre since day 1 it left the showroom. And this is the first time I've encountered this issue. Still puzzled though. Haven't been sleeping well since. Heh!

Fuel pump failure can be easily be checked by plugging a pressure guage at the fuel manifold.
if the fuel pressure is eratic or not holding when the engine is switch off, change it.

ps pressure should be about 3 bar.

Ian Fleming said:
Hi bro @DanzE90,

Just to share with you and all the E9x owners here regarding the outcome.

Tried started it yesterday morning. Again RPM dropped till 500 and engine about to stall, so have to slightly step on the throttle to maintain the RPM @ 800-900.
Drove it to Auto Bavaria immediately since no fault codes were thrown to me nor loss of power suffered from the car.

Upon arriving at AB, the car seems fine. Left it for one full day there for them to run through diagnostics on the car. I was there the whole day as well to monitor.
Everything turned out to be fine and my car seems to be healthy. They test drove the car and everything was normal. Spark plugs, ignition coil, a few mentioned sensors and starter seems to be normal and healthy.

But the senior mechanic there did mentioned, MIGHT or MIGHT NOT BE fuel pump showing signs.

Was a smooth drive home from AB after that. And have since left parked at the carpark bay. Will usually use it on weekends only.

My car is exactly 6 years old this 24th February 2016. Done only genuine 26k mileage. Been with AB service centre since day 1 it left the showroom. And this is the first time I've encountered this issue. Still puzzled though. Haven't been sleeping well since. Heh!

Case of "sometime can, sometime cannot" is most difficult to trouble shoot. Does it should like only 3 cylinders firing? Possibly one intermittent faulty ignition coil. I would quickly get under the hood and unplug the coil wire one by one to identify the culprit, if that is the case la.

yesterday also experienced car cannot start, engine not cranking whatsoever, no error signs appeared (its like pressing the start/stop button without pressing on the brake pedal). bout an hour later car able to start again.

Dunno.. If Japanese car, it will be at the top of the brake pedal.. U tekan brake it clicks and ignite the brake lights.

Easy to check. Put in the fob, press start button without pressing brake pedal. Meter cluster will ignite. Then tekan brake pedal and get someone to check if brake lights ignite or not. If got lights, means the switch working.

Hi @DanzE90, @jarance, @astroboy,

Just to share with you guys and to other related owners.

As from my previous post, I encountered starting problems with my car.
Sent to Auto Bavaria, ran thru whatever diagnostics on it, shows no sign of faults. Senior mech @ AB took it for spin for a good 15 mins (with me in the passenger seat), power delivery was almost instant and everything was smooth.

AB and the senior mech suspected my fuel was tainted. (Was running on RON95 then). He suggested I try RON97 after i finish that current tank of RON95. Should the problem persists, let him know.

And since then, it's my 2nd tank of RON97 now. So far so good.

Top Bottom