E90 320/318

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

sk0505

Guys, i am looking to purchase an E90 320/318. Are these models much problematic ? I understand that upon purchase there is going to be some maintenance to be done. It will be my weekend drive, which is not going to involve routine outstation drives or serious touring during weekends.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
the e90 320 would be more than 15years old by the time you acquire one. mileage wise, it will be up there in 1xx,xxx km. low mileage units? just be careful, unless you are buying it from a single owner.

The n46 engine is a bit manja, but a bit reliable. You would need to sort out all the seals and gaskets and hoses and pumps to get in in good condition.

Rule of thumb:
1. try to get a unit from direct owner
2. insist on maintenance recors/receipts on the maintenance/repairs on the car

you did mentioned "routine outstation drives on weekends" : Why not look for a 320d instead?

good luck!!

the e90 320 would be more than 15years old by the time you acquire one. mileage wise, it will be up there in 1xx,xxx km. low mileage units? just be careful, unless you are buying it from a single owner.

The n46 engine is a bit manja, but a bit reliable. You would need to sort out all the seals and gaskets and hoses and pumps to get in in good condition.

Rule of thumb:
1. try to get a unit from direct owner
2. insist on maintenance recors/receipts on the maintenance/repairs on the car

you did mentioned "routine outstation drives on weekends" : Why not look for a 320d instead?

good luck!!
Thanks for the reply.

I will never get even Japanese make from a dealer. Even the direct owner may not be honest !

so the e90’s engine requires extra care and is not that much of a reliable model ! I was thinking twice about the e90 because i had read that the rod bearings can fail, injectors can go bad and that compared to E46, the E90 is not that great in reliability. Hence i was thinking if i should avoid E90.

i actually wanted to get an E46ci, but am still unsure, further a Ci does not come by easily.

no i meant there was not going to be a routine outstation.

In your view, for an initial service and change of the misc bushes, gaskets and pumps, would the cost go beyond 10k ?

Thanks for the reply.

I will never get even Japanese make from a dealer. Even the direct owner may not be honest !

so the e90’s engine requires extra care and is not that much of a reliable model ! I was thinking twice about the e90 because i had read that the rod bearings can fail, injectors can go bad and that compared to E46, the E90 is not that great in reliability. Hence i was thinking if i should avoid E90.

i actually wanted to get an E46ci, but am still unsure, further a Ci does not come by easily.

no i meant there was not going to be a routine outstation.

In your view, for an initial service and change of the misc bushes, gaskets and pumps, would the cost go beyond 10k ?

Aside from the model preference, you should also consider the engines it comes with. earlier M54 engines are solid and bullet proof. They are in the e46. then in the e90, they moved to n52 & n53 engines, with the latter on 325i. So far, the rod bearing issues are more on the n54 & n55 engines, but not n52 & n53. Again, these are wear n tear items, so at certain mileage, you would still need to change it. if the car has been taken care off diligently, such issue rarely occurs. injectors, it will have to be serviced, as its already aged quire sometime.

Initial preventive maintenance could go upwards to RM10k. COULD.... as it depends on the condition of the car, how well it was maintained. some are truly buy n drive, while some are a 'work-in-progress'. Again, if possible, do find a unit with full service history, so at least u wont have that much of a headache, and u can plan you maintenance program.

Aside from the model preference, you should also consider the engines it comes with. earlier M54 engines are solid and bullet proof. They are in the e46. then in the e90, they moved to n52 & n53 engines, with the latter on 325i. So far, the rod bearing issues are more on the n54 & n55 engines, but not n52 & n53. Again, these are wear n tear items, so at certain mileage, you would still need to change it. if the car has been taken care off diligently, such issue rarely occurs. injectors, it will have to be serviced, as its already aged quire sometime.

Initial preventive maintenance could go upwards to RM10k. COULD.... as it depends on the condition of the car, how well it was maintained. some are truly buy n drive, while some are a 'work-in-progress'. Again, if possible, do find a unit with full service history, so at least u wont have that much of a headache, and u can plan you maintenance program.

true, i should look at the specific engines. I see that the E46 is reputable sue to its use of m54.
I must say that you have given very good info about which engines are to be avoised. I really appreciate the info you have given. It a good guide.

i understand that at certain mileage the rod bearings need to be replaced, i need to look out fir that when i go shopping, again thanks for the input.

my budget is to keep 10k aside for both initial service and unforeseen repairs. If the repairs would cost more than 10k, then i would be in trouble !!!
i will have to look for one that has been maintained well, which means i cant go for the ones priced at the lower end.

as you say, i expect a well taken care E90 to have its service records.

Thanks for the feedback

Top Bottom