E60 Steering Ticking Noise / Shudder when turning

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ess530i

Club Guest
ok i've had enough of this problem and need a solution fast...heard from several other e60 owners they face the same problem as well. checked with a few workshop they gave different explanation:1. bearing no oil2. whole steering rack need to change3. active steering motor problem & etcnone could give me a fixed price for the repair. anyone with similar prob pls list down your names here. then we may try to get a fixed quote / group discount from a qualified workshop. for those who have fixed their prob, please let us know the damage & where to get it done. thx...p/s: wondering if this prob affect only the e60 or other models with active steering as well?

hi richard..

hope u find a solution for the prob soon.my car is still behaving in that department,no ticking or judder.would be interesting to see what the findings will be,cuz the prob could appear on my car as well.

talking about Active Steering,i've been experiencing a very peculiar behaviour with the car's steering when driving on the highway.there seems to be some steering wander occasionally,doesn't happen all the time tho..most of time,the steering feels fine,very steady during moderate to high speed highway driving but occasionally,i get this strange sensation from the steering as if its making very slight and minute adjustments on its own without my input.it is so irritating cuz what u end up with is a car that feels nervous and unsteady,requiring more than normal concentration.

some say its because my tyres are wide,running 245/35-19 thus there will be a fair bit of 'tracking',but i don't buy it.this is because it only happens occasionally,where most of the time its as steady as a rock on the same road and temp/wind conditions.. very peculiar,and unsettling when it happens.

hence my suspicions as far as Active Steering is concerned..

ess530i;348344 said:
ok i've had enough of this problem and need a solution fast...heard from several other e60 owners they face the same problem as well. checked with a few workshop they gave different explanation:

1. bearing no oil
2. whole steering rack need to change
3. active steering motor problem & etc

none could give me a fixed price for the repair. anyone with similar prob pls list down your names here. then we may try to get a fixed quote / group discount from a qualified workshop. for those who have fixed their prob, please let us know the damage & where to get it done. thx...

p/s: wondering if this prob affect only the e60 or other models with active steering as well?

Hi, mine has the same problem as well, quoted RM 7k to change the entire steering rack + active steering motor.

But workshop ppl advice me to drive till fault lights up or steering rack goes very heavy.

Is the ticking noise sound is intermittent or permanent?? while driving or stationery??

wllchan;348367 said:
Is the ticking noise sound is intermittent or permanent?? while driving or stationery??

the noise is permanent while driving & stationary as long as when turning. the location of the 'tick' is also fixed, whenever i turn my steering to the right for example it will 'tick' at say 15 & 20degrees angle

Lancelot Adolph;348364 said:
Hi, mine has the same problem as well, quoted RM 7k to change the entire steering rack + active steering motor.

But workshop ppl advice me to drive till fault lights up or steering rack goes very heavy.

i believe RM7k is for used/recon steering rack + active steering motor? i hv been quoted around the same as well but strongly think that it is unnecessary to replace the entire unit as our car is not that old yet, could be some minor mechanical failure which someone out there can fix for us for a small fee. i think it will take a very long time for the 'fault lights up or steering rack goes very heavy'

supergripen;348347 said:
hi richard..

hope u find a solution for the prob soon.my car is still behaving in that department,no ticking or judder.would be interesting to see what the findings will be,cuz the prob could appear on my car as well.

talking about Active Steering,i've been experiencing a very peculiar behaviour with the car's steering when driving on the highway.there seems to be some steering wander occasionally,doesn't happen all the time tho..most of time,the steering feels fine,very steady during moderate to high speed highway driving but occasionally,i get this strange sensation from the steering as if its making very slight and minute adjustments on its own without my input.it is so irritating cuz what u end up with is a car that feels nervous and unsteady,requiring more than normal concentration.

some say its because my tyres are wide,running 245/35-19 thus there will be a fair bit of 'tracking',but i don't buy it.this is because it only happens occasionally,where most of the time its as steady as a rock on the same road and temp/wind conditions.. very peculiar,and unsettling when it happens.

hence my suspicions as far as Active Steering is concerned..

hey super....i thought i had similar experience as yours when i got the car but was ok after replacing my japan dunlops which had very 'squared' sidewalls and doing alignment / camber adjustments. replaced them with CSC2's which had 'rounder' side walls which solved the 'tracking' problem almost entirely. am on csc2 now on 18's staggered and still no 'tracking' problem. so you may wanna check on your alignment / cambers and see if your tires have very 'squared' side walls which could be the root cause to your problem. you know la...malaysian roads are so unpredictable u cant even see where its uneven sometimes...

BTW, not sure if we can remove our active steering feature and whether dat could help solve the steering ticking sound prob? will check with my mechanics...

i'n on CSC3s right now,which is standard fit on M5s and M6s if i'm not mistaken..so it can't be the tyres.which leaves me with alignment/camber/castor issues la..will have a look when i have time.

ess530i;348433 said:
the noise is permanent while driving & stationary as long as when turning. the location of the 'tick' is also fixed, whenever i turn my steering to the right for example it will 'tick' at say 15 & 20degrees angle

My car does exactly the same thing. Did you get to the bottom of what was causing the ticks? If so what was the solution?

Thanks

my car also having same problem.. foreman come help me do some steering capping..
sound go less.. have to redo again.. i also wonder what is the steering caping stuff..its free becuase still warranty from workshop

haydar;412356 said:
My car does exactly the same thing. Did you get to the bottom of what was causing the ticks? If so what was the solution?

Thanks

no solution yet and i sure hope someone could come out with an economical solution soon. maybe we need to wait for another 10 years for the cost of maintainence of an e60 to go down...thats when the mechanics think that anyone drive an e60 is a poor man

Do you find your steering is not completely centered? How does one get it centered?

Regards

i sent my car for repair this steeringticking noise.. foreman quoted me rm4k +++ for recond unit to replace
this is the 3rd day my car havent done.. too bad

Hi klchong73

May I know:
1) how much $$$ you solve the ticking sound
2) where you do it?
3) what u've changed?

Many thx

foreman told me i replace the steering whole sub...
it cost4k++ my foreman from cheras desa tun razak

E60 Msport. I have the same problem. I brought to the workshop. The foreman said it was the aircond fan. Turned off aircond no ticking sound. Turn on aircond got ticking sound. Haven't replaced the aircond fan yet, going to check other places first.

Not sure if it is the same with u guys.

Top Bottom