E60 Shock Absorbers

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Grand

Club Guest
Hi all, thinking of changing the shocks for my stock E60 this weekend. Can't stand the floaty feeling especially the front shocks. A quick look thru the wheel arch also shows that the rubber dampener/boost of the shocks have worn out. I think original is Boge. Read thru some threads and gathered good comments about Bilstein. As I am more into comfort, I think Bilstein B4 (black) would be quite sufficient. Called a few shops including Munich Auto, Bavarian Auto and Bomin Auto but was surprised that only Munich sells Bilstein. Both Bavarian and Bomin can only offer me Boge shocks and between Bavarian and Bomin, the price quoted by the former is cheaper. Not really into performance shocks like coilover although I read interesting comments about them both here and in the Singapore forum. Would appreciate help and opinion as I am going to change it this weekend. :wink:

That's exactly what I am trying to find out from any forumners here who has changed their shocks. I am still in the process of getting the finer details of the pricing including all the cover, mounting and dampener. Mine is a E60 520i. Was wondering should I just changed back to Boge since quite a number of the 'established' spare parts shops are only selling them instead of Bilstein.

From your posts, have you placed your booking for the 2006 Msport and when is the delivery date? I bet you can't wait to lay your hand on the beauty right?:top:

i have been dreaming that i drive the beauty white bimmer every nite...become crazy now...cant wait no more, but found that Naza selling cheaper then i...pressing balls rite now !

Hi all, just let my mechanic checked the car by hoisting it up and driving around uneven roads with speed breaker. Was told that the rear absorbers are still good. However there is slight leaking for the front shocks as well as little free play for the front wheels. So he suggested that I change the front absorbers and front upper arm bush. Quoted RM635.00 x 2 for both front absorbers (Bilstein black) including bush, cover and mounting and RM450.00 for the upper arm bush (claimed to be original). Prices include labour and require 1/2 day to complete.

I managed to dig up 2 previous threads by r37720 both in March 2008 and Dec 2009 where he changed his absorbers at RM650.00 each and RM850.00 each (this one r37720 claimed kena conned) respectively.

Which means I will have 2 new Bilstein in front and old Boge (but still good) at the rear. Do you guys think it is ok?

If both suspensions are same or slightly different in terms of comfort level, then you should have no problem with the ride. But I will always suggest that you use 4 shock absorbers of the same brand.

Changed mine to Bilstein B4. I reckon B8 would be rather hard and harsh for me. The new B4 is firmer than the original suspension (should be boge) and felt more stable and sure footed now. Of course have to take into consideration that I am comparing the new B4 with the ori suspension which were already very lembik. However after changing to the new and firmer abs, now can hear new little sound coming from the chasis and suspension area :burnout: But now the car no longer rides low even when fully loaded.

Grand;556494 said:
Changed mine to Bilstein B4. I reckon B8 would be rather hard and harsh for me. The new B4 is firmer than the original suspension (should be boge) and felt more stable and sure footed now. Of course have to take into consideration that I am comparing the new B4 with the ori suspension which were already very lembik. However after changing to the new and firmer abs, now can hear new little sound coming from the chasis and suspension area :burnout: But now the car no longer rides low even when fully loaded.

You using bilstein b4 with stock spring or sport spring?

Top Bottom