e60 - No coolant level indicator

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

dnhoh

Club Guest
Hi folks,Just wanted to share a bad experience with everyone.Despite all the technology in the car which can tell you all sorts of things including when your exhaust system needs to be changes (2012!), the e60 does NOT have a coolant indicator which even my 22 year old e30 has!! This is compounded by the fact that the car does not have a temperature gauge!Was driving interstate with the family recently and the screen flashed a warning that engine temperature was hot and within 30 seconds, the screen says that my engine has overheated and to stop immediately! What sort of warning is 30 seconds?!!It happened again a few weeks later despite an official service centre confirming there was no coolant leak.Over RM400k of a car and it doesnt even half a bloody temperature gauge to give sufficient warning. If BMW was going to put in all this bloody technology, they should at least be able to provide more warning the 30 bloody seconds!!I love BMWs but these 2 incidents with the family in the car is making me think twice on when I buy may next car.

dnhoh;524919 said:
Hi folks,

Just wanted to share a bad experience with everyone.

Despite all the technology in the car which can tell you all sorts of things including when your exhaust system needs to be changes (2012!), the e60 does NOT have a coolant indicator which even my 22 year old e30 has!!

This is compounded by the fact that the car does not have a temperature gauge!

Was driving interstate with the family recently and the screen flashed a warning that engine temperature was hot and within 30 seconds, the screen says that my engine has overheated and to stop immediately! What sort of warning is 30 seconds?!!

It happened again a few weeks later despite an official service centre confirming there was no coolant leak.

Over RM400k of a car and it doesnt even half a bloody temperature gauge to give sufficient warning. If BMW was going to put in all this bloody technology, they should at least be able to provide more warning the 30 bloody seconds!!

I love BMWs but these 2 incidents with the family in the car is making me think twice on when I buy may next car.

I haven't experienced overheating yet (new car, 323i LCI), but I get what you mean. The temperature gauge is very useful, our old car before the 323i, the E36 325i had it and it overheated twice and we knew when to stop. But the new 323i doesn't even have the temperature gauge! What a bad thought from BMW. For the 3-series, only the 335i has it in place of the fuel consumption gauge.

P.S. Even our old 240GL has a temp. gauge.

Quite a cultural shock I believe for most of us motorheads. No temperature gauge, no engine oil dipstick, no transmission oil dipstick, and I have read more false alarm than anything from these high tech stuffs.

I think the F10 has reintroduce the temp gauge while seeing a dipstick in the X1 was quite a relief knowing the design engineer acknowledges the importance of these gauges... :p

i'm thinking of adding a water temp gauge...i have the same phobia...

i did add one for my former toyota wish which also didn't have water temp gauge.

I think the F10 has reintroduce the temp gauge while seeing a dipstick in the X1 was quite a relief knowing the design engineer acknowledges the importance of these gauges...
ma3.jpg

ma1.jpg

ma2.jpg

looks like my next upgrade I will have to go for F10 rather then E60..if i ever do as I am enjoying my E39 to bits so far.

U mean u didn't know this before purchasing the car? That the car didn't have the gauges?

Sorry for the interruption I think engine oil temperature gauge at the rmp side but only for E60.By the way if I not mistaken coolant temperature will reflect engine oil temperature also. So if engine oil getting hot sure the coolant also will boil to certain degree.Just my 1 cent

Top Bottom