e60 M-Sports - how to tell?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

c-square

Club Guest
How do you tell whether an e60 M-Sports is originally M-sports and not those normal ones that has been tinkered with and converted into M-sports?

Look at the seats. You can change the bodykit and steering wheel but the sport seats cost a bomb, hence most wouldn't do it. But to be 100% sure, look at the registration card.

Get help from anyone or any workshop who has the acces to ASAP. U need to have the VIN. It will gives u all the equipment and options when it is roll out from the factory. Good Luck.

.. best go check out a real M-Sport, even try driving one just to compare. The M-Sport suspension is sweet which include the anti roll bar, missing this means you will miss out a lot the super sweet handling of a real M-Sport.

It can also be the case where you are looking a a real M-Sport but with original M-Sport part swapped out with standard ones.. :eek:

c-square;424426 said:
Unker, what plastic trim?

On e46, the trim along the top of the window (front and rear) is made of plastic for M-sport. Non M-sport are usually chrome. i heard the plastic trim cost about RM1700 per side. That why nobody change it.

but the sure way of checking is via the VIN number.

Ya one external tell tale sign is the window trims. Its not just plastic but high gloss black plastic which includes the black trims around the wing mirror. Most 2nd hand parallel importers cut corners and put on matte black window trims to match the original non M sport wing mirror trims. The 100% M sport comes with full gloss trims all round.

Very easy, just look at the overhead liner. M-Sport comes with Black color only. Overhead liner cost $$$ to replace and time consuming, 2nd dealer wont do it.

Apart from that, the steering wheel, step plate bears the ///M logo as well.

Yep! I agree with the overhead roof lining.. :top: You can't go wrong with solid black lining!

I have a question, I have booked a 2005 Japan spec 525i M-sport.

Went to see the car today, it has got the M-suspension, bucket seat, aluminium interior panel, m-steering and door sill.
everything that you expect to see from a M-sport version except the roof lining or door lining as mentioned.

It does not come in gloss black but normal matte black! I have asked the dealer, they say this is definitely a M-sport but some versions don't come with gloss black lining. Can someone confirm this?

stevtan;445461 said:

Went to see the car today, it has got the M-suspension, bucket seat, aluminium interior panel, m-steering and door sill.
everything that you expect to see from a M-sport version except the roof lining or door lining as mentioned.

It does not come in gloss black but normal matte black! I have asked the dealer, they say this is definitely a M-sport but some versions don't come with gloss black lining. Can someone confirm this?

probably they started the screwing in Japan itself....I can understand your predicament man.You are paying for it and they maybe trying to rip you off.It's a different story altogether if you are trying to convert it yourself...honesty doesn't exist in some people's vocabulary man.

stevtan;445461 said:

I can confirm this 100%.

I just recently sold my 2006 525i M-Sport (which i bought from Auto Bavaria brand new in mar 06) and it has matte black window trims.

The LCI's of 2008 onwards come with Glossy black window trim as far as the local cars are concerned. I dont know bout imported ones.

But yes, mine was a local 2006 CKD 525i Sport and it came with matte black window trims.

thanks kenny for your assurance. now i feel much better after you confirm it's m-sport. Heh heh.... now all i do is sit and wait happily for my car which I should be getting by next week. *heh heh*
CHEERS BRO!

Top Bottom