E60 engine oil went down to LOW!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

maverick00

Club Guest
Calling E60 owners....especially 2006 model without dip-stick. On Saturday I experienced a sudden loss in engine oil. Warning light came on saying engine oil is low, please add 1 litre.:eek: There's no leakage whatsoever. Does it get evaporated or eaten up? Has anyone experienced such a problem? Please share.:confused: AB salesman said it is normal bcoz the the oil viscosity is too thin. Still I don't find any reason for the oil to disappear.:mad:

thinner oil does get combusted and that's normal... What oil are you using?

Maverick

How old is your car ? mine is about 3 months old now, and have clocked about 8700km. During the car handover, i was told that eventually i will have to top up the engine oil.

Hi fabian and M5port,

My car is 3 months old too. Clocked about 11,000km (i just love driving)...since it is a new car, the oil is a fully syn Shell Helix (gray bottle).

Getting combusted is fine but don't tell me this is gonna be a normal fixture. My previous cars no such problem leh. I find it abit odd.

i not sure about N series engine but the M54 i have does burn oil when they are below 15,000km on the clock, after that it works nicely.

maverick00 said:
Calling E60 owners....especially 2006 model without dip-stick. On Saturday I experienced a sudden loss in engine oil. Warning light came on saying engine oil is low, please add 1 litre.:eek:

no dip-stick?:eek:

how came..............:confused:

joe_myinc said:
no dip-stick?:eek:

how came..............:confused:

All 2006 models got no dip stick my friend...thats the beauty. All controlled from i-drive ie. brake pads, micro-filter...everything! It also comes with push start button.

All car burns oil anyway.

Didn't know it happens to the newer engines. On M54 520 in particular, it happens but not all 520. I had it at around 8000km, and no more after that. A friend had it at 8000km and again around 16000km and no more after that.

maverick00 said:
Calling E60 owners....especially 2006 model without dip-stick. On Saturday I experienced a sudden loss in engine oil. Warning light came on saying engine oil is low, please add 1 litre.:eek:

There's no leakage whatsoever. Does it get evaporated or eaten up? Has anyone experienced such a problem? Please share.:confused:

AB salesman said it is normal bcoz the the oil viscosity is too thin. Still I don't find any reason for the oil to disappear.:mad:

maverick00,

I had this problem initially on my e60. But alls fine now. If you have to service your car only once a year, wouldn't you expect to lose some engine oil, especially if you are a frequent road user.

Cheers

xcell60 said:
maverick00,

I had this problem initially on my e60. But alls fine now. If you have to service your car only once a year, wouldn't you expect to lose some engine oil, especially if you are a frequent road user.

Cheers

True but mine only 3 months.....mileage aside of course. Anyway, will get AB to explain to me.

bro not very sure with e60 but i think you should not just assume that the engine oil is evaporating, its low in viscocity and its normal... better to take it to AB and get it checked, diognosed and rectified rather than tryin... it may end up in a larger cost if you drag on mate... imagine if there is a defect in the oil seal or rings that is causing the whole issue...

just my opinion mate...

Loosing engine oil is common. Its more apparent in the M5's especially the new E60M5. So no worries.

AnGeLiCdEmOn108 said:
bro not very sure with e60 but i think you should not just assume that the engine oil is evaporating, its low in viscocity and its normal... better to take it to AB and get it checked, diognosed and rectified rather than tryin... it may end up in a larger cost if you drag on mate... imagine if there is a defect in the oil seal or rings that is causing the whole issue...

just my opinion mate...

Thanks for your concern mate.....I've called them up but apparently its normal....no time to get further clarification but will definitely pay them a visit to get a proper explanation.

I had to top up 1 litre after owning mine for 6 months. There is a period of breaking in your car to driving style and frequency of usage. Oil leaks arehard to detect coz the E60 undercarriage is sealed. Unfortunate that yours doesn't come with a dip stick.

Did it suddenly come low or gradually? Do you check your oil at least once a week? Did you adhere to the break-in procedure?

Its normal for our cars to consume some oil as the engine settles in especially with low viscosity synthetic oil. My service advisor added that this is also due to oil reaching/lubricating hard to reach spots etc. on top of the normal evaporation/combustion. Besides 1l is not bad at 11,000 km.

For what it's worth my N52 engine demanded a 3/4qt top up a little before reaching the 4 month/5k miles point. I brought the car in for a warranty issue and asked them to top it up and also check for error codes. Everything was within BMW specs. The SA mentioned about 1 qt every 12k miles is alright.

On another note, some folks believe that improper break-in also leads to higher oil consumption?

Btw, are you guys doing an early oil change or going by the service monitor? I believe, as per BMW scheduling, 1st oil change should come up at about 15-17k miles. My OBC tells me another 14k miles!! :eek: I'd probably do an oil change halfway at 7,5k miles. Also ow much does AB charge for oil change? Do new Bimmers from AB come with free scheduled maintenance?

xcell60 said:
Unfortunate that yours doesn't come with a dip stick.

Its not that bad...the oil monitor shows us the level of the oil anytime we need to know. Actually, only the top/last 1qt is measured by the oil monitor system. The monitor only display reading once optimal that is why it takes more than 10 mins of driving from start-up to register oil levels.

About the only thing I miss with this system is the ability to see the oil. Sometimes and as a matter of habit, an owner would want to see the oil's color or feel the condition of the oil to determine status of oil.

cars bought after march 06 i think comes with the 3 yrs or 60,000 km service and parts maintenance. all the service and maintenance (oil change, brake pads, etc , but not top ups) are to be done according to schedule in the OBC , you can't send the car there as when u like.

Top Bottom