E60 520i quality problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

kiapeng

Club Guest
3 weeks after taking delivery of my new E60 520i, the car starts giving squeaking sound from both sides of door/window pamel.AB advised to change rubber seals that could probably solve the problem. But I am talking 3 weeks old car here ?! Anyone sharing same problem ?

Certainly very worrying. Insist that the dealer fixes it completely. I read in BMW mag that since BMW makes the newer cars with much narrower gaps between the panels, the challenge in supressing sounds from close contact is more difficult. So, I would not be surpised by rubber or plastic squeaks. But BMW has ways to eliminate the noise. apply some liquid treatment or whatever, their "Sound Elimination" team seems to be the best in the industry.

Let us know how this turns out.

:blush:

B) er.... :blush: sorry ah..I can't afford to buy the E60 la. but a reliable source told me to be careful with the DME( control Unit) ah...its a good car but just in case lor...

sorry for being busy body ah... :)

you shud've taken the 525i.. :) B)

CBU or CKD?

CBU- terrible! Definitely kick up a big fuss and demand a solution!

CKD- well (sorry to sound snobish here), but what do you expect from something that's assembled in good 'ole Malaysia? Or South Africa, for that matter.

It is a well known fact that only the "aspirational" models are assembled in the lower cost countries (ie. Malaysia, SA, USA, etc.) to enable aspirational owners to get on the first rung of BMW ownership (and financial ruin).

You gets whats you pays for.

hahah not only you are experiencing problems with the E60 520 man

The airbag light keeps coming out and i have sent it back to AB and it's been like 3 weeks now and they still haven't given me any positive feedback on it yet.....replacement car sux to the max, imagine giving an E30 to an E60 owner till i kicked up a fuss and yesterday they gave me a e46 318

Also, the wind noise coming from the driver's side of the door is scaring the hell out of me. Above 80km/h, there's also some creaking noise coming in from the window, not sure from the passenger or drivers front though....

Contemplating to get the W211 E200K now...
WTF!!!!! :angry:

I heard of it ...

My friends e60 520 got a jerking problem . Cant solve more than a month . Car lying in AB ...

shites :p :angry:

Originally posted by The Necessary@May 13 2005, 12:24 AM
CBU or CKD?

CBU- terrible! Definitely kick up a big fuss and demand a solution!

CKD- well (sorry to sound snobish here), but what do you expect from something that's assembled in good 'ole Malaysia? Or South Africa, for that matter.

It is a well known fact that only the "aspirational" models are assembled in the lower cost countries (ie. Malaysia, SA, USA, etc.) to enable aspirational owners to get on the first rung of BMW ownership (and financial ruin).

You gets whats you pays for.
when you paid RM337K for a car, regardless whether is CBU or CKD, you do not expect sqeaking sound after 2 weeks, some more we are talking about BMW here !

AB has booked my car in on 20 May and I am eager to see if they can solve the problem, they claim that they will change all window/rubber rubber seal.

In the mean time, I have sent a "love" note to Mr WS of BMW Malaysia about it

Originally posted by kiapeng@May 12 2005, 11:11 PM
3 weeks after taking delivery of my new E60 520i, the car starts giving squeaking sound from both sides of door/window pamel.

AB advised to change rubber seals that could probably solve the problem. But I am talking 3 weeks old car here ?! Anyone sharing same problem ?
This is a known problems dated back to E39 days as well. It doesn't happen to all cars.

BMW has come up with a new door seal that solves this problem.

To confirm what you experience is what I am talking about, just lower your windows by say a couple mm. If the squeaking is gone, then we are on the same page.

Then try this: Get a bottle of Armour All leather care. Apply generously and massage it into the felt material along the door frames. The squeaking should be gone in no time.

Already get my E60 525 for 2 days.

Problem start today. Driver seat the electric seat not working then notice the cable losen.

When stop my car apply to P when move the gear towards R to P some funny sound come out.

Imagine 2 days car

I- Drive very slow in respond

Jeez, an E30 courtesy car for a 520. My friend's boss got a Z4 when his 525 went in. As nice as it was, Imagine his drebar driving him round for 2 days in that.

Originally posted by Stranger@May 20 2005, 10:05 PM
Then try this: Get a bottle of Armour All leather care. Apply generously and massage it into the felt material along the door frames. The squeaking should be gone in no time.
This treatment works on my 10 year old E36 too. Only that I use WD40. :D

Originally posted by Stranger@May 20 2005, 10:06 PM
Err... you will be surprised; I am sorry to tell you that you may face even more little problems later.
Hee hee, my company's E60 520i keep having a problem with its CD changer. The CD changer keeps hanging and refuses to function. Only solution have to take to AB to reset. Problem is this has to be done every 2 weeks. Shades of Windows Protection Error or blue screen of death. :D WTF... better not to play the CD changer at all. :angry:

got my car back yesterday, brought some colleagues 2 Sui Hang restaurant near Royal Selangor Golf Club for lunch. On the way, tested my car (i.e. tried to hear for any wind noise and creaks). Overall, ride quality and all is quite okay & up to mark until a female colleague suddenly said, Eeeee what is this??

Then I saw a dark grease stain on the passenger seat. Damn! must have been those foreman's doing. Sheesh!! Now she's gonna have an impression that I'm an obnoxious kinda person. hehehehe

Apparently, it's the rubber hose and lining at the side of the door giving way . The reason for this(as claimed) is due to the new rubber material. IMO it's just the local assembly plant workers not being serious enough to fit it properly. The long time taken was due to the faulty sensor for the rear right side passenger head airbag. They had to remove the engine and run some diagnostic programme to rectify this and it took them weeks.....
They also advised against closing the doors hard as the solution for the lining needs time to settle down.

btw, my car is a CKD version. Guess I shouldn't have waited and buy the CBU instead at RM 370k.

wkw69, did ur friend's boss had to pay extra for the Z4??? Was it a cartrade or AB car??? LOL i wouldn't mind them giving me a Z4 too. then I'll just become more fussy and complain this and that until god knows when.... LOL. Imagine getting an M5 for a replacement car, that would b real sweet....

No extra payment. I think he would have preferred an E39. It was AB. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that the boss is the MD of a major OEM supplier to cae manufacturers and hence, a fellow industry man to AB.

It is a known FACT that E60 has lots of quality problems till today especially 520i. Noisy and sequezzing interior plastic panels including dashboard, stalled car along roadside, etc .... more problems to come later and enjoy it while you still can!

If you know the salesmen, mechanics or branch manager, they will tell you to stay away from buying a 520i as I was told by them earlier on. But to most people, they do not care as they want to earn your money too.

Why are the problems confined to 520i? Issit coz demand is so strong, the assemblers are doing a rushed job on production? I'm getting quite disgusted reading about this cos if the assemblers haven't improved, you can expect the same problems when demand for E90 CKDs stack up....

Originally posted by Stranger@May 20 2005, 09:05 AM
This is a known problems dated back to E39 days as well. It doesn't happen to all cars.

BMW has come up with a new door seal that solves this problem.

To confirm what you experience is what I am talking about, just lower your windows by say a couple mm. If the squeaking is gone, then we are on the same page.

[/quote]
I tried to lower down the window a little bit as you suggested, the sound seems to go away, but I am not going to apply the leather care since I am sending in my car shortly for them fo change the rubber seal. Let's see if they can fix the problem.

When you said to massage the leather care into the felt material, are you referring those rubber seal along the window panel only ?

Originally posted by krazer@May 21 2005, 10:00 AM
Apparently, it's the rubber hose and lining at the side of the door giving way . The reason for this(as claimed) is due to the new rubber material. IMO it's just the local assembly plant workers not being serious enough to fit it properly.

They also advised against closing the doors hard as the solution for the lining needs time to settle down.
krazer,

does the sound problem go away ? I am sending my car into AB in a few days time for the same problem.

How long you have to wait before you can close your door hard ?

yup it's silent now. But I am still driving my car without the stereo on whenever possible to make sure that this is gonna be a permanent job.

It's recommended to close the doors as though u close it with vacuum suction(like in the mercs). In a way you should only apply force when it's going to close. Do not slam it hard in style..... :D

No specific time given as to when but i shall try my best be gentle when closing them

Top Bottom