E46 Control Arms - Availability, Choices and Prices. Feedback required

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

wingzee

Club Guest
Been surveying the market for control arms as mine is due for change (not faulty yet but mileage-wise suggested it's good to change) and found out that local markets are mostly stocked with Lemforder, TRW and Vemo brands. BA do bring in Meyle ones occasionally (according to them) but most of the time they only carry Lemforder. Made a call to Suan Huat and was informed of the same too.Prices for Lemforder ones are RM400-420 each.Have not called up Inner Power, Bomin and Munich Auto yet though.Have did some reading in other oversea forums and concluded that Meyle ones are the popular ones due to its HD (heavy-duty) quality and is equivalent to OEM ZHP or M-Sport, which should have stronger balljoints compared to normal ones. But problem is it's kinda rare over here and have not found anyone stocking them so far.This video explains the difference between Meyle CA/CABs vs other OEM brands:[video=youtube;S6wTXQCXRNM]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6wTXQCXRNM[/video]Bumped across this quote back in 2008 in one of the thread.
guyfriendx;587055]For the sake of information for BMW friends said:
Have anyone came accross Meyle control arms or been using them? And are they similar to the below?Photo attached as reference. Credits to http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=421918
DSCF0056.jpg
DSCF0052.jpg
DSCF0052.jpg
DSCF0053.jpg
DSCF0054.jpg

Vincent Hor;825446 said:
For Meyle products please check with Kem 03-62519816 of First Division at Ipoh Road.

Many thanks uncle Vincent! Gonna check with him tomorrow. :)

Just called First Division. RM385 per set. Gonna do a review later once got them installed.

Wz, what other parts would be recommended to be changed together with the control arm?

gendong;825571 said:
Wz, what other parts would be recommended to be changed together with the control arm?

Err normally just the control arm bushes I think. But good to check other front axle bushings and parts as well. Our car old car lah. :p

I have done the following at the prices below :-

Right Control Arm = 460
Left Control Arm = 460
Arm Bush = 280
Alignment = 50
Labour = 160
Tax *12.60

I just when to shop to do my alignment but they said my wheel got lot of free play and need to change the control arms 1st. He use his hand move the wheel n show me the free play on both side. Do I need to change it or might be other part that cause this problem. If yes then I will go first division to buy one.

wsonny;828335 said:
I just when to shop to do my alignment but they said my wheel got lot of free play and need to change the control arms 1st. He use his hand move the wheel n show me the free play on both side. Do I need to change it or might be other part that cause this problem. If yes then I will go first division to buy one.

Free play can be caused by tie rod, lower arms or lower arm bush. Check these first.

Changed mine a few days ago. Went for Superpro bush. Control arms got the brand 'Febi by Bilstein'. Not sure its good or not. Since its brand new, good enuff for me. Hahahahah... Control arm cost RM395/pc n the Superpro bush cost RM700++ which brings the total cost plus the workmanship RM1630. Did at Hokomotor Batu Caves.

I think meyle's ball joint can be change. So you just buy the ball joint when its due as well as the arm bush.. Not sure about bilstein's tho..

@Shafique:
Ohh didn't know Febi OEM for control arms too. They almost OEM for every E46 parts then. :D Superpro the last I asked cost RM500.

@Amoi:
Yea moi that's the best advantage of Meyle control arms. But not sure if these ball joints are available locally.

Dear All,

Has anyone changed lower arm using Meyle brand. I ve checked with First Division in Jln Ipoh cost RM390 per unit (1 side). Having read in website, product is from Germany....how good it is compared to lemforder and handling feels. Price does make a different.

SB

I have used Meyle beofre and it did not last and have since reverted to Lemforder.

Top Bottom