E46 Ci

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

jazz1011

Club Guest
Hi All,I have been following this forum for more than 2-years now and I must say that the information available herein are top-notch and extremely useful - compliments of the many knowledgeable BMW owners and other forummers alike whom are always around to provide the best advice.As I have been harping on the idea of getting my first Bimmer since a few years ago, I believe my time has finally arrived for me to make the decision - I shall be getting it now. While many would say if you don't want too much of hassle and think too much about "re-servicing" the car - go get a new Bimmer. But then again, how many of us could afford a brand new one, right? I wouldn't mind a recon unit though.I am interested to get the Coupe (Ci) version of the E46. Now, I am aware however that getting a Ci could prove to be a lot tougher than getting the Sedan version as there aren't many around. And not to mention the engine capacity choices are rather limited too. In Malaysia, it seems for the Ci, they either bring in the smallest cc (318Ci) or the big brother (330Ci). While I would love to have either a 320Ci or 325Ci, I think it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. Having said that, I wouldn't mind going for the 330Ci - but perhaps could any of you here enlighten me of the roadtax for the 330?I have read here in this forum that many agreed that one would never go wrong with the 3-litre. Well, maybe I might go just for that.I would also like your opinions on which recommended workshops should I bring the car to for servicing. Setting aside the different charges of different workshops, - and also the good & bad things that fellow owners have experienced at various workshops - I would still like to hear the opinions of the regulars here. Please bear in mind there is no right or wrong opinions as I am the one who is asking - so please feel free to give me your "recommendations". Yes - I have read the stickies on the list of BMW workshops around town but I'd still like to hear your "personal recommendations" - if you may be so kind to help and assist.Thanking all of you in advance.

Bro,

I was in the same dillema as you.

I reckon for the CI you would have a better chance getting a good condition unit, as many of them are well kept and weekend cars compare to the 4 dr version.

as what you were saying, depending on what you want. I am driving the 320ci , 2.2 , 6 cyl . no problem finding.

for me, i initially wanted the 318 but opt for the 320 instead. i find that you should either get the 318 if power is not your concern as maintenance will be cheaper. if you want power, go for the 330. In between 318 and 330 , dont bother looking, why because maintenance is high and the power is so so only. Not a big wow factor, consider you dont get the 600 rebate, and you use 7 liters of oil for our 6 cyl cars.

the 325ci is the best of the lot..good balance between fuel economy and power...dont get the 318ci as you will regret it..the 330ci is the best in power and will always put a smile on your face...the fuel consumption is of course higher...

320ci is the lowest engine size you should consider...fairly ok power for 2.2 litre (170 bhp)

happy hunting and hope u find the right one

Thanks for your opinion, bro.

The reason (well, I guess this is the one-and-only reason) why I decide not to opt for the 318 is because I have read that the N42 engine is rather sensitive & problematic compared to the others. At least this was what I have in the many threads here.

Like I said, I most prefer a 320 or 325 compared to the 330 (don't really need that much power anyway) - but I'll have a tough time finding them. Still hunting though.

All-in-all, thanks for your opinion.

RM2200+ isn't that bad. Much better than RM4K+ of a 350Z though.

I could live with it ... Thanks

That's even better :1:

Perhaps could anyone be so kind as to recommend a few workshops which I may bring the car to for servicing later on? I know there's a long list of workshops to go in the Sticky Thread but I'd love to hear your "personal recommendations" - if you may.

Thanks

jazz1011;433158 said:
Thanks for your opinion, bro.

The reason (well, I guess this is the one-and-only reason) why I decide not to opt for the 318 is because I have read that the N42 engine is rather sensitive & problematic compared to the others. At least this was what I have in the many threads here.

Like I said, I most prefer a 320 or 325 compared to the 330 (don't really need that much power anyway) - but I'll have a tough time finding them. Still hunting though.

All-in-all, thanks for your opinion.

I beg to differ dear sir...

Been having my ride for almost 7 years now... yup an E46 318Ci.

NO problems on the engine at all. Good fuel consumption.

POWER? Well... this is really subjective and relative to your driving standards, skills, and most of all... NEEDS.

Come on over to our Ampang TTs [check out the thread] for a tour of the wild side, there is another Club member with a similar ride.

Good luck on your hunt though...

BlackCat

Thanks for the warm invitation.

It's great to hear that the 318i's engine isn't that bad after all. I do have intention of getting the 318 but it's just that I have read the many threads here that most owners say the N42 is rather sensitive while the former M43 is as solid as a rock.

All-in-all, I do look forward to learning more. Thanks.

jazz1011;433685 said:
Thanks for the warm invitation.

It's great to hear that the 318i's engine isn't that bad after all. I do have intention of getting the 318 but it's just that I have read the many threads here that most owners say the N42 is rather sensitive while the former M43 is as solid as a rock.

All-in-all, I do look forward to learning more. Thanks.

I have the M43 :top::top::top:

How about 323ci? does anyone know about it? is it easy to get the spare part?

BMW9700;433157 said:
the 325ci is the best of the lot..good balance between fuel economy and power...dont get the 318ci as you will regret it..the 330ci is the best in power and will always put a smile on your face...the fuel consumption is of course higher...

320ci is the lowest engine size you should consider...fairly ok power for 2.2 litre (170 bhp)

happy hunting and hope u find the right one

hee

Im using N42 ci engine.. the engine having no problem at all after using it for more than 2 years..feul consumption superb, like our fren said depends on your driving skill...i always keep my engine clean, and maintained it step by step..service up to date, not even 1km over due..yes it is true 318 engine is under power but i only agree underpower for 1.9 engine not the 2.0 valvetronic engine..the 2.0 valvetronic engine if u add some minor modification such as response for example the throtle response sprint booster and CAI intake it only cost a few penny and u still can feel the response the torque..and again still save the petrol..yet now, i tried to test side by side with my N42 2.0L and my frenz 320 2.2 L .. torque for N42 is better only comes at the top speed after 160km/jhwhere the 2.2 more smoother and balanced. But how far u want to speed on the road? I drive my N42 180km/h on highway north south and the car still balanced, engine still smooth no screaming at all..if u drive 330 ci or M3 are you going to drive more than 220km/h on motorway???? but how long u can stay more than 220km/h on the motorway? no chance bro...only few km less than 3 minutes i guess...

laneza;475358 said:
Im using N42 ci engine.. the engine having no problem at all after using it for more than 2 years..feul consumption superb, like our fren said depends on your driving skill...i always keep my engine clean, and maintained it step by step..service up to date, not even 1km over due..yes it is true 318 engine is under power but i only agree underpower for 1.9 engine not the 2.0 valvetronic engine..the 2.0 valvetronic engine if u add some minor modification such as response for example the throtle response sprint booster and CAI intake it only cost a few penny and u still can feel the response the torque..and again still save the petrol..yet now, i tried to test side by side with my N42 2.0L and my frenz 320 2.2 L .. torque for N42 is better only comes at the top speed after 160km/jhwhere the 2.2 more smoother and balanced. But how far u want to speed on the road? I drive my N42 180km/h on highway north south and the car still balanced, engine still smooth no screaming at all..if u drive 330 ci or M3 are you going to drive more than 220km/h on motorway???? but how long u can stay more than 220km/h on the motorway? no chance bro...only few km less than 3 minutes i guess...

It's not only about about the top speed bro it's more than that :D Effortless driving, the low end torque, the sound of the double VANOS opening up on a 3.0 engine, the mid range power and so much more :love: :top:
it still gives me a big smile when i'm on the highway and always look forward to long journeys :D

Of course if you wanna play you gotta pay lah :listen: The parts for a 330 is more expensive than a 325 and so on. For M3 is even more expensive and requires more maintenance.

Top Bottom