E46 CBU 330i water boiling noise on outside

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Xander

Club Guest
Hello to all Sifus & Taiko's in the club , am rather new in this club and this is my first post . Anyway , have already done introduction in the newbie section about a month back and have been referring to your very informative forums which has helped me learn a lot about my new machine . As referred about the noise ... after driving on the highway yesterday nite from KL to Seremban .... averaging speed of about 120 - 140 KMH ( never exceeding 160 ) and a slow drive into our destination near Seremban town ... when I got down from the car after turning off the engine ... about 30 seconds later ... i could hear this noise ... " Puff...... Puff....... Puff " averaging about 1 seconds before the next "puff" from the bottom of the car ... like as if water was boiling and overflowing onto the floor under the car . It lasted for about 10 - 15 seconds max. I then proceeded to turn the ignition key to check temperature and all was normal ... I even reversed the car to see if there were any leakage on the floor but there was nothing . So ... obviosly left the car and continued to do what i was in Seremban for . I even openend the engine compartment to check for any leakeage or burst radiator but did not discover anything unusual . So .. to all sifu's and knowledgeable forumers out there , if ever any of you did encounter this situation before , I really would like to hear your story and hopefully solution if it is even a problem. I sure hope nothing serious is wrong with the car . P.S. : forgot to mention that the car was parked at a slight angle ... about 12 - 15 degrees slunted ( passenger side elevated ) when heard the sound .Thanks in advance guys . Xander

still think the noise's from radiator....when was the last time you top-up?

thanks for the reply Safri . I just obtained the car about 2 weeks ago ... Havent used it much ever since . Checked when first obtained the car .. all up to levels ... There is no signs of car overheating or any signs that the car is malfunctioning. Its just the sound .

On a side note , the drive has been incredible though ... the soundtrack from the engine is just AMAZING .... to say the least ... no to mention the handling of our first UDM ...

Throttle response and power delivery is also simply uncomparable to many cars i've driven be it sports sedans / big CC sedans ...

Xander

Xander, I guess you're referring to the sound of aircon water hitting the hot exhaust pipe or the auto tranny. If this is true then there's nothing to worry about.

ARR ... actually it DOES sound like that ... sounds like water falling on a hot surface and then evaporating eventually ... Mystery Solved I guessed . Thanks to Safri & ARR

Xander

glad you're happy with you ride man. did you get it from AB?. i'm sure the humming sound of the engine provides unlimited satisfaction to you!

Its your aircon overflow dripping on your exhaust. As I understand its built that way so that ice doesnt form on your driveway during "winter" months.
Mine's the same.

Xander,
That is the sound of water (discharged by a/c condenser) in-contact with the hot exhaust pipe. And, yes it does happen when the car is being parked at a slightly angled road. I'm driving a similar model.

good to know there are quite a number of forumers driving e46 330i..:). shall we keep a list?, let me start the ball rolling:

a) safri - e46 330i 2004 - silver

quote :
good to know there are quite a number of forumers driving e46 330i..:). shall we keep a list?, let me start the ball rolling:

a) safri - e46 330i 2004 - silver
b) Xander - e46 330i 2002 - silver

lets keep the ball rolling

Got it 2nd hand . Very good condition .. only 30 K km on it ... and yes ... its AB car .. checked record and everything there . 1st owner has more than 10 cars and car is driven by driver most of the time.

Xander said:
Got it 2nd hand . Very good condition .. only 30 K km on it ... and yes ... its AB car .. checked record and everything there . 1st owner has more than 10 cars and car is driven by driver most of the time.

you the lucky one man...i know of some ppl who're looking for e46 330i these days..

yea ... am truly happy with it ... ddnt take us that long to look for it . was actually contemplating between ci and i .... eventually settled for i because of a practicality of a 4 door . Never regretted ... :)

Xander

Top Bottom