E46: Brakes

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

romeo_v12

Club Guest
Hi All,Was on my may to Dsara last night and was passing the govt buildings on my right and took the exit on the right that goes to Dsara heights, where the Esso station is on your left as you climb the hill. There was a long queue on cars on the left hand side for those going to Bangsar(under the fly over), but the right lane was empty. I must have been going 60-80 kmh when a real fool decided to come out of the queue and jump right in front of me.I thought I had it and jammed the brake real hard. The UDM ABS kicked in(felt the kickback on the pedal) and I just about kissed his bumber. It was so close that my number plate cracked slightly. i was so happy that it wasnt any worse.Please be careful out there even if your lane is clear, the silly dude in the next lane may just jump in front of you and then, you've had it. Other than the expense and inconvenience, we dont really want our UDM's to be branded "accident".Take care people.Romeo :wink:

Yikes. What a scary experience, dude! and I take that route all the time since it's just in my neighbourhood! Interestingly, what did you do to let that fool know of what he almost caused?! I hope you honked him (or her) silly!!

That's why you must always keep a sharp lookout ahead... A car's nose will always nudge out first before they move out, and that's when you start horning and flashing and covering the brake pedal.

BTW, ABS is not the quickest way to stop...

Originally posted by The Necessary@Aug 18 2005, 09:40 AM
That's why you must always keep a sharp lookout ahead... A car's nose will always nudge out first before they move out, and that's when you start horning and flashing and covering the brake pedal.

Yup. I always try to anticipate the idi:eek:t! with thumb at horn ready to blast! In fact, one of 'em mods I won't mind doing is getting a louder horn or siren!! :p

Cutting a hole in your floor pan and sticking your legs out Fred Flintstone style!

Hahaha.

No la, ABS only comes on when you jam on the pedal and lock up the brakes, which intrinsically means it's not the best way to stop. The quickest way to stop is to keep the wheels every rotating so slightly, on the verge of lockup. But since that is a skill that eludes most of us, just jam on the pedal and start praying.

My tip to see if ppl coming jumping out of queue...

see their front wheels TURNING first and by this I mean the steering bit, not the rotating bit cos by then......a bit late!

good thing ur responses fast enugh....

I too had a close call today.the few cars ahead jammed brakes and i did too, managed not to locked the front too much (No ABS mah) and stopped milimeters from the car in front... the scary part was watching in the rear view mirror of the ever closing Waja. Heard his tyres screeched too... but luckily no incident...
Apparently, the cars in front braked cos a monitor lizard decided to cross the busy road..... when I drove past, the bugger was not injured but halfway thru the 2 lane road...
Hope it can get across alive and not cause a pile-up....

It might have became ingredient for 'sup biawak' aledi....

Originally posted by fabianyee@Aug 18 2005, 12:01 PM
I too had a close call today.the few cars ahead jammed brakes and i did too, managed not to locked the front too much (No ABS mah) and stopped milimeters from the car in front... the scary part was watching in the rear view mirror of the ever closing Waja. Heard his tyres screeched too... but luckily no incident...
Apparently, the cars in front braked cos a monitor lizard decided to cross the busy road..... when I drove past, the bugger was not injured but halfway thru the 2 lane road...
Hope it can get across alive and not cause a pile-up....

It might have became ingredient for 'sup biawak' aledi....
Some ppl find it a big taboo to kill a biawak... ;) If it were me, I would've ploughed through to avoid an accident but that's just me... :) :p

Originally posted by The Necessary@Aug 18 2005, 05:40 PM

Just a reminder - many forget that ABS is there to provide steering control DURING braking (or brake lock). But many just freeze when ABS engages and stare straight ahead. You CAN turn when ABS kicks in.

Not meaning to comment on what you did, EasyCuiser. I would have probably done the same. Swerving out is a nono without looking as well.

Iam extra cautious when driving alongside other vehicles especially on a multi lane road. Drivers here drift and shift lanes without warning or indication and most of the time not even realising what they did.
On winding roads I keep watch that their front tires and the distance to their side of the white lane lines are not coming close/r to mine.
Defensive driving is being able to anticipate what the other driver might do. Looking far ahead of traffic and watching out for signs of brake lights of cars further ahead is essential
Another defensive tip is also to look INTO the car in front of you (through the rear screen and into their mirror as well as into their side mirrors) to see if the driver has seen you as well as concentrating on his/her driving.

Okow's tip are from years of bike riding....heed carefully!

the looking thru the windows are important hence I get very cheese off when people driving the Plo.tong with shades UP! ( or heavy tinted rears etc etc ) I learnt that you should TRY see 5 cars ahead of you - for anticipation.

Originally posted by Jules@Aug 19 2005, 02:09 AM
Okow's tip are from years of bike riding....heed carefully!

the looking thru the windows are important hence I get very cheese off when people driving the Plo.tong with shades UP! ( or heavy tinted rears etc etc ) I learnt that you should TRY see 5 cars ahead of you - for anticipation.
Right on Jules....there are many tips that we bikers picked up along the way and all of them are for Defensive Riding....."cause when sh.t happens on the road....wer'e sh.t first."

So, the many years of riding and being thru all sorts of nasty situations has made me a natural defensive driver.

At the speeds we bikers do as well as from the lack of protection, we have to be very very alert and let me tell you that most accidents happen when you "let your guard down". ..the time when you are relaxed...at cruising speed.

I hate following cars that are heavily tinted at the rear (those V VIPs)...cant see thru and cant see what the heck is happening.

Looking ahead 5 cars as Jules suggested helps tremendously, as it prepares you to brake, noticing that the 5th car ahead brake lights have lit. You'd then have at least 6 second (each of the 4 cars in between taking 1 1/2 sec to brake) advantage / warning.

This also helps that in the event the car you are following does not have brake lights working, you are already well prepared.

Yup I was honking and "fingering" big time...could hear my heartbeat and left leg also shaking....like small boy. The other car had all his windows covered with mickey mouse sun shades.

When to Seven at Jalan Dsara and had cold beers to cool down....

Drive carefully braders and sisters....We might be good/careful drives...but many out there aren't.

Happy Friday. Cold beers at Merchant pub...do join.

Romeo

to stop at emergency, press the brake to maximum force (with EDB, ABS all the new electronic gadgets only) and DO NOT release the brake. Continue to steer the car while you are doing this.

When you hit the brake hard, the wheels tend to skid a little before the ABS kick in. Releasing the brake and re-apply the brake wil introduce more skids and the inertia will cause the car lurk forward.

Watch up your backside if you stop too fasst :rofl:

Top Bottom