E46 318i 1.9 GM 1 Gearbox Problem

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

seram

Club Guest
Hi to all Bro Bimmers,im having a gearbox problem when my car going up hill, the gb seems slip and not moving but the engine still roaring. i need advise before i go to overhauled it. cost me rm 2.8k if overhaulim not drivuing my car for 2 months ++ due to bodykits and paint job. last night when i take my car driving back and climb hill at mrr2 the car suddenly not moving and the engine roar at 6k rpm and suddenly stop.. and becouse of me the jalan jam haahaha :top: anyone here experience this problem before? mind to share :pthank you.

have you got your mech looked at ur GB? had the same slipping issue..any other symptom like disappearing gear display on the dashboard. mine started when the GB temp was too high..over 130 celcius where by right it should be around 80-85 celc. due to prolonged driving without knowing the issue causing me a hole in my pocket. recovering from the trauma now.

Why not change to a Japan Halfcut GB.... Now overhaul works not so good especially when they used OEM parts

is ur gearbox ok..after overnite???.....might b some switch intermittent not engaging the gears...

eujinee;643452 said:
is ur gearbox ok..after overnite???.....might b some switch intermittent not engaging the gears...

my car still moving after leave overnight.. but still cant climb hill is like the gear not hook to engine and not moving.. weird.. now it take at least 3 seconds to move from Reverse gear.. :stupid:

seram;643608 said:
my car still moving after leave overnight.. but still cant climb hill is like the gear not hook to engine and not moving.. weird.. now it take at least 3 seconds to move from Reverse gear.. :stupid:

start finding a good half cut GB bro..ven my mech adviced me before that recond or overhauled would not last long..problem will resurface again and it cost almost the same as getting a used GB anyway who got experience with half cut pricing?

seram;643608 said:

weird...my fren had a problem on m42 which is rev until 3k on gear engage..i guess its a different problem..may b get ur car to workshop and get it check bro..wats ur milage?? my car using same engine n gb as urs...

@ichi82 i already send to workshop the mech said my gb problem and will open up see what happend tomorrow.. 2nd gb rm 3.5k without installation and need to trade in old GB..

@eujinee hi bro my mileage is 150k.. nvm let the mech check and see how much first.. if rebuild back everything cost below 3k then ill go it :p if not then have to buy chopshop GB 3.5k LOL thanks to @ichi82 for the advise but now no more money after conversion to m3 bodykits LOL LOL

update us with the news....and wat causes it...so tht we can prevent frm happening..mine reaching 300k...

seram;643886 said:
@ichi82 i already send to workshop the mech said my gb problem and will open up see what happend tomorrow.. 2nd gb rm 3.5k without installation and need to trade in old GB..

@eujinee hi bro my mileage is 150k.. nvm let the mech check and see how much first.. if rebuild back everything cost below 3k then ill go it :p if not then have to buy chopshop GB 3.5k LOL thanks to @ichi82 for the advise but now no more money after conversion to m3 bodykits LOL LOL

cost of rebuilding might be the same as finding a used GB. at least that what i've been told..rebuilding might not resolve the problem and end up opting for used GB.ask you mech first if can guarantee or not. otherwise u end up paying more.. 2.5 - 3k for rebuilding and a month later another 4 k to put new GB..been watching ur progress on M3 red imola conversion. nice bro..

ichi82;644094 said:
cost of rebuilding might be the same as finding a used GB. at least that what i've been told..rebuilding might not resolve the problem and end up opting for used GB.ask you mech first if can guarantee or not. otherwise u end up paying more.. 2.5 - 3k for rebuilding and a month later another 4 k to put new GB..been watching ur progress on M3 red imola conversion. nice bro..

This is a very sensible advice... will keep this in mind next time im in a bad situation ... thx bro ichi82

IMO rebuilding is worth done if the mech is well versed about UDM tyranny..i have seen my mech rebuilt e39, e65 gboxes etc.he normally offers a guarantee to his customers n i believe he wouldn't want recurring issues .at least i know that he uses the new BMW parts for the gb as preventive measures. some mechanics suggest the recond unit because its easier for them ..my friend used the recond gb n it failed again after 8 months...i always believe in rebuilding the gb, will cost about the same but it gives me more peace of mind..cabuutz

thanks bro JFT63 hop[e my GB after rebuild will last longer.. and we can go for TTs :p

seram;644257 said:
thanks bro JFT63 hop[e my GB after rebuild will last longer.. and we can go for TTs :p

hehe..sure u cant keep up with the new smooth sailing GB..TT? sure, if time n place permit,why not...i met abuhasan with his Ci e46 last week in malacca n ezzo e36 yesterday..makan asam pedas kat Bpahat la, what else..where are u based?

seram;644297 said:
im stay in klang working in puchong.. wow malacca? jauh man ^_^

Alamak bro seram..road trip la..nk consider road trip pun xsmpi 2 jam dh sampai..

:tee:
seram;644297 said:
im stay in klang working in puchong.. wow malacca? jauh man ^_^

no hassle for the TT la..just keep in touch when travelling south bro..:top:

update@ my gb now works really2 good.. spend about rm 2.7k rebuild back change all the bearing/cluch oil etc etc..

Top Bottom