E39

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Hi,

I am Hamilton and i am new here.

I am considering getting myself an E39, first choice 528.

I notice that the 523 is 2.5 litre, then what is the capacity for 525 ?

I have very little knowledge on BMW and I like to drive. Beside that, I am running my own business so I need a car for image as well.

Can anyone tell me what to watch out if I am getting a 5 series ? Not many 528 but a lots of 523 ..... I am trying to get the 1999 5 series. What are the major parts which need repalcement and what is the related cost ? Say if I were to drive this car for the next 5 years, besides the normal maintenance, what are the parts to be replace and their related cost ?

Mant thanks in advance.

Jerman said:
Scanning the classified, looks like it's going for about RM 75k?

Jerman,

Due to ovverwhelming requests, why don't you organize E39 clinic and roadshow? You will be the main speaker. Eddiefiola will be the motivator. Jyazid will be the councellor. I will supply the ribena:D . What say you? Why not?

E39 Clinic & Roadshow

funfer_fahrer said:
Jerman,

Due to ovverwhelming requests, why don't you organize E39 clinic and roadshow? You will be the main speaker. Eddiefiola will be the motivator. Jyazid will be the councellor. I will supply the ribena:D . What say you? Why not?

Funfer,
You jet-lag or demam? Tak qualified, ler!:eek: I will supply the Panadol instead, ok?

By the way, it's great idea. Let's propose to the Committee, yes?

It is a great idea. Lets get all the fivers and share all the knowledge that all of us have so far. Professor Funfer will be the key speaker and Jerman will be the moderator!

hamilton, congrats for thinking of buying e39. best car in the real world.

523i using 2.5cc m52b25 engine, 170hp
525i using 2.5cc m52b25tu engine 170hp
525i (2002 above n certain 2001 models) using 2.5cc m54b25 engine 192hp
528i using 2.8cc, comes in m52b28 and m52b28tu engines, both have 193hp

hamilton, what is TU? tu=technical update. difference between tu and non-tu engines are:
- tu engine has redesigned crankcase
-tu engine has modified pistons
-tu engine has double vanos
- tu engine using siemens ms42 dme
-tu engine reaches torque at earlier rpm
-tu engine is a slightly heavier engine

other e39 models , malas aku nak cerita coz u are interested in 2.8 only.....

funfer, aku rase kau ni mabok. nak suruh aku jadik motivator apa. takyah nak motivate, e39 is still the best car in the 'real' world. itu sudah cukup utk motivate org.

kau kalau boleh jgn supply ribena. kalau nak supply, supply all the food yg kau buat masa open house aritu. semua sedap.........

bro eddie,

thks for yr comments. in fact, i am toying between the ideas of buying 523 or 528 as there are not many 525 in the used car market (i meant at the price which i can afford !!)

at the price which i can afford, i could probably get myself an 1997 or 1998 528 if not an 1999 523. should i go for the older single vanos 528 or later model 523 d vanos ??

cheers ....

roland1888 said:
No lah Yazid, he has put deposit to take over my car in 3-5 years time.:D

Wei roland suda mabuk ka? Abg yazid referring to other thing la.
Air suda naik kepala ka?

hamilton,
up to u. both 528 n 523 are the same except engine cc. if u don't mind the road tax, get the 528. n just get a good condition car.....if possible.....

i saw one E39 in phoenix yellow (but a bit dirty though) with the sticker M54B30 at the back...doing some Donut stunts in front of Rumah Limas in JB few weeks ago....damn powerful but i guess the driver is a bit wild!! :)

eddie,

i saw this oxford green 528 at a used car dealer, imported used (import terpakai), i quite like the car, just that it does not come with electric seats plus some of the lights dots on the digital display are not working. the car generally in good condition, engine running smooth but have not test drove the car yet; the car come with roller-blind, car phone, steptronic, multi-function steering and reverse sensors (4 at the back). asking price is rm8x,xxx and the saleman ask me to make my offer, i am thinking rm70,000, is that too much ?

plus, they give one month warranty.

or should i pay a bit extra to get an 98 523 ??

i saw from the ad from another dealer in tmn shemelin, 1999, 523, for rm99k.

appreciate yr comments.

cheers.

bro look for a 525i with the M54 engine it comes wiyh double vanos at 195 bhp. On paper the 525 and 523 is the same but on the road the 525 more powderful.

Jerman said:
Funfer,
You jet-lag or demam? Tak qualified, ler!:eek: I will supply the Panadol instead, ok?

By the way, it's great idea. Let's propose to the Committee, yes?

don't forget the racun workshop. There are plenty of speakers. By the time they finish you will probably get a M5 instead.

eddiefiola said:
hamilton, congrats for thinking of buying e39. best car in the real world.

523i using 2.5cc m52b25 engine, 170hp
525i using 2.5cc m52b25tu engine 170hp
525i (2002 above n certain 2001 models) using 2.5cc m54b25 engine 192hp
528i using 2.8cc, comes in m52b28 and m52b28tu engines, both have 193hp

hamilton, what is TU? tu=technical update. difference between tu and non-tu engines are:
- tu engine has redesigned crankcase
-tu engine has modified pistons
-tu engine has double vanos
- tu engine using siemens ms42 dme
-tu engine reaches torque at earlier rpm
-tu engine is a slightly heavier engine

other e39 models , malas aku nak cerita coz u are interested in 2.8 only.....

funfer, aku rase kau ni mabok. nak suruh aku jadik motivator apa. takyah nak motivate, e39 is still the best car in the 'real' world. itu sudah cukup utk motivate org.

kau kalau boleh jgn supply ribena. kalau nak supply, supply all the food yg kau buat masa open house aritu. semua sedap.........

See bro? The way you wrote I am already motivated even though I am currently driving one. You lifted my spirit again. Syok la. By the way, you are not only able to motivate but you make us all 5ers uncles feel dignified. Those e46ers and their waanbees are really scared of you when you wrote. This is what I call "doctor's order". Let's get the right prescription for the total ultimate BMW experience - let's get the E39! I don't mind supplying the food as long as you come.

hamilton, as i said earlier, if u don't mind the road tax, get the 528 rather than 523. from ur post, the 528 seems like a good buy. rm70,000 is reasonable. the digital display, if cannot be fixed, u can replace it with a new one or get it 2nd hand from any kedai potong in kl/sgor.

if i were u, given the choices that u stated (ie: 528 vs 523), i take the 528. preferably 528 with TU engine.

n hamilton, test drive the car first. slow speed n get into some highway, test at high speed. n before u buy, send the car first to any bmw mechanic to check on any faults.......

bimmer73, i've suggested hamilton to get m54b25 but unfortunately, the price is not within his budget at the moment..........

eddie,

i think i will go for the 528 if the saleman agree with rm70k; but one last thing (probably sounds stupid to some ...... but i got to ask, again ...) : some of my friends advised me not to touch bmw because the service and maintenance will kill me. ok, fixed interval servicing cost i think it would be the same as most of the jap cars with capacity of 2.5l and above; but how about maintenance, repair, wear and tear ? is it really the case that evry time a beemer goes into the workshop it will cost a few thousand ringgit and has to go to workshop a few times in a year ??

cheers,

Top Bottom