E39-weird smell inside car

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

transporter

Club Guest
hello all,

good day everyone. inside my ride there is a weird smell that i cant seem to get rid of. at first it smelled like the leather seat was aging but after polishing it with leather wax the smell is still there. i tried traditional methods like putting in pandan leaves and a bag of charcoal doesnt help either. have changed both left and right aircond filter also doesnt help. hard to describe the smell but i will try, it smell something like old aging leather and a little but of sweaty clothes. any idea where the weird smell is coming from?

thanks!

Close all doors and spray water to the door edge. Touch the floor carpet to see water seep in or not.

Anyway BMW is always got its special identify smell which some said come from the glue put in seat foam.

bmw7833 said:
Close all doors and spray water to the door edge. Touch the floor carpet to see water seep in or not.

Anyway BMW is always got its special identify smell which some said come from the glue put in seat foam.
hmmmm.....no wonder lah I always high when driving.ada glue rupa rupa nya....

No water on carpet..just thought of this. I remember reading somewhere there is a sponge between the aircond vent and the outside. Air will pass thru this sponge when outside air circulation is activated. Could it be this culprit?

when was the last time you change the active charcoal filter?

btw, even if you select to "Recirculation' mode all the time, the controller will still open to outside air from time to time.

antiquer said:
What happen if u drive with the ac off? Smell still there.?
good question. i have never tried this before due to hot weather in bolehland. let me try this on a cold day and see.

jarance said:
when was the last time you change the active charcoal filter?

btw, even if you select to "Recirculation' mode all the time, the controller will still open to outside air from time to time.
active charcoal filter = the left/right filter visible under the hood ?

if yes, just changed it about a month ago..

transporter said:
active charcoal filter = the left/right filter visible under the hood ?

if yes, just changed it about a month ago..
Those are cabin filters..

where may i find this 'active charcoal filter' ? tried googling mostly it came out cabin filter.. :stupid:

Actually, I meant the cabin filter but there is also the fuel filter as well which look like a canister.

since you have change the cabin filter, check whether your AC drain line is choked or not.

i got a quick fix for u guys.....
start ur engine & full blast ur aircond.....
get a bottle of Febreeze anti bacterial (orange coloured)
spray under ur dash board where ur car pedals are.
all the spray will get into ur aircond system and get rid of all the crappy smells.
spray more if needed
let the aircond on for 5 minutes with cabin all shut.
smell will be gone if not reduced.
cheap n easy.....

If it smell like ur smelly shocks.. it is from the cooling coil behind d dashboard . Not easy to clean, normally hv to remove dashboard.

Top Bottom