E39 - Vibration/Irregular RPM

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

msian

Club Guest
Hi everyone,Been experiencing vibration and irregular RPM. Most noticeable when going uphill. Rev will bounce (eg - 2 then 1.5, then back to 2) with a "woove" sound. Not sure what to do. Yet to have it looked at by mechanic. But appreciate any feedback as to what this may be. Thanks!P.S I have changed the fuel pump.

Check your Ignition coil or start your car and check the exhaust sound. see if it miss firing

bimmer73;630304 said:
Check your Ignition coil or start your car and check the exhaust sound. see if it miss firing

thanks, doesn't seem to be misfiring, when on idle no issues/sounds.

anyone with some insight? I called optimum and gave them a description of the problem. they are quoting me 2.1-2.2k to repair it. saying it is the torque converter?

thanks, i took it to M Speed. They said try to service the camshaft. Take it apart and refit it. RM200. But no guarantee that is the issue.

how to "service" camshaft? Is there anything on it that's 'serviceable" in the first place??

msian;632338 said:
thanks, i took it to M Speed. They said try to service the camshaft. Take it apart and refit it. RM200. But no guarantee that is the issue.

Bro, mind telling is it the cam shaft or the cam shaft sensor? thnx

herbert;632556 said:
I believe what M speed did is to re-algin the cam shalf.

sorry i meant longshaft. I think they explained, to take it apart and put it back. Any feedback on this? I did not do it as yet.

I have the longshaft problem before, but nothing wrong with the RPM reading, only car feel judder when pick up.

bmw7833;632575 said:
I have the longshaft problem before, but nothing wrong with the RPM reading, only car feel judder when pick up.

what did u end up doing? my car shudders a bit between 60-80. I have done alignment and balancing to rule it out. diagnostics also showing everything clear.

msian;632668 said:
what did u end up doing? my car shudders a bit between 60-80. I have done alignment and balancing to rule it out. diagnostics also showing everything clear.

I changed the long shaft bearing and guibo.

Shudder only 60-80? Looks like more on wheels and bushing problem to me.

msian,
I have similar problem as describe by u, unfortunately changing the drive shalf / long shaft as u call it did not help, my vibration is noticeable around 40km/hr.
1.it cld b torque converter as suggested here.
2. rear differential as i hear noise fr d rear once but need to confirm again.

bmw7833;632669 said:
I changed the long shaft bearing and guibo.

Shudder only 60-80? Looks like more on wheels and bushing problem to me.

I looked through the wheels during wheel alignment and could not notice any abnormalities. Balancing n alignment done. when i took it to M speed they jacked it up, they did not tell me it was the bushings. Will try to get 2nd opinion this weekend. I hope its not the torque converter as its $$$.

aangavatar;633045 said:
msian,
I have similar problem as describe by u, unfortunately changing the drive shalf / long shaft as u call it did not help, my vibration is noticeable around 40km/hr.
1.it cld b torque converter as suggested here.
2. rear differential as i hear noise fr d rear once but need to confirm again.

I think it may be the torque converter too. Did you get a quote for that? Rear diff - I too hear noises from the rear but hard to confirm while driving. I think we have the same issue. BTW, most of the mechanics advise me against an ATF flush, saying we dont have to do it... but sometimes the gear changes arent so smooth. Can an ATF flush damage the car?

I have heard that parts and repairs are cheaper in SG. Is this true? Dont mind driving there to get the entire car checked up and to fix this issue; while having a short holiday there.

Msia,
which yr model r u driving?
u cld get a 2nd hand torque converter or rear differential, anyone know the price here? workmanship will probably cost around 200 to 300.

aangavatar;633387 said:
Msia,
u cld get a 2nd hand torque converter or rear differential, anyone know the price here? workmanship will probably cost around 200 to 300.

Torque converter also can buy ? As i know need to recond for torque converter or buy a gear box.

aangavatar;633387 said:
Msia,

E39, 523 99'.

I have sent it to another workshop to check out the problem. Maybe coupling/center bearing, he said. On another note, last week my ignition coil 6 failed, and today it failed again. Not sure if because of faulty coil, but if happens again might be something else.

Msian,
Wa, u hv gone to few mechanics, and all gave them different diagnostic..
Neway, i think it could be the ignition coil..also, if any sign of misfiring then it could be due sparkplug..last but not least, any leaking vacuum hose could also caused that (this is a nightmare to find actually..).
I agree with some that for a longshaft problem, the car will judder and make clonking noise too if serious..
good luckand keep us updated on the outcome !

msian;635058 said:
E39, 523 99'.

I have sent it to another workshop to check out the problem. Maybe coupling/center bearing, he said. On another note, last week my ignition coil 6 failed, and today it failed again. Not sure if because of faulty coil, but if happens again might be something else.

2 weeks ago, I experienced something similar i.e. wobbling/vibrate, noise from the rear when I tried to go above 60 km/hr. My immediate thoughts were...longshalf, torque converter, rear wheel bearings. Idling was also rough. My mechanic used his diagnostic tester and found cylinder no 5 was not working. Other cylinders were also not healthy. Replaaced 6 x ignition coils and spark plugs and engine runs superb again.

Top Bottom