e39: indicators do not light

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

huskar3399

Club Guest
i recorded short video as below. some of the indicators at cluster do not flash either during test or whenever want to start car. why this happens and what should i do? many thanks.[video=youtube;8gF8t4V8Z5Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gF8t4V8Z5Q&feature=g-upl[/video]

Normally, if you open up the cluster you'll find black tape covering the related bulbs. If I remember correctly last time when I scanned your car, it had a wheel speed sensor error but the ABS light did not light up.

Cheap fix for car dealers who wanted to sell cars 'without any problems, just buy and drive'.

If that is the case, its still ok, just take out the tape and fix the root of the errors.

Some unscrupulous dealers/mechanics even go as far as taking out the bulb altogehter, this one is a real pain in the a** to fix.

haywire;788694 said:
Normally, if you open up the cluster you'll find black tape covering the related bulbs. If I remember correctly last time when I scanned your car, it had a wheel speed sensor error but the ABS light did not light up.

Cheap fix for car dealers who wanted to sell cars 'without any problems, just buy and drive'.

If that is the case, its still ok, just take out the tape and fix the root of the errors.

Some unscrupulous dealers/mechanics even go as far as taking out the bulb altogehter, this one is a real pain in the a** to fix.
yup i remember that. same errors come out from my scanner as well. i found video how to remove the cluster. will give it a try.

this morning i took out the cluster and found out black tape behind the cluster. it's true what u expect bro haywire. i removed the tape and reinstall the obc, now the abs indicator does flash.

but i have another problem. my temperature gauge needle does not play like it should be. this started since day 1 i got the car. did not bother much about this because i changed new radiators and necessary components. i also regularly check the coolant level. but how to solve the needle problem?

[video=youtube;0tMqfFpeioU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tMqfFpeioU[/video]

Not the correct way to test your needle bro hehe. Anyway from earlier video I can see the needle is not working.

Perhaps the neddle motor is kaput.

haywire;788806 said:
Not the correct way to test your needle bro hehe. Anyway from earlier video I can see the needle is not working.

Perhaps the neddle motor is kaput.
ahaha hopefully nothing bad happens to other needles. how to rectify the problem? any suggestion?

Not sure what the problem is. Need to see first. Anyway did you feel any friction when you pushed the needle?

haywire;788694 said:

Holy sh*t! And I thought the worst the dealer can do is just tamper with the odometer.

just pull the needle out slightly on the temperature. It look like it was inserted too much.

Just pull out the needle by 0.5mm. Even if the motor or spring is broken, it should not stay at the position when you push it.

Or yeah, to calibrate the needle, run the engine until hot. It should be in the middle or half mark position.

Guys,

I thought the cluster motors are stepper motors, why do they spring back to initial position after being pushed? Normally, stepper motors wouldn't do that

Thanks for the video bro huskar, let me know when in Penang again

Cheers

aidilj;788851 said:
Guys,

I thought the cluster motors are stepper motors, why do they spring back to initial position after being pushed? Normally, stepper motors wouldn't do that

Cheers

Not sure sure what it is called but the motor looked like this:

8252314234_d521cc121e_z.jpg

haywire;788833 said:
Not sure what the problem is. Need to see first. Anyway did you feel any friction when you pushed the needle?
ok i'll contact you further. i think there's a very little friction whenever i rotate the needle. dunno it's true or just my feeling because u asked. lol.

Yeow;788839 said:
Holy sh*t! And I thought the worst the dealer can do is just tamper with the odometer.
i also did not believe it when bro haywire told me last time when he scanned my car. but it's proven. need to warn our friends out there who are buying car from dealers. scanner is your best friend. pinpoint the problems even they are not visible on the cluster.

jarance;788847 said:
just pull the needle out slightly on the temperature. It look like it was inserted too much.

Just pull out the needle by 0.5mm. Even if the motor or spring is broken, it should not stay at the position when you push it.

Or yeah, to calibrate the needle, run the engine until hot. It should be in the middle or half mark position.
thanks bro. will try that next. i observed the needle plays a bit now but the position of the needle need to be calibrated more properly.

aidilj;788851 said:
Guys,

Cheers
hehe i'm in penang this weekend. going to be a busy one. kenduri right left front behind.

bro....the temp gauge spring koyak ady.don't bother fixing it and don't bother trying to find replacement meter to solder it back in place.i doubt these are sold here anyways.i went thru 3 instrument clusters in my e39 lifetime (another story for another day) and i experimented and destroyed 1 just to see the innards.the needle cannot be adjusted on its axis.(i have tried pulling the needle).the only solution is a replacement instrument cluster.get it locally (expensive) or ebay.i got mine from ebay,delivered,for circa rm400.i bought 3 clusters all in.from USA(2 weeks),UK(1 mth) and Poland(1.5 mths).
instrument20bonkers.jpg

P9110001.jpg

moots;788940 said:
bro....the temp gauge spring koyak ady.don't bother fixing it and don't bother trying to find replacement meter to solder it back in place.i doubt these are sold here anyways.i went thru 3 instrument clusters in my e39 lifetime (another story for another day) and i experimented and destroyed 1 just to see the innards.the needle cannot be adjusted on its axis.(i have tried pulling the needle).the only solution is a replacement instrument cluster.get it locally (expensive) or ebay.i got mine from ebay,delivered,for circa rm400.i bought 3 clusters all in.from USA(2 weeks),UK(1 mth) and Poland(1.5 mths).
not fixable ka the needle? guess i have to live with that for temporary. last time i could see the needle was playing a bit. maybe next i'll play around with the needle again and see my luck.

huskar3399;789273 said:
not fixable ka the needle? guess i have to live with that for temporary. last time i could see the needle was playing a bit. maybe next i'll play around with the needle again and see my luck.

Ur cluster meter selling less than RM300 in ebay. If facelift cluster will cost u atleast RM700

haywire;789339 said:
Where got facelift cluster la. Its High and Low cluster.
i saw somewhere about this high and low type of clusters. mine is which type? can my car be fitted by the other type directly? thanks.

Top Bottom