E39 engine mis-firing

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
zidee;727149 said:
I don't think it has to do your engine. Go to reputable tyre shop that can do on wheel balancing. I believe it is due to your wheel. Check also whether there is any dent to your rim.

If you are staying is Klang Valley some shops that can do "on wheel balancing" are MPS Sunway, Consistence Distinction Jalan Klang Lama or Shah Alam Tyres Section 15.
thanks bro. let's give it a try to see if that's the real culprit.

Damn! My mech charged me rm240 for each ignition coil, excluding labour. Thanks to you bros out there, now i will buy the coils myself.....
Any ideas where to buy parts like clips for interior dash, door trims etc? My e39 year 2000 so some parts worn out...

Ibai7237;727508 said:
Damn! My mech charged me rm240 for each ignition coil, excluding labour. Thanks to you bros out there, now i will buy the coils myself.....
Any ideas where to buy parts like clips for interior dash, door trims etc? My e39 year 2000 so some parts worn out...
that's more than double of the standard price. i visited munich jalan segambut yesterday he first quoted me 110 for ignition coil. i replied "110 cannot ka uncle". he said okla2 110 oso can but i did not buy. maybe next time. it's bremi not bosch. he said my m54b25 can only suit bremi. no idea it's true or not.

aduh my car now kena the misfiring simptons already. steering vibrates when idling, and check engine light illuminates. it started to happen after i replaced the vanos seal but i dont think they're interrelated. diagnosis result reads errors as "fuel trim" and "misfiring". misfiring is deletable but fuel trim is not. mechanics presume "pressure regulating valve" (item no 1) as the culprit.

View attachment 23629

i made some reading through several bmw forums, they recommend first to check the MAF and get it cleaned if it dirty and replace it if faulty. i plan to do that first and if the vibration simptom still persists then i plan to replace all 6 ignition coils at once.

based on what have i read, isnt it normal to have that symptom within the run in period of the new vanos seal? try to reset the error after the run in period. but perhaps the fuel trim error shouldnt be there.. guess u should try clean up your MAF first.. :39:

alive88;728314 said:
based on what have i read, isnt it normal to have that symptom within the run in period of the new vanos seal? try to reset the error after the run in period. but perhaps the fuel trim error shouldnt be there.. guess u should try clean up your MAF first.. :39:
really?! if it's normal then i guess i have to wait until the run in time finishes before replacing other things to clear the check engine light. in the meantime i think i'll just clean the MAF 1st and see how. will keep the thread updated. thanks alive88!

eh can u share me the link about the simptoms after vanos seal replacement?

i cant quite seem to find where did i read it.. but i think its kinda linked from the beisan website itself.. but the error is for missfire, not fuel trim.

bad luck my MAF kaput already. sprayed once, engine jerk & dead. sprayed twice same happened. i unplugged the MAF connector and engine seemed to be working properly when idling. test drive to cheras this morning and returned luckily everything ok. gonna buy new MAF maybe this monday. called BA they quoted rm546 for the sensor.

no idea what is the main use of MAF actually?

MAF-Mass Air Flow
A mass air flow sensor is used to find out the mass flowrate of air entering a fuel-injected internal combustion engine. The air mass information is necessary for the engine control unit (ECU) to balance and deliver the correct fuel mass to the engine. Air changes its density as it expands and contracts with temperature and pressure. In automotive applications, air density varies with the ambient temperature, altitude and the use of forced induction, which means that mass flow sensors are more appropriate than volumetric flow sensors for determining the quantity of intake air in each piston stroke.

alive88;728920 said:
MAF-Mass Air Flow
A mass air flow sensor is used to find out the mass flowrate of air entering a fuel-injected internal combustion engine. The air mass information is necessary for the engine control unit (ECU) to balance and deliver the correct fuel mass to the engine. Air changes its density as it expands and contracts with temperature and pressure. In automotive applications, air density varies with the ambient temperature, altitude and the use of forced induction, which means that mass flow sensors are more appropriate than volumetric flow sensors for determining the quantity of intake air in each piston stroke.
like my case i drove with the sensor detached, what will ECU read? does the connector still give signal to ECU when it's not connected? sensor disconnected vs faulty sensor, which 1 is better?

sorry for the many questions. just saying what's inside my mind. ehe.

when u detached, the ECU will run its default setting and it should run smooth.. and this is what u had done..
i cant say which is better, but replacing new MAF sure is the best solution!.

*i think default setting,or detached is better rather than having ur AF mixture fluctuates like crazy due to ur MAF kaput.. again, this is only what i think.. other sifus please correct me if im wrong. tq!

got this problem too. diagnostic shows cylinder 2 and 6 misfiring.

solved it after change air flow, valve and abs sensor.

hope this helps.

mika;732383 said:
got this problem too. diagnostic shows cylinder 2 and 6 misfiring.

solved it after change air flow, valve and abs sensor.

hope this helps.

What ABS sensor got to do with misfiring problem?

when u run it detached, the car will run at full "rich", which means around 11-12 stoic afr... so just consume a lot of fuel.

zidee;845706 said:
What ABS sensor got to do with misfiring problem?

If this sensor is gone during driving everytime apply the brake pedal ecu will cut off the speed so when press the acc pedal again you can feel it is abit slow or late respond...
Safety since the abs is not functioning...my 2 cents...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

HI Sifu,

My Name Is Chris. I just joined this forum.I have been driving a E39 year 2000 Japan spec for almoast 7 years.Just 2 days ago I had the engine failsafe program with the ASc light. pm not more then 1500 w misfiring.Went to diagnose . They say is the Ideal throttle valve is choked. They clean it and was okay.
6 hours later . I had the same message. After a few times start and stop the message went off. This morning I was driving sudden the message came . I did the same switch off wait for a min or so and started it was ok . just a kM away it happen again. did the same thing.

Could you advice what would be best to be done?

Thx
Chris

Dr TS faced this problem before. His problem was the CAT stucked. After clean the CAT then everything back to normal. His problem sounds like this. When floor the paddle to RPM 5500 the the engine lights on. After switched of the enigne the light is off. And when engine light is on, the engine is misfired.

Top Bottom