E39 engine mis-firing

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Ibai7237

Club Guest
Hi guys! I'm new to the forum but have been reading up posts here quite regularly.Need advice as my E39 year 2000 523i engine is mis-firing. At idling speed can feel the car shaking slightly.Sent it to bmw and they tell me cylinder no.6 is the cause. For 2nd opinion sent it to workshop recommended by my bro-in-law,they said it's cylinder no. 2. So changed the ignition coil and engine mounting (at my request)but problem still persists.Anyone out there can advise further action?

Hi ibai..firstly, welcome to our forum bro...
Have u sent for diagnosis? I experienced quite the same issue recently. Many could trigger the issue. As for my case,..plugged in the diagnostic tool and the errors were the camshaft sensor and crankshaft position sensor..get a reputable mech to check it for u..good luck bro

lately i kena this few issues

2 week ago, while driving, suddenly car lost power and engine very shaky...definitely a misfiring matter
sent to my mech...found out ignition coil no.1 died.
Since the coils oredi reach more than 100,000km my mech recommended me to change all as the rest will eventually fail in no time

also took out the spark plugs to check...also time to change....

problem solved.....few days later....had some idling problem...initially not serious but within 2 to 3 days...problem became worse
white smoke keep coming out and engine shaky again
the oil return valve and those 4 vacuum hoses needed to change.

went to mech..got it changed.....now everything back to normal

pam312;718025 said:
lately i kena this few issues

2 week ago, while driving, suddenly car lost power and engine very shaky...definitely a misfiring matter
sent to my mech...found out ignition coil no.1 died.
Since the coils oredi reach more than 100,000km my mech recommended me to change all as the rest will eventually fail in no time

also took out the spark plugs to check...also time to change....

problem solved.....few days later....had some idling problem...initially not serious but within 2 to 3 days...problem became worse
white smoke keep coming out and engine shaky again
the oil return valve and those 4 vacuum hoses needed to change.

went to mech..got it changed.....now everything back to normal

Then oil separator no need to change?

JFT63;717998 said:
Hi ibai..firstly, welcome to our forum bro...
Have u sent for diagnosis? I experienced quite the same issue recently. Many could trigger the issue. As for my case,..plugged in the diagnostic tool and the errors were the camshaft sensor and crankshaft position sensor..get a reputable mech to check it for u..good luck bro

Before this my camshaft sensor got problem but never had mis-firing only engine idle suddenly die off.

Wow...really quick response,thanks bro.

Anyway car in workshop today - Raymond Auto Works in Sunway Damansara. Told him to do diagnostics as well as check on items mentioned above.
Bought the car from a friend one and half year ago. Real fantastic drive......
Only worried if have to do top overhaul if problem lies with piston rings or cracked engine block.(nightmare !!!!)

Keep u guys updated next week.

Cheers!!!

dun worry lah wont be so serious..

few reasonable culprit.
1. coils
2.Manifold breather oil separator ( i think its called psv or something)
3. o2 sensors

good luck bro.

Ibai7237;718194 said:
Wow...really quick response,thanks bro.

Anyway car in workshop today - Raymond Auto Works in Sunway Damansara. Told him to do diagnostics as well as check on items mentioned above.
Bought the car from a friend one and half year ago. Real fantastic drive......
Only worried if have to do top overhaul if problem lies with piston rings or cracked engine block.(nightmare !!!!)

Keep u guys updated next week.

Cheers!!!

1 of our member here send the car to Raymond Auto Works. The car actually engine oil pump spoiled and top overhaul then has been charge over RM8k. In fact RM8k can buy a double vanos half cut car head already.

alantiong;718248 said:
2.Manifold breather oil separator ( i think its called psv or something)

It's called PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) - Oil Separator unit. :)

Thanks for all the replies, bros.

It's already 4 days in the workshop, still can't tell me what's wrong with the car.
Wondering if it's time to search for another workshop ??
Any recommendations?

did the mechanic check with GT1?

usually this kind of things, d GT1 will b able to tell

so far wat did the mechanic check and verified that its working?

if u r interested to go to my regular mech...let me know...i'll PM u d contact

Thanks pam312.

Don't know actually what they have checked so far as I'm outstation and tele-conversations are brief.
Don't mind your mech contact as patience running thin.

Thanks again.

Ibai7237;717962 said:
E39 year 2000 523i engine is mis-firing. At idling speed can feel the car shaking slightly.
Sent it to bmw and they tell me cylinder no.6 is the cause. So changed the ignition coil and engine mounting (at my request)but problem still persists.
Fren of mine had d same problem, diagnose show cylinder no. 6, its a 530, yr 2003, M54. so far changed all coil, spark plug to NGK, DISA valve, clean MAF but problem still persists, no vacuum leak detected either.
just to note: each time d car is out fr workshop, car seems normal, shaking normally comes days / weeks later, probably due to mech reset the fault code!
I am suspecting:
1. no. 6 injector? as she claimed no shaking for a month after using wurth injector cleaner or
2. CCV ? as I noticed white smoke.

i just got my car diagnosed. 2 of the cylinders facing misfiring problem. what are the other symptoms besides the shaky feeling when idling? will the indicators at the panel alert? i don't feel the it too much so i assume my car is good to go.

guess how the diagnostic come to the conclusion that it is misfiring..... by the pulse of Nox and Ox timing in the exhaust air. if you have a not so good ox sensor... the diagnostic will tell u have got misfiring. even though u have regulating voltage in your ox sensor reading.

Top Bottom