E39 Audio Panel

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

acegreaser

Club Guest
My friend has a UK specs E39. It came with the GPS and LCD screen. One of the button's connection seems faulty, which makes turning on and off intermittent. In return, you can't control anything. Not the CD or the tuner. TV can turn on but no sound.Shop says must change the whole panel...something in the region of rm4k.Sifus????

He could be right as the whole unit is modularised. RM4k sounds cheap. Last I recall, the TV thing is >RM10k. It's the small screen or the newer wide screen model?

It's the small screen. The newer ones are the expensive ones right? The newer models have touch screen right? My friends car doesn't have the touch screen.

So must change?

Hi Pilot..

I'm kepochi here. :D

As far as I know there are 2 types of GPS screen.

One, is the full fledge 4 inches screen, thet shows the map, and plays TV.

The other is the 2 inchi screen, that shows the arrow - straight ahead, turn left etcetra. This dun play TV.

So, which one is fitted?

:huh:

This must be the 4inch screen. They have the GPS function there la. But no database for Malaysia. It's not touch screen. I think the touch screen costs more than 10k. He was quoted 4k. Ok ah. Or anyway to repair the knob

Err. The pre 2002 models come with the 4" screen whilst the newer ones has the full 6.5" wide screen. Only the E46 has that small arrow option. In fact, the older TV option is similar between the 3, 5, 7 and even looks the same for the X5. My old 323CI has the small 4" screen. TV reception is quite good.

Currently have some problem with my Audio Panel as well. Mine is 1996 E39, so it is just a simple Audio system with no GPS etc etc. Just checked with AB, the unit cost about 3kRM.

Malaysia having no GPS providers, wouldn't it be better to go for a simpler system.

E39, with its wood paneling, any advise on the type of replacement.
Go for the same model? The quoted unit from AB is 3kRM.
or look for a 2nd hand unit, question is where to find these?
or just completly replace with another brand, however, need advise on the best replacement (i.e. value for money)

Saw one sometime ago at our wellknown used parts dealer in taman mayang.

But another suggestion is for you to change the head unit with any aftermarket one. My installer has an imported trim to fit the E39. You do loose the stereo controls on the steering wheel and the trip computer though.

Abang Saat,

Trying to spread your Racun here, ka ? Looks like you've restarted the Infamous Say Tak NaK To Stock HU campaign again !!! Affan will be one happy camper !

P/S - The bracket trim looks nice indeed. Did you finally settle for the 7998R that you've been eyeing for a while ? Cheers.

The panel for e39 that saat posted can also be obtained at Eunos 1Utama. Not very expensive.

Yea, the trim is fairly cheap. He wanted to throw in for free if I fitted the after-market HU.

No, I decided not to do it cos I am changing the E39 for a 3 series.

Van, you guys are like wolves, the slightest trace, you swarm in. Ease off mna, hyjack this thread too far nanti kena ban.

cheers

Abang Saat,

Mana ada hijack, Bro .. Just injecting some poison subtly only ma. Ai, why trading the 5er for a 3er ? Getting the E90 aah ? Cheers.

Originally posted by saat@Apr 13 2005, 12:01 AM
But another suggestion is for you to change the head unit with any aftermarket one. My installer has an imported trim to fit the E39. You do loose the stereo controls on the steering wheel and the trip computer though.
like that better don't change man... if change already later you tekan the button on the steering wheel nothing happens you dem tension... the music maybe sound better but u still feel tension bocs of the farking buttons... wasted the effort coz music suppose to make you relax...

Erica,

The exact reason why I maintained my ori head unit - I didnt want to loose the stereo controls on the steering.

I keep telling this to the ICE racun gang.

Any ideal how to re-tune the Japanese tuner to receive local channels? Japan version range from 70.00Mhz - 90.00Mhz only. Tak dapat Hit FM, Wah FM, MY FM, L&E FM.......... damn!!!!!

Originally posted by 5series@Jun 7 2005, 12:35 AM
Any ideal how to re-tune the Japanese tuner to receive local channels? Japan version range from 70.00Mhz - 90.00Mhz only. Tak dapat Hit FM, Wah FM, MY FM, L&E FM.......... damn!!!!!
If yours is the business radio without the big screen, there s no need to retune. The BMW head unit is a universal unit built for ALL regions. All it need is for the region to be set.

To do this, following the following instructions:

1. Turn off the radio,
2. Turn the radio back on and press the "M" button for at least 10 sec until the display changes,
3. Use the "+" or "-" keys to scroll up or down the menu display until "?" is displayed. ? - Cant remember the exact display.
4. Select OCE for oceania, or play around until you get the right setting

Top Bottom