E39 530i MSport

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

azan23uk

Club Guest
Hi All,Driving at speed above 80kmh, I can hear a faint and continuous high-pitch sound coming from the front of the car and gets louder especially above 120kmh. I put the gear to "N" while doing 120kmh and let the rev down to almost idle, but the sound is still there. Switched off the A/C and stereo, the sound still there. So I can conclude that this high-pitch sound is not rev-related or due to A/C system. It is speed related and doesn't sound like wind whistling. Changed the front bearings even and swap the tires to the back but the sound is still there. It's irritating and spoils the quiet and serene ride our E39s are famous for. I never had this problem with my old 528i. Anyone has ever experienced this problem? TQ

U just bought the car rite? Try change all the beltings and all the pulleys at the front of the engine first.

If the sounds still there even if you're stationary then you can rule out the longshaft possibility.

Chances are, some pulleys including the tensioner pulleys upfront had never been changed before.

- - - Updated - - -

U just bought the car rite? Try change all the beltings and all the pulleys at the front of the engine first.

If the sounds still there even if you're stationary then you can rule out the longshaft possibility.

Chances are, some pulleys including the tensioner pulleys upfront had never been changed before.

5150;853408 said:

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks bro. The sound doesn't come out at idling or stationery...no such sound even I give it a rev. I kinda rule out engine rev/engine speed related. Tensioners & belts look just been changed. The high-pitch sound must be pretty loud cos I can hear it with the window down at 80kmh and at 120kmh, I can hear it all windows closed. Anyways, I'd share this with my mechanic.

- - - Updated - - -

If that's the case then it must be your wheel bearings that are worn out...

5150...can you plse re-read azan's first post and understand the symptoms and what he has done before even replying plse.....

moots;853437 said:
5150...can you plse re-read azan's first post and understand the symptoms and what he has done before even replying plse.....
Ok, no problemo. Just sharing my experiences in spending more than 40k rebuilding my 1996 e39. Imho rgd e39 more than one cause can produce almost the same one or many symptoms. I have totally replaced ALL my undercarriage parts including subframe bushings, new longshaft and even rebuilt my drive shafts so i know what i'm talking about. Even the shocks n springs are all new bought from mr zul aka mdirectspares.

Anyway just offering free advises based on real experiences on my same car.

TQ.

- - - Updated - - -

moots;853437 said:
Ok, no problemo. Just sharing my experiences in spending more than 40k rebuilding my 1996 e39. Imho rgd e39 more than one cause can produce almost the same one or many symptoms. I have totally replaced ALL my undercarriage parts including subframe bushings, new longshaft and even rebuilt my drive shafts so i know what i'm talking about. Even the shocks n springs are all new bought from mr zul aka mdirectspares.

Anyway just offering free advises based on real experiences on my same car.

TQ.

haywire;853526 said:
OP already said he changed the front bearings.

Ok. Azan, what about your 4 jackstand rubber pads? And if they're still there you might want to change your front door rubbers and body rubbers, i did mine and it certainly cures some wind sounds. But they are not cheap, no aftermakets for these rubbers got to get them ori bmw. Both left n right side front cost me 1800. If there r still wind sounds then u can check your sunroof rubber (if you have one).

Gud luck.

- - - Updated - - -

haywire;853526 said:
OP already said he changed the front bearings.

Ok. Azan, what about your 4 jackstand rubber pads? And if they're still there you might want to change your front door rubbers and body rubbers, i did mine and it certainly cures some wind sounds. But they are not cheap, no aftermakets for these rubbers got to get them ori bmw. Both left n right side front cost me 1800. If there r still wind sounds then u can check your sunroof rubber (if you have one).

Gud luck.

Thanks 5150. The sound is not likely to be wind noise whistling. But I will check again. Got to do above 145kmh to let the high pitch sound disappear behind the louder tyre and wind noises...heh heh. The car is fantastic... always remind me why I fell for BMW in the first place. Will shoot some photos and share with the rest. TQ

BMW E39 530i MSport

Thanks 5150. The sound is not likely to be wind noise/whistling. But I will check again. Got to do above 145kmh to let the high pitch sound disappear behind the louder tyre and wind noises...heh heh. The car is fantastic... always remind me why I fell for BMW in the first place. Will shoot some photos and share with the rest. TQ

Tq azan, and good luck bro. But i can tell you when you do find the cause and fix it, you'll love your E39 more :)

If swapping tyres front and rear doesnt work...buy a new set of tyres..it works for me last time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all. Car is undergoing top overhaul...suspect of blown gasket. Header needs skimming, new valves seals. Thermostat is jammed as well. Told my mechanic to take his time to do a thorough job. Will check all those belts and tensioners.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks all. Car is undergoing top overhaul...suspect of blown gasket. Header needs skimming, new valves seals. Thermostat is jammed as well. Told my mechanic to take his time to do a thorough job. Will check all those belts and tensioners.

Azan, if blown gasket, then your temperature was high?

Btw where do you send your car for repair?

Tq.

- - - Updated - - -

Azan, if blown gasket, then your temperature was high?

Btw where do you send your car for repair?

Tq.

I had one episode of overheating few weeks back...but temperature 3/4...heading to red. Didn't take the risk and pulled over. Thermostat jammed...but I suspect the header had blown the gasket so I asked the my mechanic to do a top overhaul (already budgeted for it). Header is bit warped...gasket blown...valve seals (2 pieces) broken. Should be ready by Friday. Sent to Classic Car Care Services (Ah Keong) at Kayu Ara Damansara...he's been attending my BMW and all my other cars for more than 10 years...charges are reasonable....and an honest guy.

Top Bottom