E39 520i gearbox leaking(very slightly) and acceleration problems

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

yoman1979

Club Guest
Hi all,I hope everyone's having a great day so far. I am the relatively new owner of a 1997 E39 520i, the single vanos auto one. I used to own a 520i E34 before this....and the E39 has always been my dream BMW....I'm currently having issues w/ my gearbox. Here is a description of the problems:1) My mechanic told me the gearbox is leaking very slightly....but apparently can tahan for now...just monitor and topup ATF.... according to him. Not so sure about that.2) When I accelerate, there seems to be a hard barrier on the accelerator pedal whenever I reach around 2.5k RPMs...only when I jam the throttle hard can I punch that barrier and when I do so, the RPMs fly up to 5k,6k RPMs. The other day was taking a 300 km drive and when I tried to floor it (was on a hill), the RPM's refused to rise above 2.7k even when I jammed the throttle. Only later (after I stopped for petrol) did everything become as it was before.Have any of u guys experienced this before and may I ask your recommended solutions?I was also seriously considering changing engine & gearbox one shot to 528i. I checked and halfcut for 528i e39 single vanos auto cost itself is around RM 8.5k..am guessing w/ labour etc total cost would be around 14k? Given gearbox only replacement itself is around RM 5-6K (with labour), wouldn't it be better to replace engine + gearbox at the same time? My 2.0 L engine is currently at 176k kms. Furthermore.. the power and torque figures of the 528i would make the heavy E39 body much more driveable.. according to what I'm reading here in the forums.Appreciate the opinions/recommendations of all sifus out there !!Cheers

You could go ahead with the engine/trans transplant as you have mentioned.....

or

if you're planning to salvage this old tired engine, you could do a full overhaul (of course change the block to a 528 block) and a ATF change.

I may have a feeling that your current GB is only having a minor leak and it does not have any severe symptom. My guess, is your vanos seal is shot and it may need a new Beisan Vanos Seal. Yes, the vanos seal can contribute to the symptom of not having to change gear promptly too.

Of course at the same time, do get your timing checked out. At that mileage, i do believe it may have run out of spec resulting in flat spots in the rev.

Thanks bimmerholic for your response... will get the vanos seals checked out... any idea what would be the cost to drop down gearbox and replace seals??
Another mechanic told me it could be the throttle cable jammed and needs to be adjusted...

Also have another query... I recently had some undercarriage thrust arms, control arms and bushing replaced and the car drives well at low to medium speeds.
However when was speeding along NS h'way... at speed of 135 km/h onwards I could feel the rear moving around...didn't inspire confidence..
Any guess what it could be??
I'm using 18" orig M3 rims w/ 'admittedly' China made tyres..could it be the tyres thats causing the shimmys at high speeds or other items??
Appreciate advice

yoman1979;701320 said:
Thanks bimmerholic for your response... will get the vanos seals checked out... any idea what would be the cost to drop down gearbox and replace seals??
Another mechanic told me it could be the throttle cable jammed and needs to be adjusted...

Also have another query... I recently had some undercarriage thrust arms, control arms and bushing replaced and the car drives well at low to medium speeds.
However when was speeding along NS h'way... at speed of 135 km/h onwards I could feel the rear moving around...didn't inspire confidence..
Any guess what it could be??
I'm using 18" orig M3 rims w/ 'admittedly' China made tyres..could it be the tyres thats causing the shimmys at high speeds or other items??
Appreciate advice

Bro, my random shot for the shimmy is the M3 rims. Although it is an original tyre, its not meant for E39 and most probably has been rebored to fit. If it was not done properly thats what causing the shimmys.

As I said, random shot but it is possible and has happened to a few guys here.

Hi guys,
I'm actually using M6 rims, not M3.... heard the E39 is very specific on which rims are compatible w/ stock. Any idea if M6 rims would cause an issue?
I think my undercarriage should be ok... cos if there were problems, they would probably manifest themselves below 130 km/hr right?

See example pic to show the rims.

Cheers

cyne;701713 said:
Total cost set me back around RM900.

Was also quoted around the same price by my mechanic, for changing a couple of seals - selector shaft and cable coming out above the GB. As you said, the seals are not expensive.

Minor leaks that the mechanic said we can live with and the money better spent on replacing/repairing other more urgent/critical parts. Just need to check the level 2-3 times a year and top if necessary or replace the transmission oil every year.

guys, thanks for the input so far..will wait and see if any issues develop.. I just topped up the ATF and will monitor to see if any more leaks...and try not to drive more than 140 km/h
In the meantime, I have to say that the E39 is by far the most satisfying to drive, luxurious and competent machine I've ever driven.
All it needs now is more juice :)

hahh...the poison begins !.. any idea whats the cost for m54b30? Need halfcut or can just put engine in and use current gearbox?
Heard just to do engine (not gearbox) swap w/ M52B28 will be easier and total cost incl labour would be around RM 9k ...guessing M54b30 will be much costlier and more involved....

Depending whats currently in your car I guess? If its post a certain date in 1998 the wiring are similar to later ones (M52TU & M54). If say 1997 car, it would need complete wiring loom, meaning will need a halfcut for the wiring and other parts.

Manual eh.. I WISH !!! Unfortunately, car from across the border so not really the best thing to do :)
My car is 1997 April production, so the early batch of M52s..so guessing will be pretty involved moving to M54?
Guess when the time comes, can get M52B28 eng only and perhaps stroke to 3.0???(any opinions if this stroking to 3.0 will be a challenge to mechanic?), and then replace all seals on existing gbox (since I heard that M52B28 gearbox is same as that for M52B20). Current eng + gbox has only 176 k mileage.. so gbox shouldbe able to tahan quite a bit more.
My dream would be M54B30 w/ SC, of course :)...or go mad w/ 2JZ.. lol

Hi guys, update: took car to wkshp reg the accelerator problem. Recap is that when I put car in 'D' and drive, I cannot rev past 2700 RPM's....... there seems to be a 'WALL' in the accelerator pedal. Only when I use a sudden jab at the throttle does it break through the 'WALL' and immediately rev high up to 5-6k RPM's. However, when in 'P' parked mode, engine has no problems revving up smoothly.
This leads me to think something is wrong w/ my gearbox... Workshop also thinks so.. but they can't say what.
Anyone has any ideas?

Cheers and belated gong xi fa cai !!!!

anyone? Would anyone out there be able to advise me how much a gearbox overhaul would cost in KL? ......must be a gearbox problem
Cheers

yoman1979;714845 said:
anyone? Would anyone out there be able to advise me how much a gearbox overhaul would cost in KL? ......must be a gearbox problem
Cheers

Sorry bro, never did any gb overhaul before. I was quoted gb "service" RM1.5k though.

If you're a sticky fler I can sell you my full set 5sp manual.

Guaranteed low maintenance in long term and no acceleration problem.

Top Bottom