e36 steering rack on e30..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

elclassico

Club Guest
guys,sifus,e30 ol'timer..need advice here,my e30 steering got too much 'free'.my mech said gotta change the rack.he advice me to convert to e36 rack.whats the pros & cons of using 36 rack?is this conversion involve major/permanent modification on the chassis/engine or whatsoever..pls 'school' me guys.im not that good in mech thing..

Hi bro,

I had problem with my steering rack before (too heavy on one side). My mech advised me to overhaul the steering rack. I gave the green light and the steering is working fine now. FYI, my car is M20.

Maybe you can consider this as another option coz before this, I was thinking of converting to E36 steering rack as well.

Thanx keano..very helpful..

Hi bob,
Found that no leakage on my rack.maybe the problem due to the housing.so no point of overhauling the rack right?

evilnickwong;703069 said:
You can refer to this guide on e30zone for RHD cars to get an idea of what's involved:
http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Steering_Rack_Conversions

Mainly modifying the steering joint to the correct length, and some spacers to mount the rack properly.

Pros? You get the faster steering from the E36 rack compared to the E30's 4.1 lock to lock.

When you mentioned 'faster steering',is it faster response from the steering when turning?if it so then it will be interesting..

Thanx bro..very helpful..got to confirm my rack problem 1st whether can overhaul or need to change it.considering convert to 36 rack.Like keano said in his past thread,We might lose e30 originality but handling effectiveness is another thing.i would like a fun to drive car.

bro,

I have done this convert and can recommend our forumer's garage who did this complete conversion for me.

His name is Jeff Ewe and the workshop is Toyzmech.......PM him lar. ( he is one of the founding member of the club....)

Yes, its a good upgrade to have cos i dun need be worried about the lack of good racks anymore.....and the e30s once are not getting any cheaper!

Thanx jules..will pm him later.so how about the steering wheel?can i still use 30 steering wheel or need to use 36 steering wheel?

Thats good..been surfing mudah and indeed 36 rack is cheaper than 30 and still lot of stocks at chop shop.i may loose a bit of 30 originality but 36's still bmw right..so mine is still germans not pan-asian..

Jules;703498 said:
bro,

I have done this convert and can recommend our forumer's garage who did this complete conversion for me.

His name is Jeff Ewe and the workshop is Toyzmech.......PM him lar. ( he is one of the founding member of the club....)

Yes, its a good upgrade to have cos i dun need be worried about the lack of good racks anymore.....and the e30s once are not getting any cheaper!

care to share the cost of the conversion bro?

elclassico;703060 said:
Thanx keano..very helpful..

Hi bob,
Found that no leakage on my rack.maybe the problem due to the housing.so no point of overhauling the rack right?

Sorry for late reply.

Agree with you there. Actually I'm newbie in E30. :p

Pls update on your steering rack conversion, if you decide to go ahead.

Maybe I'll consider this option also the next time my steering rack 'buat perangai'. :D

Good luck bro.

elclassico;703859 said:
Me also newbie..thats the use of this fOrum right..

Agree with you again bro.

I made my decision to buy an E30 after browsing through this forum. Very helpful.

Cheers.

Good discussion. I'm also still considering this E36 option, but haven't taken the plunge yet since I've heard from some mechs that I may lose "drivability" of the e30..Don't really know what that really means since current rack on my m20b25 sucks. And this is AFTER refurbishing the rack's parts. I guess The wear and tear of the metal parts just means they need replacing..which isvery difficult to find for the E30.

the e30 and e36 rack is the same dimensions in length minus the diameter as the rack is a bit fatter.
driving with the rack is no difference from the original.

but the feel is a faster turning rack which is bonus the overall handling of it... same as the e30M3 left hand rack...

elclassico;703584 said:
care to share the cost of the conversion bro?

Bro, I really dun know as it was a contra for a sponsorship.......so best you ask Jeff.

Yes, you can use the E30 wheel, no issue.

Top Bottom