E36 no cranking

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

busdriver

Club Guest
Hi thr,Encountered tis problem today.. Switching on the ignition, everything works well i.e. lights,acond,player but when starting thrs just no response. No cranking nothing whatsoever. Anyone encountered this before? Mine is 318 M43.. Thank you..

Try to use jumper and start. I did able to start my car twice, similar situation.

Now using push start button. No issue so far.

Battery kong.. and most probably alternator also kaput...

Happen to my dad's Wira aeroback, also use "Push Start" and counter no problem after all.. But not "Push Start button" laa, but push and start! :24:

Fireuz;738948 said:
Battery kong.. and most probably alternator also kaput...

Happen to my dad's Wira aeroback, also use "Push Start" and counter no problem after all.. But not "Push Start button" laa, but push and start! :24:

Haha nice one bro! Push and start eh?

To bro busdriver, based on your description you might would want to check your starter first as suggested by Galaxy7..did you notice any symptoms before this happened?

Hi brothers,

Thanx for the input. My mechanic did come over to my place yesterday and he suspects the starter is the culprit. But what I noticed today morning is that when the power is turned on, the power window doesnt work at all. When it usually does right?...Its as though the whole car have been immobilised. However, my immobiliser system have not been working since I bought the car 2yrs back. Battery is still in good condition. Just got it towed to the workshop. Hopefully will be able to settle this problem...

could be a loose battery terminal ....check that ... if it's not loose then try to turn on your key to start mode and try honking for a minute ...by the pitch of the horn you'll be able to determine if the battery is weak... if so that you've replace a new battery, get the voltmeter and check the alternator current output ... just to be sure that that alternator is charging accordingly ...

if the culprit is the starter ...you'll hear a winning sound upon cranking ... try giving it a knock on the body and try cranking it again ...if indeed it started then it's the starter ..but before doing this pls just have a look at the starter assy ..could even be the starter terminal wire worn out ....

well hope this info could help a little somehow

Not sure if you've solved the problem yet, but for starter / half-dead battery problems, you'll usually still hear the starter trying to engage. (i.e. " Chak-whirrrr", you'll hear the "chak"). If starter is completely dead, you should still notice the interior lights getting slightly dim as current is passed into the starter.

Otherwise, starter switch problem. :D

P.S. When the starter doesnt work / crank properly, do not hold the key in the "crank" position for too long. Current is still passing and, since movement is restricted, temperature builds in your wires and they may melt.

Something like turning on the fan and not letting it turn by holding on to the fan blades. It'll burn.

busdriver;738885 said:
Hi thr,

Encountered tis problem today.. Switching on the ignition, everything works well i.e. lights,acond,player but when starting thrs just no response. No cranking nothing whatsoever. Anyone encountered this before? Mine is 318 M43.. Thank you..

Which year of ur car manufactured ? ur car has EWS ?

Top Bottom