E36 Engine noise and fuel consumption

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

e36kid

Club Guest
Hi,My e36 (1994) engine noice roar loudly when step on the acelarator, can anyone share with me is it normal ? and how heavy is the fuel consumption like for e36....

The roar you hear might be the fan, which is normal. The fan kicks in when the engine is hot.

Fuel consumption varies significantly, depending on the model (318, 325 or 328?), overall efficiency of the engine, the driving style, etc etc. There are many threads on this if you search. A range of 11 - 15 litre/100 km is not unknown.

Hi Lee, hope your car is out of the workshop. Yet to meet up eh? Anyway for those who may want to know, my 1996 E36 328i is costing me 26sen per kilometer for petrol and about RM4.50 per day on road tax.

Hi guys,

Thanks. The roaring noise is loud. It sound like the car engine has problem and no power, especially in basement parking. Any suggestion how to reduce/fix the noise problem ?

Today, I have another problem, the engine temperature hit red light-up during the jam to work. Will the engine die off when temperature hit red ? and is it has to wait until the temperature cool down then only can start the car again.

As for fuel consumption, my e36 cost about 40sen/km ?! quite high isn't it !

Appreciate you guys advise on my e36 problem.

e36kid,

Sounds like something is wrong with your engine cooling system. Temperature in the red is not a good sign. Bring it to a workshop asap and check for any damages from the overheating - gasket, engine block, etc. And fix what is causing the overheating.

40 sen/km is high. 25-30 sen/km is within range. May be related to the overheating problem.

Normally when temperature is shown red the engine 'll stop automatically otherwise the smoke come out. Then if engine wont stop u must off e engine , stop the car & open the front bonet, let it cool down 1st. Then when it already cool down open ur radiator cap see got water or already finish!!... if out of water u fill the water in ur radiator see is there any leakin?.. if u c water flow down down e engine.. so ur water pump huv to change as well as termostat. if leaking on ur radiator so may be can welding if too bad huv to change radiator. but u also huv to check the cap of engine oil if u c inside the cap shown like burn u huv to do ur top overhead.... hopefully not affected ur headcam.
my experience in overheating coz by waterpump. i huv to call the tow truck which coz me RM150 from s.Alam (Bt.3 tol) to Wangsa Maju. luckily I only pay RM50 coz RM100 borne by Puspakom - MASA..which I fill up e form when doin inspection..

overheat when traffic ...psl check ur fan ......

40/km is definately high ......Pls check ur AFM if 318, MAF if 325 or 328.....O2 sensor as well .......

For the noise ...when is the last u change ur belting ?????

Dear bro,

What do you mean by O2 sensor? does this sickness have something to do with fuel consumption? My car as well appeared O2 sensor when run computer test.

tq

O2 (oxygen) sensor is to sense the percentage of oxygen in the exhaust gas, it indicates whether the combustion is proper and complete, if not, the engine computer will adjust the air-fuel mixture (by varying amount of fuel injected) accordingly until the combustion process is correct to give you the best performance and lowest nasty exhaust gas emission... So, if the sensor if not working you might be running rich, there goes all your unburnt petrol, into the exhaust, wasting $$$

Watch out, running an overheated engine can cause very serious damage, eventually, the overheated pistons will expand so much that it will seize and jam in the cylinder... So, before the pistons seize, you willl usually experience a big loss of power already.

I'm getting 20-21sen/km on average in city driving... 325i manual... heh heh... :D

LCP;206907 said:
I'm getting 20-21sen/km on average in city driving... 325i manual... heh heh... :D

Hhehhehheheheh.....of cause loh ...manual mah ......always will get better mileage

LCP;206907 said:

i better than you..... 0.27 sens per kilo... and dropping... :rolleyes:

Lee36328... it's RM1.92/litre, not RM1.95. Only V-power is RM2.15, not using that.

Top Bottom